PDA

View Full Version : Discover Scuba Diving...positive or negative experience?

DiveKwaj
01-04-2008, 23:41
I'm would like to hear from individuals who have participated in Padi's Discover Scuba Diving program and what their experience was...good, bad, indifferent. What were the costs, what did you do, see and would you recommend it to anyone?

medicdiver
01-05-2008, 04:02
I had my wife do the discover scuba class and it gave her the confidence to do the open water with me. The cost was free since I bought my gear through the LDS. Over all it was ok and worth the experience.

snagel
01-05-2008, 04:31
Definately, a positive experience (atleast for me). Wife, 10 year old (at the time) son, and I all went together. Watched a short video and then went out to the lake. Did about 1/2 of drills. My wife and I both were very nervous for our son, but we were amazed how well he was doing. Started the dive and got to about 10 feet and wife surfaced. She had a real bad reverse sinus squeeze. Her dive was over. Went down again and got about 10 feet again and son motioned that he was have problems with his ears. Worked on it for a bit and finally called the dive for him. The instructor and I finshed the dive - about a 45 minute dive to about 25 feet at most. I was hooked, the rest of the family never moved on with diving.

Cost: I think it was about $75 for all of us. I can't remember too much about what he really charged us because he cut his price because of what happened and we had other certified divers who we new that came along and did their own dive while he dove with us.

If you have never dove and think you might want to, this is the first step that I highly recommend. In my case, if we would have jumped right into OW class, would my wife and son finished - who knows?

S. Nagel

ScubaGir1
01-05-2008, 05:35
I'm not sure if what we did was a discover scuba, but we were in Hawaii and we got a crash coarse in diving. Then they took us out to Molokini Island (in Maui) and we dove there at around 35ft. It was awesome. If it weren't for that, who knows how much longer it would have taken me to get certified :D

cheebaweebie
01-05-2008, 08:18
first dive I ever did was in Jamiaca and was addicted ever since. Since my wife if deaf in one ear (from birth) she has been hesitant to attempt the diving thing because if for some reason an accident happens and she loses her hearing she is screwed. The jamiaca dive could have well been considered a discover scuba dive but I would fully endorse that type of dive for someone thinking of getting into the sport. for me there was no turning back but for some one like my friend who went through the cert class with me... he has dove 3x in 5 years. he just doesn't find the interest in it that I do. He should have did the discover scuba prior to spending theh cash on the gear.

jwdizney
01-05-2008, 08:37
Discover Scuba was my turning point from chronic water "Phobe" to certified diver!

http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/1816-husband-taking-discover-scuba-weekend.html?highlight=discover+scuba

Tom A
01-05-2008, 21:50
wife an daughter did it but not with padi ssi daughter was sure before but after it was ready to go wife said it helped here to get use to it an make getting certed more fun

the register
01-05-2008, 23:02
Took the discover class with my fiancee as a birthday present (for me). I found out that I definitely wanted to learn to dive, but that it was definitely harder than I thought it would be.

She found out she didn't like how loud breathing is, and that its really hard to stay under water when the guy setting up your equipment forgets to give you a weight belt ....

Duckydiver
01-06-2008, 20:28
I took a discover scuba in st thomas while on a cruise. Well worth the expirience. It cost about $2500

whse56
01-06-2008, 21:18
Went to Hawaii years ago and dove with a DM down to about 40ft, no video, just a thorough breifing. It definetly gave me a taste for diving. Just had to wait until I could find the right dive partner to get serious about it.

Bigg_Budd
01-06-2008, 21:27
Took my wife as a way to introduce her to scuba. She loved it. Very patient instructor, and he even let me dive with them. I highly recommend for anyone that has concerns/questions regarding scuba as a first step...

Clanggedin
01-06-2008, 22:29
Took myself and my scouts to a Discover Scuba course a few months ago. The LDS was offering classes for free. Took the class and had an awesome time.

Now my nephew wants to go to one to see if scuba is for him.

scarlet&gray nut
01-09-2008, 14:23
Did my 1st discovery dive in Cozumel, did it with my wife and daughter. The instructor was not very patient. We had 4 people in our group and he gave everyone one chance to drop and recover their reg. I was the only one that could do it. so I was the only one that got to go on the dive.

FOUNDATIONER
01-09-2008, 15:16
Sandals MoBay is where I did mine. Feb 02. It was free then.
The instructor, "Termi", caught me snorkeling, dragged me up
to the pool, threw me in and said, "LEARN". I had a great time
and never looked back to the dismay of my wife. Like amatuer
astronomy isn't an expensive enough hobby:smiley2:.
I even took a camera with me on my very first dive.

DUnder
01-14-2008, 16:26
Took my Discover Scuba in Hawaii. The instructor spent 1 hour going through the basics. Explained the gear and how it worked. Then we all geared up in the pool. We had to clear the mask and do a reg recovery. After that we had the option of doing 2 dives in the ocean. It cost $125.00 for the 2 tank boat dive.
I found it very helpful and enjoyable.

chilly willy
03-06-2009, 09:21
I was disappointed with the instructor that was the cause for my wife not enjoying the experence, he didn't cover mask flooding and reg recovery well enough so when it happened to her she panicked and bolted for the surface. No injuries but she is very reluctant to do it again.

scubadiver888
03-06-2009, 10:43
I did a discovery dive in Dominican Republic for $35. I survived without injury. Other people were not so lucky. Person who gave us the pool lesson did not join us on the open water portion. Equipment we used at the resort was not the equipment used for the open water portion. Dive masters who took us out did not speak English very well. Looking back on it, I should have gone with my gut and said no to the open water portion.

Two years later I was honeymooning in Jamaica and discovery dive was free at the resort. Sat in on the class portion. Watched the people in the pool. Asked a lot of questions.

Person giving the pool session was the person taking us out to open water. Equipment used in the pool was the equipment used in the open water portion. Instructor seemed much more concerned about our safety.

Was an incredible experience.

If you check other threads about PADI versus SSI or SSI versus NAUI or agency1 versus agency2 you will see a number of people indicating it is all about the instuctor. If the instructor does the minimum requirement it won't be as good as the instructor who goes above and beyond.

So make sure the person teaching you and the equipment you use is the same for pool and open water plus you have to have a good feeling about the instructor.

Byte Me
03-06-2009, 10:49
Definitely a positive experience for me. The dive/snorkel shop - Maya Diving - at the resort we were at - Dreams Tulum - talked me in to that after a snorkel trip. I was reluctant but they said if I didn't like it they'd give me my money back. The pool stuff was easy and the open water I was nervous for but had a blast. It was life changing. I went again with them the next day came back home and signed up for open water. It was $99 for the discover which included the first ocean dive and then $40 for addl ocean dives after that.

I got my recently retired parents a discover gift certificate from a shop in FL where they winter. I was able to go with them on it since we happened to be down there and they both just loved it. My mom for sure is doing her OW cert later this summer and we're going to try and get to Playa del Carmen in Nov / Dec and get them their first ocean dives! It was $160 for both of them for discover which included a CD full of pictures and a really well done gift certificate. No pool work, everything was done in Alexander Spring, FL.

To me it's like living with someone before you get married - you get to try it on and make sure everything fits before you make a big commitment!

BTW - excellent point scubadiver888 makes; both instructors that I've been involved with were awesome. I've heard horror stories from others about not so good instructors.

CompuDude
03-06-2009, 13:02
I was certified at 16 (full course), and only snorkeled before. But I know many people who had their first taste of scuba from a Discover Scuba program, and are die hard divers today.

I think that, properly done with attention to safety, it's a fantastic tool to attract new divers to the sport who wouldn't otherwise want to go through the commitment of a full cert course.

One of my LDSs actually offers it for free every week as a leader to attract new divers. Great idea, IMO.

scubasamurai
03-07-2009, 19:24
yes my lds does the same thing, it is always a good way to get people in the water withour renting or buying all the gear. when they get a taste of diving then they are hooked!!! great program

LaCroix42
03-07-2009, 19:59
Took my wife to Scuba Toys for her Discovery class. She was EXTREMELY hesitant about it, and just about started crying pool-side. I came along with my gear to some some water time, and the instructor doing the class was fine with that. He kept her in the shallow end of the pool, did not allow fins on her, and went over reg replace (first, which she aced), mask remove/replace and just plain sit on the bottom of the pool.

Once those drills were done, he let us play around for about 30 minutes. As I said, she was terrified at first thinking claustrophobia would kick in. I told her three times "If you don't want to take the class, tell me now before we drop $1500 on gear and classes for you, but you will most likely enjoy this and not doing the discovery at least for a minute would be a tragedy."

We walked out with a class scheduled and another $300 towards Joe, Larry and their over-head. :D

Vercingetorix
03-07-2009, 21:13
I got a Discover SCUBA session for my nephew for his birthday. He thoroughly enjoyed it. The instructor, international underwater photographer and writer, was very patient with him. My nephew enjoyed it and wants to continue.

Tully Mars
03-08-2009, 22:23
I go out on the discovery dive boat all the time at three different dive shops up and down the Costa Maya. It's a cheap or free dive for me. I think the experience is highly dependent on a couple factors. First some people just don't like the water and aren't ever going to. Two some instructors are more patient then others.

Most of the time I think it's a decent way to check it out and see if it's something you'd like to do. I did it years and several hundred dives ago.

paperdesk
04-14-2009, 00:18
My wife and I took a discover dive to see if we wanted to continue on to the Open Water course. We were hooked!

It was a fantastic experience for us. Not so for my dad who took it another time. The instructor (same one we used) literally pulled him down, even with my dad signing he was having trouble with his ears. I don't know what went wrong, but we had a hard time convincing my dad to try it again. Maybe the instructor was having a hard day or something.

A friend took a Discover "course" in Mexico, then they let her dive just like any certified diver, only she had to pay more. No instructor was on the dives, and the DM didn't even stay close to her or watch her. We quickly figured out we had to act as DM's for her or no one would. Of course she thought she was a "diver" though she had basicly no training. It was really scary. She did well with what she knew, but what she knew amounted to almost nothing. They didn't even teach her how to adjust the bouyancy in her BCD.

Some discover dives are great and others terrible. I've seen it go both ways, even from the same instructor.

Tully Mars
04-14-2009, 07:17
A friend took a Discover "course" in Mexico, then they let her dive just like any certified diver, only she had to pay more. No instructor was on the dives, and the DM didn't even stay close to her or watch her. We quickly figured out we had to act as DM's for her or no one would. Of course she thought she was a "diver" though she had basicly no training. It was really scary. She did well with what she knew, but what she knew amounted to almost nothing. They didn't even teach her how to adjust the bouyancy in her BCD.

This can be a problem down here in Mexico. I think most of the time, not always but most of the time, it's with large dive ops where the goal is to push as many divers through as possible. I was reading another thread and someone mentioned a father/son discover diver team going down to 80ft with all the other divers. That's not how it's suppose to be done. The max on that course is, I think, 40ft.

Like anything do a little research and find a good shop/instructor to do it and I think it's a fine way to find out if scuba is for you.

BTW- When I did my discover course years ago a friend joined me. He hated it and has never don a BC since. I loved it and signed up for a full course a soon as I got home. Been diving ever since.

Lulubelle
04-14-2009, 07:42
I took a Discover Scuba course with my friend when we were at the JW Marriott in Cancun for an award trip. The instructor was fantastic and very thorough. He was working with 4 of us, my friend and I and a father/son pair from the midwest. My friend could not equalize and did not go out to the ocean dives. The other 3 of us did.

The instructors/DMs on the ocean dives were different. We went to 35 feet. They babysat us and would not let us touch the air in our BCs. The son of the man in our class got spooked and did not make it down. Because the dive went well I was able to go out the next day and went on 2 50 foot dives. I was hooked.

I returned to Cancun for a meeting the following year and did my certification with the same instructor who worked with me one on one and was terrific.

I'd recommend these classes to anyone who is curious. Perhaps not to someone who isn't completely ocean comfortable to start though, at least not in this setting.

Tully Mars
04-14-2009, 08:01
I took a Discover Scuba course with my friend when we were at the JW Marriott in Cancun for an award trip. The instructor was fantastic and very thorough. He was working with 4 of us, my friend and I and a father/son pair from the midwest. My friend could not equalize and did not go out to the ocean dives. The other 3 of us did.

The instructors/DMs on the ocean dives were different. We went to 35 feet. They babysat us and would not let us touch the air in our BCs. The son of the man in our class got spooked and did not make it down. Because the dive went well I was able to go out the next day and went on 2 50 foot dives. I was hooked.

I returned to Cancun for a meeting the following year and did my certification with the same instructor who worked with me one on one and was terrific.

I'd recommend these classes to anyone who is curious. Perhaps not to someone who isn't completely ocean comfortable to start though, at least not in this setting.

Was that through dive shop at the Marriott?

Lulubelle
04-14-2009, 08:06

Was that through dive shop at the Marriott?

Yes Tully, the JW Marriott though, not the Magna Casa. They have a cool training pool with a thirty foot depth and fake coral. Fernando was the instructor. I was less impressed with the folks on the OW dives, but they were good enough, some were terrific as well. If you know those folks, tell Fernando he made a real diver out of me and that I'm diving with the sharks in NC now!

Cougar Diver
04-16-2009, 13:01
Positive. I took my family on an adventure. We did the discovery scuba class at a local dive shop. Cost was $25 per person. Instructor was awesome! I worried about my son who was 14. He was the first one at the deep end of the pool. (upsidedown!)

bennerman
04-16-2009, 15:04
I got a Discover SCUBA session for my nephew for his birthday. He thoroughly enjoyed it. The instructor, international underwater photographer and writer, was very patient with him. My nephew enjoyed it and wants to continue.

Nice job... "Mommy, Uncle Vercingetorix paid $30 for discover scuba, if you don't pay $400 for lessons, I am going to make a scene." They must have hated you :P. BTW, love your Avatar :)

mocepts
04-16-2009, 15:08
I did the YMCA discover scuba, and it worked out great. My wife wasn't planning on taking the class, but after she accompanied me to the discover scuba class and some of the other wives talked her into it, she decided to try it. Now I have a live-in dive buddy!

plot
04-26-2009, 12:05
Cost is relative. If they try it and don't like it, they're out whatever money they paid for the class. Pretty cheap experience in that case.

If they like it and go onto scuba... well, we all know the costs of that. $$$$$$

It's a course intended to let people try scuba and let them decide to go farthur with it or not, and it does that very well. I know alot of people that started with discover scuba and continued or want to continue. The only people with bad experiences it seems, are the ones that simply don't want to be divers or arn't cut out for it.

kat
04-26-2009, 22:47
At the end of my ow class, 2 of the divers realized they really aren't into diving. They are certified, but they wished that they would have done a discover class before putting out the money and time for the ow.

UofTOrange
06-08-2009, 13:28
I would vote for doing a class like this in Cozumel or something, that way you get hooked immediately with the clear water

mitsuguy
06-09-2009, 16:47
At our shop, we do DSD's on a daily basis... 9 times out of 10, I can tell how well someone is going to do in the water before we even put their BC's on... I would say that we are all extremely patient. We have a group of 5 instructors, and each of us are very patient with the DSD'ers... It's one of those things - I want everyone to have a good experience, so I'll do anything I need to in order to make them like it - make it easy on them, take my time, etc. Obviously no matter what, there are a few skills and then the 40' max OW dive just afterwards... I really wish I could make everyone love it, but at the same time, I know its not for everyone...

bennerman
06-09-2009, 16:56
At our shop, we do DSD's on a daily basis... 9 times out of 10, I can tell how well someone is going to do in the water before we even put their BC's on... I would say that we are all extremely patient. We have a group of 5 instructors, and each of us are very patient with the DSD'ers... It's one of those things - I want everyone to have a good experience, so I'll do anything I need to in order to make them like it - make it easy on them, take my time, etc. Obviously no matter what, there are a few skills and then the 40' max OW dive just afterwards... I really wish I could make everyone love it, but at the same time, I know its not for everyone...

Cocaine on the mouthpiece... works every time :smilie39:

RnSdiver
06-11-2009, 00:01

Heroin would be better for their Sac Rate. ;)

bennerman
06-11-2009, 06:58

Heroin would be better for their Sac Rate. ;)

No stupid, you make money on fills too!

navyhmc
06-11-2009, 07:09
I did the precursor to Discover Scuba back in '74. I was already hooked on scuba, but that sealed the deal! I like the program.

rednose83
09-29-2009, 11:27
I'm would like to hear from individuals who have participated in Padi's Discover Scuba Diving program and what their experience was...good, bad, indifferent. What were the costs, what did you do, see and would you recommend it to anyone?

I did DSD in Mahahual, Mexico while on a cruise stop. I felt like we didn't have enough info so I did not complete the dive. My DH completed the dive and liked it.

rmkrause
09-29-2009, 19:36
I did DS in a pool at a LDS, it was $25, and while just in a pool - found the concept cool enough to just go for it all and do PADI OWD. I was pretty confident I'd like diving. Did the PADI eLearning shortly after and then did OW while on vacation. Definitely was worth the $25. Diving is awesome.

On the other hand, the wife had a bad experience during the DS - the instructor didn't have a mask that fit her well so she had a lot of difficulty equalizing, and the experience really turned her off the idea of doing scuba. When I did my OWD I think the only reason she was willing to give it another shot was the fact I told her about all the sea turtle and rays and whatnot I was seeing on my check out dives.

We got her own mask and snorkel and my forth check out dive also served as a DSD dive for her - she was scared descending the first time due to the bad previous experience but was fine with the better fitting mask - got to swim along side a sea turtle and in general found the experience awesome.

My first OWD was supposed to be a DSD with the wife, which didn't work out when she got seasick while snorkeling earlier on. So, my first OWD was also a DSD and was shared with another woman doing a DSD - she had a rental mask that presumably didn't fit her that well, was scared to begin with, and she couldn't deal with the mask getting water in it - she'd instantly shoot to the surface. After about 5 minutes she called it quits.

Lulubelle
09-29-2009, 19:52
I tried DS on a whim, had some funds to blow from an award trip to Cancun that could not purchase "stuff". I had a terrific instructor, it was a fabulous experience, and I went back and did my OW with him the following year. I always thought that scuba looked like a PITA and couldn't figure out why people did it when they could just snorkel.

Really, it was the instructor who made it fabulous. Fortunate accident, I really love it down under.

1FAST05
01-01-2010, 18:03
I did a DS in Montego Bay, Jamaica. It was an awesome experience except during the training portion in the pool I was paired up with a girl (the only other person to do DS that day) and she panicked in the pool during the OOA training and buddy breathing. She didn't show up for the dive that day so it was just me and my instructor (plus other divers but we didn't dive with them). It was an awesome experience but my reg started breathing really wet at about 15' so I had to switch to my octo and we surfaced to fix it. Otherwise he complimented my buoyancy control, fin technique and overall calmness. So the dive the next day he took me to and through a few places he wouldn't normally take a new diver. The 3rd day/dive the girl showed back up on the boat with her boyfriend who was certified and we had a good almost non eventful dive, except her mask fogged/she freaked a little and her bf was not happy with her. Overall I had a great experience that I would not have otherwise had and that led me to pursue diving farther.

phil_218
01-31-2010, 00:50
While preparing for a cruise that stopped in Cozumel I contacted a diver operator and booked a 2-tank dive for me and 2-tank discover scuba for my wife. When we got to Cozumel we met the DO at the marina and was outfitted with the rental gear and the DM began going over the instructions with my wife. He explained to her they would don the gear and would be doing the giant stride off the boat, she was okay with that. While still enroute to the first dive site the DO owner began explaining all of the instructions again to ensure she understood, and she seemed fine with everything. She was willing to try scuba and swims well, but does have a fear of being underwater.

Once at the first dive site the divers jumped in and started the dive. Upon my return to the boat I saw a very pissed off wife. She wouldn't say much of anything for the first 30 minutes of my SI, then she relayed the events of her "Discover Scuba".

She said they got her into her gear and the owner said "Okay, now we're going to stand on the side of the boat and hold the regulator in our mouth for a couple of minutes." So she carefully stood up on the gunwale and held the regulator as instructed. The owner then pushed her off of the boat without warning into 50' of water. She surfaced like a scalded cat and the mask came off and the regulator came out. The owner argued with her for a little while trying to get her to put the mask and regulator back in place; she finally complied. The owner got into the water and tried to calm her down, but she was alreay panicked and starting to have an anxiety attack. She would take the mask off and he'd begin splashing her ace with water telling her to put the mask back on.

Eventually he asked if she was ready to descend and she said "no". They waited a minute or so and he asked again, she still said "no". After about the fourth time of asking he began deflating her bcd and she panicked as she began to descend. She climbed him like a scalded cat and he finally let her get back into the boat which she'd been asking to do for several minutes.

The upside is that there was a group of snorkelers on the boat also, and she snorkeled with them at the second site, which she absolutely loved. I paid $120 for her to have an awesome experience in one of the best dive locations and because he didn't handle his student correctly she is totally turned off about scuba and refuses to even think of trying again. I was really hoping she'd fall in love with it as much as I have and I'd have a dive buddy for life. Now I have a wife who resents scuba and thankfully does enjoy snorkeling blue water.

We are now planning a family cruise to Cozumel and she's looking forward to snorkeling again. But you can bet it won't be with the same DO.

I think the Discover Scuba would be a great introduction for a prospective diver if done with a quality instructor.

Trunk_Monkey
02-26-2010, 21:47
I did DS in a pool at a LDS, it was $25, and while just in a pool - found the concept cool enough to just go for it all and do PADI OWD. I was pretty confident I'd like diving. Did the PADI eLearning shortly after and then did OW while on vacation. Definitely was worth the $25. Diving is awesome.

They charge for DS? Here it's free through the LDS. I was the only one signed up for it that night (there was a NAUI Adv.OW class going on too), so I had a DM all to myself.

I was already pretty sure I'd like it since I love being in and under the water. About 3 minutes into being underwater, I was hooked. It made me realize what I had been missing. The DM told me that he figured about 80% of the folks who did DS through their shop signed up for the next available OW class.

What shark?
07-02-2010, 22:34
I did DS twice with really different experiences.

Time 1 in Cancun-
They offered it at the resort I was staying at. We spent some time going through the flips charts and talking about stuff. Then we geared up and got in the deep pool and spent a while just moving around, playing catch, taking our regs out and recovering them and just getting comfortable. Later that day we took a boat out to a reef and did the actual dive. It was absolutely amazing to me as there were tons of things to see and the experience of diving was like flying. Other than sucking in some water and getting queasy on the boat ride back it was just fantastic. For some reason I didn't follow up on this and get certified.

Time 2 in St. Thomas-
A few years later on a cruise I decided to do it again. We did a cursory little thing in the 3-foot pool onboard and then took a bus ride over to a beach. They dive masters gave us a quickie rundown of the flip charts then got us suited up. We did a shore entry and were treated to an endless sand floor occasionally broken up by loan pieces of seaweed. I was happy to be underwater but it got rapidly boring so I started taking my reg out and recovering it like I had done in Cancun. I ended up screwing that up and almost did a panic ascent before the DM got me straightened out. Overall it was a pretty lousy experience (obviously partly self-inflicted). It was several years before I decided to give Scuba another go and signed up for OW.

I'm glad the Cancun one happened first or I wouldn't ever have tried again.

CJFish
08-12-2010, 16:31
I'm thinking about doing a resort course in Jamaica while there on vacation - OR - doing the online theory and then taking the certification for open water when I arrive at the resort. I currently am a little afraid of the water and not sure of my swimming skills - although I DO snorkel and love it. Any suggestions? It sounds like most people have enjoyed their discover courses and then felt more comfortable going on to getting certified. My husband is a certified diver, so that is part of the issue, because I would like to be able to go on dives with him...

Quero
08-12-2010, 20:49
I generally think it's better for prospective divers who aren't sure if they're going to like scuba to do face-to-face courses with their instructors rather than go for the more impersonal online option to certification. In your case, in order to get immediate "face time" with an instructor, I'd recommend doing a try dive (Discover Scuba/Resort course) before going whole hog with the full certification course. On the other hand, if you find you really like diving once you've tried it, you may not have the time or inclination to complete the entire course while you're on vacation, but then you could always do the online course after you get back home so that you're ready to dive on your next trip, or you can plan a subsequent trip around learning to dive.

When I have students who are sort of scared of the idea of being in deep water, I conduct a Discover Scuba in the swimming pool first and then the next day take the diver out into the ocean. That gives them a lot of confidence in their abilities to operate the equipment and control their movements in the water without the stress of actually being in the psychologically vast water of the ocean right away. Also, I teach one-on-one, which makes the wary student more comfortable, knowing that my attention is entirely on him/her. A typical resort course through a big busy shop could have a fair number of students in it, so if you go this route, spend a little extra money and request a private instructor. Your chances of having an excellent experience are better that way.