PDA

View Full Version : Dive Beaver

Lineman Larry
01-05-2008, 15:02
Dark Wolf and myself are going to make a dive at Beaver Lake on Jan 19th.
Shore dive off the Bluffs, recreational stuff.

We are considering 2 tank dive on Saturday, then staying at C&J Sports. Out to dinner, tell some lies and indulge in some adult beverages. Make a dive Sunday morning, then packing it up. These plans are not final by any means, but that is the thinking.

The big question. WHO WILL JOIN US?

plot
01-05-2008, 15:35
When it's warmer I'll be there.

Last time I was at Beaver we stopped in at C&J's and checked out their rooms. They're decent, especially for the price he charges.

Soonerwink
01-05-2008, 16:28
Be sure and ask Jim at C&J's if he will be able to unlock the gate to get down to the bluffs for you. They keep the gate locked in the winter. I think Jim has access to a key though. I know he did on New Years Day.

Tom A
01-05-2008, 16:34
im like plot it needs to warm up for me

DivingCRNA
01-05-2008, 17:00
I would like to go, but I have DM class.... And sunday school to teach sunday AM.

The bluffs with DW... You sure it is gonna be recreational?

divingchef
01-05-2008, 17:07
"nice beaver"......sorry I had to...

snagel
01-05-2008, 18:30
Aww Man....You guys know how to make it rough on a guy. Do you know how mad my wife would be if I went? I've been diving the last two weekends. I promised her that when it got cold I would finish the bathroom remodel (It's been tore up for over a year now, mostly due to I have better things like diving to do on the weekends - she's ready to hire the job out).

Tell you what, keep me posted. I might join. (But, don't tell my wife yet).

S. Nagel

Lineman Larry
01-05-2008, 18:56
Sooner...

Need to be there buddy.

snagel

You got this whole week in the evenings, this weekend and all next week to finish. No excuses now.

For everyone else...

I heard there was a heatwave coming on. Called Global Warming or something.

DivingCRNA
01-05-2008, 21:23
Aww Man....You guys know how to make it rough on a guy. Do you know how mad my wife would be if I went? I've been diving the last two weekends. I promised her that when it got cold I would finish the bathroom remodel (It's been tore up for over a year now, mostly due to I have better things like diving to do on the weekends - she's ready to hire the job out).

Tell you what, keep me posted. I might join. (But, don't tell my wife yet).

S. Nagel

I just noticed you are in Warrensburg. I have worked at Western Missouri Medical Center before.

Anyway... I have remodeled 5 bathrooms in my married life. Just bite the bullet and get it done!

billucusdiver
01-08-2008, 17:54
I would be interested in tagging along. Are there any other good shore diving sites in the area? I have not dove Beaver for several years but i stopped by last week and the vis must have been 30+.

snagel
01-08-2008, 18:02
Dudes,

I'm thinking I might tag along, but depends how much of this bathroom I can get done.... Nothing definate yet, but leaning that way. Here is the issue for me and don't be afraid to say "this isn't the dive for you". I just got drysuit certified this last weekend. Of course, I couldn't wait, so I'm waiting on my new drysuit to be delivered. If I'm able to go, I'd like to try out the new drysuit. So, my buoyancy and such will be something I would need to work out. Also, until I get more comfortable in this thing (which hopefully, I don't have too many troubles) I really don't want to get into any really deep dives - say over 60 feet.

I don't want to be a bummer with everybody else and want to be up front with what is going on. Again, if you don't want to hassle with all this, don't be afraid to say so.

S. Nagel

Lineman Larry
01-08-2008, 19:18
bullucusdiver...

The more the merrier. We will have to touch base with each other when we get closer to the 19th. Get some hard core plans tied down.

snagel...

Every dive is a training dive. If you re not working on something, you are moving backwards. Get that bath completed and come on down.

Wkndbum
01-08-2008, 19:28
I'm leaning towards joining up with you guys. It's about a 6 1/2 to 7 hr drive from Omaha so before I commit I want to get an idea of how the roads (weather wise) are going to be.

Should be able to tell by the 15th or 16th, if looking ok, I'll give Jim a shout & reserve a bed.

Terry

Tom A
01-08-2008, 20:13
is there a place to store a camper close by beaver

plot
01-08-2008, 20:49
is there a place to store a camper close by beaver

In the summer you can goto any of the state parks that are close to all the dive sites... in the winter though, I have no idea...

There's a walmart in bentonville about 30 minutes away you can leave it at I guess. :smiley2:

If you bring a smaller camper and rent a room at C&J's you might be able to park it there. I can't remember right off hand how much parking they have but this is probably there off season since hunting is pretty much done with too as far as I know. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask. Rooms (twin beds and a shower) run around 50 a night I think? Very reasonable whatever it is.

snagel
01-08-2008, 21:01
Thanks, keep us posted on the plans, should they change.

I've never been to Beaver Lake, from Springfield, MO what is the quickest, easiest way?

S. Nagel

Lineman Larry
01-08-2008, 21:20
Tom A...
C&J Sports has a campground on site with full hookups. I do not know if he has the water on during the winter. You might call and talk with Jim 479-253-2913

snagel, Wnkdbum, everyone...
I will take a hard count next week on the 16th. Expect a pm or post here. If enough respond, we can rent the "Bunk House" at a substantial savings. Otherwise, he has a small motel at $50 per nite

This is going to be a great little trip.

Possible Divers...
Lineman Larry
Tom A
snagel
Wnkdbum
Dark Wolf
billucusdiver

SteveC
01-08-2008, 22:29
hmmmm..... did someone say 30' vis?

texdiveguy
01-09-2008, 01:38
I have never been to Beaver Lake but have heard good reports in the past. Can someone share a bit about the lake and its dive opportunities and some of the specific dive spots from shore? Thanks

snagel
01-09-2008, 05:20
TexDiveGuy,

I've never been there either, but here is information I have collected. I have not verified anything.

Beaver Lake

N36.24.491 / W093.50.537
Copter Cove
Helicopter, Boats, Scooter, Chain Saws, 2 Plane Fuselages.
His data says 20ft, but it should be 25-30ft roughly for the copter. Best thing is to anchor/tie off on the north side of the cove, then follow the bottom composition until you find a line that will take you to 2 stacked boats on the shallow end and another boat on the deeper (open lake side) end. From the deeper boat of the two, there are lines that interlink the other "toys". Be sure to take a cruise on the moped and bring your hockey masks so you can play Jason w/ the chain saws.
The deepest object in Copter Cove at Beaver Lake is the 2nd of the Piper Cub airplanes. It is in 45-50 ft of water. Last season (2006), the stacked boats were marked w/ an orange jug/float.

Indian Creek Area (Beaver Lake)

GPS Marked Directly Over Site

Check/Recheck GPS Marking

Lost Bridge Marina

Bus
N36.24.686 W093.51.029
35’
Dam Site Boats
N36.25.955 W093.50.936
25’
Foundations
N36.24.645 W093.51.066
11’
Helicopter
N36.24.491 W093.50.537
20’
Platform and Mazda
N36.25.492 W093.53.033
25’

snagel
01-09-2008, 05:21
30 foot viz.....Is this El Beaver, Mexico?

snagel
01-09-2008, 05:29
SteveC,

30 foot viz...as far as travel for you from St. Louis it is like going to Rolla, but you might as well go to Table Rock if your going to Rolla and if your going to go to Table Rock, you might as well turn left and go to Beaver. See, not to far - you just have to rationalize this out. It's kinda like my bathroom project.

S. Nagel

DivingCRNA
01-09-2008, 14:34
Hey, I was looking at the midwest topic description. Arkansas is in the SE region. Shouldn't this be moved?:smilie39::smashfreakB::smiliez.de_2125:

Oh yeah, talk like that is for SB....

billucusdiver
01-09-2008, 21:35
Please keep me posted on details. I think i will be able to make it, so keep me posted on the details, as far as where we can stay or camp or what ever. I will be coming from the Springfield area so maybe we can work out a carpool if anyone is interested.

BSea
01-09-2008, 21:41
Hey, I was looking at the midwest topic description. Arkansas is in the SE region. Shouldn't this be moved?:smilie39::smashfreakB::smiliez.de_2125:

Oh yeah, talk like that is for SB....Well, Table Rock was mentioned, and Table Rock is in AR as well as MO, so as long as we're rationalizing everything, then it should be ok.

Lineman Larry
01-10-2008, 14:07
Our little corner of the Diving World should have it's own place.
Add up Bull Shoals, Table Rock, Beaver, Tenkiller, Oronogo, and a few others.
We definately are some kind of group.

Lineman Larry
01-10-2008, 14:11
SteveC...
texdiveguy...

Either of you going to try and make this little get together?
Looks like we might have a good little group.

texdiveguy
01-10-2008, 14:29
SteveC...
texdiveguy...

Either of you going to try and make this little get together?
Looks like we might have a good little group.

Lineman....being in Texas I will have to watch the weather and my schd. as we get closer to the 19th.,,,,would love to join you folks though if it works out on my end.

billucusdiver
01-10-2008, 14:36
Dont forget to add norfork to that list as well. If everyone would like to plan a trip to norfork sometime let me know. I have a boat there and a buddy of mine has a dive shop there.

wheelman
01-10-2008, 15:06
Our little corner of the Diving World should have it's own place.
Add up Bull Shoals, Table Rock, Beaver, Tenkiller, Oronogo, and a few others.
We definately are some kind of group.

I would agree with that... Hope you guys have a good trip! I would like to join you as well but am will be returning from Coz on that day.

skdvr
01-10-2008, 15:10
I too wish that I could come down that weekend, but I have to go to Florida for work. Unfortunately I will not get the chance to dive either. Have fun at Beaver. I have never been there, but I am going to make a point to get there this year.

Phil

cummings66
01-10-2008, 19:10
I'd like to attend, and I am going to try to get out of work to do it. Beaver Lake does sometimes have >30 feet of vis. I've seen 40 feet there in the past. I'm still wanting to see Einstein and maybe I will someday.

Lineman Larry
01-10-2008, 19:49
cummings66...

Glad to see you chime in here. I intend to contact all the interested parties on the 16th for a final count. You now are officially "On the List" :smiley32:

snagel
01-10-2008, 20:00
Wow...sounds like a convoy!!!!!!

This is Rubber Duck 10-4....

S. Nagel

cummings66
01-10-2008, 20:55
Beaver Lake is a great lake in the Winter, most of the time anyhow. Hope the weather cooperates and lets us go.

medicdiver
01-10-2008, 21:09
Wish I could go with you guys but Navyhmc and I have to work that weekend (unless I can get another trade). You guys dive safe and have fun.

Lineman Larry
01-10-2008, 21:18
I happen to know that navyhmc is working with the scouts that weekend. That is pretty important to those kids. He may hurt you if you bail on him.

medicdiver
01-10-2008, 21:24
That's right! I have to work with someone else on the ambulance that weekend. There are alot of good kids who are in the Explorer program that rides along with us. I sure don't expect Navyhmc to back down from that.

navyhmc
01-10-2008, 21:38
Weather depending, you guys will be warmer in the water than I will during this outing.

Bring the Payne
01-10-2008, 22:14
I'll be there!

cummings66
01-11-2008, 07:32
What time are we starting the dive? I just noticed nobody posted any preliminary stuff.

Lineman Larry
01-11-2008, 11:49
payne...

You are on.

cummings66... et all...

My general thought was to meet at C&J's in the 9:30 to 10:00am time frame. Pick up keys and hopefully be ready to dive by 11:00 with a second dive starting b/4 2:00pm. This should let us fill tanks and be ready for one dive on Sunday morning. If any one has any other thoughts, then please feel free to jump in.

It looks as if we are going to have a good size group so I intend to have the "Bunk House" on hold for us. This is bring your own sleeping bag but the price is right. Saturday evening is byob and burgers at some local resturant. We could BBQ but that means everyone kicks in and possible make a grocery run. You do not want to eat my cooking.

If anyone can find a boat large enough for this group, a nite dive in Helicopter Cove would absolutely rock.

cummings66
01-11-2008, 11:54
OK, that helps. Normally I stay close by but I've been thinking of staying in Branson instead, I usually take my wife and daughter so the bunk house wouldn't work for them.

Lineman Larry
01-11-2008, 13:07
cummings66...

Making a dive weekend into a family outing is something I have done myself on a regular basis. To be able to include the wife in your "hobby" is something that most are not able to do.

For myself, as much as I want to dive, if I did not find a way to include my wife and have it be a good time for her also, life would be a lot less enjoyable.

billucusdiver
01-11-2008, 16:47
Cummings 66

You might want to check out Eureka springs. It is fairly close and you can get some good deals on rooms in the off season.

cummings66
01-11-2008, 17:20
I like Eureka Springs, nice old town. To be honest though, their off season rates are not that cheap and C&J actually has a better room at a good price. We usually camp however, but it's a bit cold for that right now. I usually stay at the Super 8 during the Winter Dives I do, but I've been thinking of that one that's on the corner as you go through town towards the lake, I just can't remember the name of it right now.

maverick
01-11-2008, 18:00
Where is C&J. I know where Lost Bridge Marina is?

Wkndbum
01-11-2008, 20:40
payne...
If anyone can find a boat large enough for this group, a nite dive in Helicopter Cove would absolutely rock.

I don't know if these guys run their boat in the winter or not DIVER-SIXX (http://www.diver-sixx.com/index.html)

I'm sure Jim would know.

snagel
01-12-2008, 07:16
How far from Springfield (time) is C&J? I'm about 2.5 hours North away from Springfield. So, if the plan is to meet up around 9:30 a.m. on the 19th. I need to decide if this warrents a trip down the night before.

S. Nagel

cummings66
01-12-2008, 11:07
From Branson it's about an hour roughly, so I'd say from Springfield you could say 2 hours I think. It takes me about 5.5 hours to get there.

C&J is not far from the Dam near Eureka Springs.

cummings66
01-12-2008, 11:09
Is it worth the trip? Well, sometimes I think it is and sometimes I don't. I'll usually dive Beaver Lake about 3 to 5 times a year, Table Rock lake is where I head most of the time when I don't dive local.

I think meeting old buddies and new ones is worth the trip most of the time, even if the diving isn't great.

plot
01-12-2008, 11:09
Where is C&J. I know where Lost Bridge Marina is?

Over by the dam. Probably 45 minutes by drive from Lost Bridge Marina, and probably 10 minutes by boat... if that.

Lineman Larry
01-12-2008, 11:44
maverick...

C&J Sports is about 1 mile south of the dam on 187 Hwy. Thinking about it?

cummings66 said it best...

I think meeting old buddies and new ones is worth the trip most of the time, even if the diving isn't great.

The diving will not be any Caribbean reef or wreck dive. Think of it as more of a challenge dive. Put your skills to the test and overcome obstacles kind of thing. Dive the midwest in the winter, and that warm water reef/wreck becomes so easy and relaxing.

DrRobb
01-13-2008, 08:19
I'm going to try to make it. Kinda depends on a couple of things out of my control.

cummings66
01-13-2008, 09:05
Glad to see you here, hope you can make it down there. So far it sounds like we're going to have a good sized group get together.

Bring the Payne
01-13-2008, 14:15
Is it time to go yet????

DrRobb
01-14-2008, 07:47
I'm in for sure.. See ya'll on the 19th..

Lineman Larry
01-14-2008, 13:39
Called C&J today (Monday) and left a message to reserve the bunk house.

These are the divers so far...
cummings66 ( staying with his family )

Idiots in the Bunk House
Lineman Larry
Dark Wolf
billucusdiver
Bring the Payne
DrRobb

The following have expressed and intrest and are watching the weather or their schedule...

snagel
wkndbum
SteveC
TomA ???
maverick ???

If I missed anyone, jump in with a post, and please forgive an old man who suffers from CRS...

cummings66
01-14-2008, 17:29
I'm probably going to bring Greg down as well, he's most likely going to stay with some friends nearby.

snagel
01-14-2008, 17:30
I guess I'll be the first casualty. My son's basketball coach informed us this weekend that they have scheduled a tournament for that weekend in Kansas City. So, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it #@%$@%$%%%@$%$@@. I actually thought about it, but my wife say's that it wouldn't be good to miss it. Please post a dive report and hopefully we can schedule this again.

BTW - I just talked to SteveC on the phone and they have something they can't get out of either.

S. Nagel

Lineman Larry
01-14-2008, 17:52
Latest on where we stand, I think. Remember, I suffer from an affliction: CRS

snagel is out for sons basketball.
SteveC is out for other things.

DrRobb will be diving but not in the bunk house.
cummings66 is dragging Greg down with him.

That is up one for the dive list to 7 divers. This is going to be a great little get together.

Tom A
01-14-2008, 18:25
what are the dates again larry not sure if i can make it

Bring the Payne
01-14-2008, 20:03
This Sat/Sun.

billucusdiver
01-14-2008, 20:05
I am ready and looking foward to a great weekend of diving no matter what the weather is like.

Wkndbum
01-15-2008, 10:45

That is up one for the dive list to 7 divers. This is going to be a great little get together.

Wkndbum will be diving but not in the bunk house. Should be there around 10pm Fri. My wife MAY be coming along so I reserved the room above the shop from Jim.

Terry

Lake Diver
01-15-2008, 11:22
anyone taking pictures or vids of this dive?? Video would rule!

Dark Wolf
01-15-2008, 12:36
Unfortunately, I may be out. My daughter has been fighting bronchitis and tonsilitis, plus we both now have whatever is going around. There is still a slim chance that I can make it, but it is unlikely.

Really sucks, it looks like there is going to be a great turnout with some people that I have been wanting to meet and dive with.

Sorry for bailing on you, Larry. Maybe we can set up another one before too long.

DW

Wkndbum
01-15-2008, 17:44

Wkndbum will be diving but not in the bunk house. Should be there around 10pm Fri. My wife MAY be coming along so I reserved the room above the shop from Jim.

Terry

Guess I'm still on the standby list after hearing the forecast tonight. Up to 8" between here & KC predicted on Thurs.

We'll see!

Lineman Larry
01-15-2008, 20:51
Hang in there Wkndbum, it's just a little snow and they will have it all cleared. Trust me.

Dark Wolf, you ain't getting out of it that easy. Suck down some meds and get over it.

Lake Diver, I thought you were in charge of the video. I made a spot for you just for that reason.

billucusdiver
01-15-2008, 21:08
Well larry, I will be there even if everyone else flakes. Will we be able to fill tanks before our dives? Our should i go ahead and bring full tanks?

Lake Diver
01-15-2008, 21:10
wife's birthday weekend this weekend!! Plus it's going to be like 10 degrees outside - not THAT hardcore!

Would love to see some vids from Beaver though...

Lake Diver
01-15-2008, 21:14
Dont forget to add norfork to that list as well. If everyone would like to plan a trip to norfork sometime let me know. I have a boat there and a buddy of mine has a dive shop there.

We are wanting to hit Norfork and/or Bull Shoals in spring time this year!! Possibly bringing a couple small boats (6 person ea)

That would rule to hook up w/your dive shop buddy and show us the good spots...and of course we'll post info on the website

billucusdiver
01-15-2008, 21:27
Yeah, anytime anyone wants to do Norfork. Let me know, I have GPS cords, and info on over 32 dive sites within 5 miles of each other. Killer wall dives, several cabin cruisers, cars, and a few other interesting features.

Lineman Larry
01-16-2008, 11:34
Spoke with Jim at C&J and the Bunk House is on reserve for Saturday Night.

----- Divers -----
cummings66 (staying with his family)
Greg (staying with friends)
DrRobb (moved out of Bunk House)

----- Idiots in the Bunk House -----
Lineman Larry
Dark Wolf
billucusdiver
Bring the Payne

Remember; bring your own sleeping bag.

The following have expressed and interest and are watching the weather or their schedule...
wkndbum (has a room reserved at C&J, watching the weather)
TomA ???

If I have missed anybody I sincerely apologize and please post here.

Hear ye, Hear ye... There is still room for more in the bunk house. Feel free to join in.

My general thought was to meet at C&J's in the 9:30 to 10:00am time frame. Pick up keys and hopefully be ready to dive by 11:00 with a second dive starting b/4 2:00pm. This should let us fill tanks and be ready for one dive on Sunday morning.

navyhmc
01-16-2008, 12:52
Yeah, anytime anyone wants to do Norfork. Let me know, I have GPS cords, and info on over 32 dive sites within 5 miles of each other. Killer wall dives, several cabin cruisers, cars, and a few other interesting features.

That sounds like a future plan.. Add me to the notify list please. EMS and Scouting schedule permitting

cummings66
01-16-2008, 21:37
10 degree's makes it fun, the water freezes on the drysuit and you get stiff almost as soon as you get out of the water, can't breathe the regs until you're under water or you risk free flows. It's great diving man.

As to the colds going around, my daughter Elizabeth is coming down with something and my sinuses earlier were stuffed a bit, but I seem to be better now and I am taking Vitamin C so I hope to prevent issues. I'm not touching my face with my hands and they get washed frequently, I don't want to get sick.

texdiveguy
01-16-2008, 21:41
??...since never having been to this lake, nor will I get this chance....I still have a question---what is the Bunk House?

navyhmc
01-17-2008, 04:38
??...since never having been to this lake, nor will I get this chance....I still have a question---what is the Bunk House?

C & J's has a few rooms:

Camping & Lodging / C & J Sports (http://www.candjsports.com/Camping_&_Lodging.php)

Wkndbum
01-17-2008, 18:41
Spoke with Jim at C&J and the Bunk House is on reserve for Saturday Night.

----- Divers -----
cummings66 (staying with his family)
Greg (staying with friends)
DrRobb (moved out of Bunk House)

----- Idiots in the Bunk House -----
Lineman Larry
Dark Wolf
billucusdiver
Bring the Payne
The following have expressed and interest and are watching the weather or their schedule...
wkndbum (has a room reserved at C&J, watching the weather)
TomA ???

If I have missed anybody I sincerely apologize and please post here.

My general thought was to meet at C&J's in the 9:30 to 10:00am time frame. Pick up keys and hopefully be ready to dive by 11:00 with a second dive starting b/4 2:00pm. This should let us fill tanks and be ready for one dive on Sunday morning.

Wkndbum is on the "For Sure" list. Should be there by 10pm Fri.

Terry

snagel
01-17-2008, 18:44
Billucusdiver,

The GPS cords you have for norfork....are the ones off Jordons Marina Web Page? If not, can I get a copy of them? I'm trying to put together a dive log with gps cords for local diving and this would a great addition. I already have what Jordon's Marina has published.

S. Nagel

cummings66
01-17-2008, 21:11
I'm planning on leaving Moberly at about 2:30 so I hope to be there by 8 to 9 PM. Should be fun, I'm looking forwards to meeting everybody there. Terry and Robb, I'll see if I can't remember to bring the photo's I took at Bennett Springs. See you guys there.

Lineman Larry
01-17-2008, 21:30
Good deal there 66.

Dark Wolf had to back out. He has been sick all week and just started taking anti-biotics today. Even if he toughed it out, his little girl is also sick and that takes priority in anybody's book.

I may have to sneak down Friday night myself. Sure beats getting up at 5:00am to make a four hour drive, just to get into 45 degree water with a 25 degree air temp.

billucusdiver
01-17-2008, 21:56
Most of the ones i have are from jordan marina. I have a couple that are not listed on there site that i have found. Let me check my list and get back to you.

snagel
01-18-2008, 05:17
Thanks, Billucusdiver

skdvr
01-18-2008, 06:19
I hope you guys have fun this weekend... Please post a report as well as a few pics. I hope that we can set something like this up again and I will be able to make it...

Phil

BSea
01-18-2008, 08:43
The low for Little Rock is supposed to be 17. It's got to be at least 5 degrees colder up there. You guys better bring something to cut a hole in the ice.

Wkndbum
01-18-2008, 11:20
Ok, I lied. Sorry but I'm not going to make it. The flurries this am turned into an inch of snow but now I-29 thru Iowa is a skating rink. Supposed to snow again Sun.

Hopefully the next time,
Terry

Lineman Larry
01-18-2008, 12:39
Wkndbum...

It isn't smart to be a traffic accident. Mother Nature just isn't going to cooperate with the roads and it isn't nice to fool with Mother Nature.

We have got to set this trip up again.

cummings66
01-18-2008, 13:25
I'm getting ready to leave now, my buddy Greg is enroute so he should be joining us there, he's staying with family in Bentonville so he's on for the dive.

I should be there later tonight and in a bit I'll toss the gear in the vehicle and go. I am supposed to have Internet access, I'm staying at the Swiss motel across from McDonalds so I'm not that far away.

DrRobb
01-18-2008, 15:14
Sorry to hear you're not gonna make it Terry.. Should be fun even if it's a bit chilly.. I got the leaky glove problem fixed so I should be more comfortable.

Lineman Larry
01-18-2008, 15:32
Taking off from work in a few minutes. Get home, throw the gear into the truck, and head south. Try to beat the snow out of here. Looking forward to some good people, good times, and great dives. :smiley20:

snagel
01-18-2008, 16:44
Wish I was going. You guys be careful and have fun. We definately have to set this up again.

S. Nagel

Dark Wolf
01-18-2008, 19:28
I will second snagel's sentiments, I hope that you all have good times and good dives. I will be looking forward to a trip report when you all get back! I sure wish that I could have made the trip, but I will make the next one providing that I am not working.

You all be careful.

DW

cummings66
01-18-2008, 20:57
I made it, setting at Swiss Village now. Not a bad spot, $39 and Internet access plus breakfast, if you call them that.

Looks good so far. See you guys in the morning.

jwdizney
01-18-2008, 21:03
living vicariously through you guys this weekend, don't let us down!!:smiley20:

Wkndbum
01-19-2008, 06:03
I made it, setting at Swiss Village now. Not a bad spot, $39 and Internet access plus breakfast, if you call them that.

Looks good so far. See you guys in the morning.

Matt,

Send me the address and /or phone # and/or website for that place.

Since I didn't make it down there, I'm heading out ice fishing today. Minus 7 here now.

You guys be carefull & have a good time diving.

Terry

snagel
01-19-2008, 07:37
You guys are "representing". I know this puts a lot on your shoulders, but I think you can handle it. Can't wait to see pictures.

Me, it's 8:00 a.m., Sat morning. I'm heading to the pool to try out the new drysuit with Scuba Down Under in Sedalia, MO before heading to KC for the basketball tournament this afternoon. Not the Beaver, but it's wet. (watch it!)

S. Nagel

cummings66
01-19-2008, 07:42
Send me the address and /or phone # and/or website for that place.

Arkansas Lodging: Swiss Village Inn of Eureka Springs, AR (http://www.eureka-net.com/swissvillage/)

You need to call to get the best rates, the Internet booking for some reason is much higher.

DivingCRNA
01-19-2008, 17:39
Well? How is the diving?

cummings66
01-19-2008, 18:24
So far it's been good. I don't know for 100% but I think the temps below 100 feet were 41 degree's and the vis is probably 15 feet once you get away from the silt. On the surface it was around 24 degree's, cold enough that we all had ice on our drysuits and my bolt snaps froze in place on the surface.

We did two dives today and will do another one tomorrow.

On a personal note I got to see Einstein and the treasure chest, also got to see my computer tell me I had a deco stop of 6 minutes, where my buddy with his didn't have any deco time. I've got an Oceanic VT3 which I thought was pretty conservative, but apparently not as conservative as Robs computer. By the time I got to the safety stop I had pretty much cleared the deco time and just did a normal stop. So, I learned something about my dive computer.

navyhmc
01-20-2008, 20:00
Hope the diving was good.

I just got back from the Scout winter camp out. 4,300 scouts showed up. Friday night was 2 degrees with a wind chill of -10. All told we had 23 patients in first aid. Most were cold feet but we had tow moderate hypothermia, sent one kid home with frost bite. While it was a lot of fun, part of me still wishes I was with you guys.

Mabe a Norfork dive???

Dark Wolf
01-20-2008, 20:12
I am glad to hear that all went well, and you guys had some good dives. Sucks that I could not make it, but am looking forward to the next trip. Keep me posted.

DW

cummings66
01-20-2008, 20:23
I think it was worth the drive down for it, I had fun. Would have had more fun but I didn't dive today because my sinuses were acting up and I thought I'd err on the side of caution. Met with the guys though and I think it looked like they were ready for fun.

snagel
01-20-2008, 21:00
So, the viz was about 15'. Was this consistent in shallower water or did you have to go deep to get it? I was thinking it should have been a little better.

S. Nagel

Lineman Larry
01-21-2008, 12:08
Dive Report….

Drove down from Kansas City on Friday night. Stopped in Nevada, MO and met up with Dark Wolf for a bite to eat. He still was not well and it is a good thing he cancelled. Wkndbum also had to cancel because of road conditions further north.

Got into C&J’s about 9:30. During the drive down, Bring the Payne and billucusDiver contacted me and said they would be in about midnight. The next morning, after sleeping together, we introduced ourselves. The bunk house is a little Spartan. A set of bunk beds, two single beds, and a beat up couch. There were two small tables but no lamps. It was all tastefully decorated in bare walls and a concrete floor with a neon light in the ceiling. Definitely a guy place.

We waited around in C&J’s place for the rest of our people to show. We expected them about 10:00am and they were rolling in about right on time. This speaks to the quality of people they were going to be. We had 7 divers in our group. After introductions and a few tank fills, we were on our way to the dive site.

The Dam Site Bluffs are just north and west of the dam at Beaver Lake. The dive site is accessible from shore and “stair steps” down to the water in a series of ledges in the rock face. This “stair step” affect continues down to the old river channel at a depth in the 200 foot range. The result is a very nice wall dive.

The site greeted us with sunshine and not too much wind. The air temp stood at 18 degrees but we were all up for it. John was our only diver that was diving wet. ( He IS from Oklahoma. ) He had a minor equipment issue that was handled and we were set to go. Our first dive took us to the 70 foot level where we checked out the sailboat that has been tied off to the trees to keep it from finding its way to the bottom. We continued on to the 100 foot mark where the alligator was waiting for us. I was a little disappointed in the vis. I had hoped for 30 feet but it was not to be. The top and bottom was in the 25 foot range but from about 20 to 45 feet of depth, there was a particle layer that seemed to be suspended in the water and cut visibility to about 15.

Our surface interval consisted of us all watching the dive flag slowly float its way out into the middle of the lake. Way too far to make a swim for it. It is only a $25 flag and it is 18 degrees outside. Then I remembered, there is a Dive Rite reel attached to the bottom of that flag. It is a little more than $25. I watched it float away and hoped it would make a shore landing somewhere.

Greg had our second equipment fatality. We thought it was a simple o-ring at first. Turned out to be the valve stem on his tank had taken a little too much of a beating. Our second dive was cruising along the ledge at the 65ft depth. Weaving in and out of the trees and poking our lights under the rocks. I recorded a bottom temp of 45 Suunto degrees. Closer to 42 I think. We completed the dive and were out of the water by 2:00pm. DrRobb and I drove to the other side of the lake and he successfully rescued the dive flag. More importantly, he rescued my reel.

Showers and dry clothes had us ready for dinner. Emilio’s in Eureka Springs was the restaurant of choice. A glass of Chianti before seating set the table for an excellent meal with some wonderful people. The spinach ravioli topped with a red wine sauce and chicken breast was exquisite. No trip could be complete without stopping at the Rowdy Beaver for a few beers after.

The next morning had us in the water about 10:45. This was after I had to run back to C&J’s to get my drysuit that I forgot. I think that was our last equipment issue. cummings66 had and ear issue and did not dive this morning. Better safe than sorry. Our third dive was again weaving in and out of the trees along the ledge. DrRobb logged his 200th dive on this morning. It was a good dive to do it on. Bring the Payne got his major weight issues with his drysuit solved on this trip and is now ready to fine tune them.

On a personal note, I thought it was a great little weekend trip. Good dives. Great people. Next up, maybe Norfolk anyone?

maverick
01-21-2008, 12:32
Sounds like a great time and dive. I'd like 2 go sometime. May B when it warms up a little.

cummings66
01-21-2008, 15:14
Beaver Lake is a nice lake to dive, C&J is a great place to do scuba business with and Eureka Springs is a quaint town with a lot to offer. There are many places to stay and eat at, and during the Summer there's a lot of activitiy going on. In fact, you might find it hard to find a room in the entire town during the Summer.

Bring the Payne
01-21-2008, 15:21
Thanks for the report Larry! I had a great time this weekend and it was a pleasure to finally meet a few divers from the board. Hopefully we can get a trip to Norfork in the works soon, I think everyone would really enjoy diving there. Maybe by then I can find a replacement sheath for my Fogcutter that I so intelligently broke.

texdiveguy
01-21-2008, 15:51
Larry... thanks for a good trip report....sounds like a nice outing with just enough 'spice' to keep the couple of days exciting! It was good you recovered the dive flag and reel....would not want to replace those...but I can understand your thoughts on the 18f outside temp--geez. I consider your vis pretty good compared to what we usually get...having though never dove Beaver sounds like you thought it could have been better. We dove Murray in Ok. this past Sunday farther south and had similar water temps. Is 200ffw the max. depth of diveable shore locations on the lake? :)

billucusdiver
01-21-2008, 17:23
Here is what we have all been waiting for.

billucusdiver
01-21-2008, 17:24
ah I am having a time with the pics

Lineman Larry
01-21-2008, 19:03
Is 200ffw the max. depth of diveable shore locations on the lake?texdiveguy...

The information I have says the max depth at normal pool is 204ft. As for max shore dive depth, my estimation is that it is closer to 175.

I would have to double up my LP85's first.

jwdizney
01-21-2008, 19:08
Great report Larry! not sure i'd want to endure the cold, but it sounds like you guys all knew what you were doing! can't wait to see the pics!

plot
01-21-2008, 20:49
if you get me enough air i'll check that 204ft claim

texdiveguy
01-21-2008, 23:07
Looks like I need to plan a trip up and make a few dives at depth to see if the 204ffw is accurate...Larry thanks for the data.

Mtrewyn
01-23-2008, 10:38
I really enjoy diving Beaver lake, I just cannot do the cold, maybe next time, if it is warmer, I'll go.

cummings66
01-23-2008, 21:24
Depending on your definition of cold you might be waiting a long time. I really enjoy cold water diving, on this dive for example I found it interesting that most of the divers hair had frozen into whatever shape they placed it in when they covered their heads. Mine and Greg's was nice and dry, well, if I had much hair it would be. I really got a kick out of the hair freezing into a mass...

Mtrewyn
01-24-2008, 00:25
Something about 18 Deg in the air just keeps me out, but cold water is not really that much of a deterrent for me, I know that seems weird but the air temp along with the "cool" water, not to mention I don't have any cold water gear.

DrRobb
01-24-2008, 08:39
I'll claim the record for the most hair frozen into a mass.. For amount of hair I have Greg and Matt "covered" if you'll pardon the pun..

jwdizney
01-24-2008, 14:14
This is a great thread!:smiley20: it's almost a lesson in how a diving community works.....i've enjoyed following your 'adventure' from conception to completion.

one thing I noticed, guys.. there's over 1200 viewings since you started...wonder if the name of the thread is drawing curious onlookers???:smiley36:

mpd525
01-24-2008, 15:05
sounds like i need to get in on one of these trips when my drysuit wrist seals are fixed, and i get my weighting down, how but early march?

medicdiver
01-24-2008, 15:21
sounds like i need to get in on one of these trips when my drysuit wrist seals are fixed, and i get my weighting down, how but early march?

Sounds like a good idea!

Lineman Larry
01-24-2008, 15:42
This is a great thread!:smiley20: it's almost a lesson in how a diving community works.....i've enjoyed following your 'adventure' from conception to completion.

one thing I noticed, guys.. there's over 1200 viewings since you started...wonder if the name of the thread is drawing curious onlookers???:smiley36:

Every book needs a great title. :smiley9:

Bring the Payne
01-27-2008, 15:49
When are we headed back down there? I know we have the Norfork thing scheduled for April but certainly everyone will be diving before that!

DivingCRNA
01-27-2008, 19:49
I would like to put something together for my DM cert. I need to "supervise" certified divers.

This means putting together a fun dive, making sure folks get there, get wet, maybe get fed in the process!

navyhmc
01-27-2008, 22:02
I'll be more than happy to assist you DivingCRNA. Again, it depends on my work schedule, but I'd be happy to help you out. Capt. John's?

(ooh, oooh, ooooh...can I be the "difficult diver"?:biggrinbounce2: )

cummings66
01-28-2008, 18:30
I'll claim the record for the most hair frozen into a mass.. For amount of hair I have Greg and Matt "covered" if you'll pardon the pun..

I meant to borrow some of that hair, I could use a shot or two. Heck, lets be honest. I'll take it all.

Congrats on the accomplishment Robb. By the way, I did get sick so it wasn't an easy thing. At least it held off until I got home and tried to sleep.

cummings66
01-28-2008, 18:33
It would be interesting to have him put together a dive and supervise it from the members here. There should be enough to do it by then.

However, why can only one guy be difficult, how 'bout a bunch of us be difficult and so on. Or are we supposed to be squared away divers?

Honestly, what are the requirements you need to meet? Is it like a guided dive tour?

DivingCRNA
01-28-2008, 21:09
I do not have to get in the water... I can supervise from the surface :)

It is basically getting a dive organized, not a role play, as much as you all would love that!

navyhmc
01-28-2008, 23:54
I do not have to get in the water... I can supervise from the surface :)

It is basically getting a dive organized, not a role play, as much as you all would love that!

So in other words, you get to plan a dive where those of us who volunteer will possibly freeze our butts off and you will stay nice and warm and dry waiting for us???

Where and when? :D

cummings66
01-29-2008, 11:10
You got those rescue skills rust all knocked off I hope, I hear most diving accidents are on the surface.

So your plan sounds like a typical get together, BBQ would be nice in the Summer.

plot
01-29-2008, 16:52
I would like to put something together for my DM cert. I need to "supervise" certified divers.

This means putting together a fun dive, making sure folks get there, get wet, maybe get fed in the process!

i'll come for the feeding.

diver-wife
05-29-2008, 13:49
"nice beaver"......sorry I had to...

mature:smiley20: