PDA

View Full Version : UK Service

thesmoothdome
07-26-2007, 14:05
So, before I went Belize last month, I needed a couple of new lights. W/o rehashing a lot of the drama that went into the purchase (i think there's another link that describes it) I ended up with a UK Light Cannon that was the display model at the store. Well, while the light was great, the switch was faulty and would occassionally not turn on, but since it was an intermitent problem, it's tough to diagnose.

I took it up to UK (living in San Diego has it's advantages) and they checked it out. Naturally, the light worked fine. I asked them to hold on to it for a few days to see if they could replicate the problem. Nope. Of course they couldn't. Even so, they decided to exchange the light for a new one. I love companies that take the extra time and make the extra effort to keep their customers happy. 3 cheers for UKhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gifhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gifhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif.

JahJahwarrior
07-26-2007, 20:25
So...

I borrowed an Ikelite light for a recent dive, and my buddy used his UK. The Ikelite had a battery leak acid in it. His UK did fine. I think in the future, I will try to borrow UK's :)

CompuDude
07-27-2007, 12:56
Are you familiar with the operational quirks of HID lights in general? There are some rules to owning them... and I don't think I would ever want to buy a display model, since they are frequently abused horribly while showing off the light in a shop.

I have 2 light cannons, and they're fantastic lights... best light you can get without going to a canister light, IMO.

UK service is indeed fabulous, though. I've had one or two things I've had to deal with (user error) and they were great about it. I'll note that Pelican and Princeton Tec have similarly great customer service, though. (although I've had more issues with Pel and PT lights, such that I've actually needed the customer service, which gives one a bit of a pause...)

thesmoothdome
07-27-2007, 13:51
If you're referring to the 20 seconds it takes for the bulb to fully charge and the 3 second rule between on/off/on, yes I am. If something else, please elaborate.

I agree with you on the display model, but I didn't really have a choice. It was the only one left and the manager offered to do an even swap for a PT Shockwave LED that was defective. Coupled with the fact that I was leaving the next morning, I took a shot :smiley17:.

CompuDude
07-27-2007, 13:58
If you're referring to the 20 seconds it takes for the bulb to fully charge and the 3 second rule between on/off/on, yes I am. If something else, please elaborate.

I agree with you on the display model, but I didn't really have a choice. It was the only one left and the manager offered to do an even swap for a PT Shockwave LED that was defective. Coupled with the fact that I was leaving the next morning, I took a shot :smiley17:.
No, I'm referring to the TWO MINUTES you should leave the light on before turning it off again. And the FIVE MINUTES it should cool down before striking it again.

Still, you clearly got a bargain... I'll take a somewhat abused but working LC over the ShockWave any day!

thesmoothdome
07-27-2007, 18:49
No, I'm referring to the TWO MINUTES you should leave the light on before turning it off again. And the FIVE MINUTES it should cool down before striking it again.

Still, you clearly got a bargain... I'll take a somewhat abused but working LC over the ShockWave any day!

Wow! really 5 minutes? That's nuts, but good to know. It definately changes how I'll treat the new one. Probably would have stopped me from taking the display model in the first place, especially knowing that a new bulb is $75.00. Thanks for the heads up.

Ajuva
07-27-2007, 19:06
You had me getting excited there Smoothdome.

I though you were proposing a small female gift for us "Cross the Pond" members!

thesmoothdome
07-27-2007, 19:30
You had me getting excited there Smoothdome.

I though you were proposing a small female gift for us "Cross the Pond" members!

LOL. I knew someone would have their mind in the gutter. :smilie39:

CompuDude
07-27-2007, 20:00

Wow! really 5 minutes? That's nuts, but good to know. It definately changes how I'll treat the new one. Probably would have stopped me from taking the display model in the first place, especially knowing that a new bulb is $75.00. Thanks for the heads up.

For more information, read this post, and/or this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1681099&postcount=20

JahJahwarrior
07-27-2007, 22:20
How good of a deal did he give you on the floor model?

thesmoothdome
07-27-2007, 22:24
How good of a deal did he give you on the floor model?

It was an even swap for the defective PT, which I paid $90.00 for.