PDA

View Full Version : Harvey Drysuit

snagel
01-05-2008, 21:07
Anybody have any input on Harvey Drysuits? I personally never heard of them until I took my dry suit cert and the dive shop where I took the class sells them. How does this compare to the Bare XCD2 Crushed Neoprene Suit?

S. Nagel

cummings66
01-06-2008, 10:03
It just happens that the dive I did last weekend at Bennett Springs I run into a buddy who used one. First as to looks and feel I think it's a fine suit. He had a front zip and really seemed to like it quite a bit. It looks like a nice dry suit. He didn't do a second dive because he got cold in it.

That's what I mean by under garment choices are what make a drysuit warm or cold. To be honest the main concern is how it fits you. If the suit fits well then brand name should not be as big a deal, as long as it's from a known name in the drysuit business.

Harveys is renown for their warm wetsuits by the way, my daughter has a wetsuit from them for what it's worth.

snagel
01-06-2008, 10:56
Thanks Matt for this and the input on the other posts. I'm still up in the air and have to give it a lot more thought. Louis sells the Harveys and if I buy something from him, he will credit the cost of the class toward the suit. This adds into the equation also.

S. Nagel

skdvr
01-10-2008, 09:08
So have you made the purchase yet??? I too am looking at my options for buying a new DS and was just wondering where your search has landed you. I have been really leaning twards the Bare XCD2 but do not know if I want to spend that much. I may just go with the Nex Gen and dive that for a few years. Also put a PM in to Bob3 at scubaboard about a viking. Just trying to weigh my options right now...

Phil

cummings66
01-10-2008, 12:07
If you PM'd bob3 you'll end up buying Viking. His prices are not to be believed, mine was a third the cost of most places. I don't know how he does it.

However, when it comes to Viking be sure to try them on first because the sizes are not custom and it's either going to fit or be loose and for a beginner to drysuits a loose drysuit can be dangerous.

skdvr
01-10-2008, 12:29
If you PM'd bob3 you'll end up buying Viking. His prices are not to be believed, mine was a third the cost of most places. I don't know how he does it.

However, when it comes to Viking be sure to try them on first because the sizes are not custom and it's either going to fit or be loose and for a beginner to drysuits a loose drysuit can be dangerous.

Thanks for the info. I am not sure where I could go to try one on. I do not think that anyone around here sells them. I was just going to give Bob3 my measurements and see what he recommends.

Thanks again
Phil

snagel
01-10-2008, 17:17
Well, yes I did make a purchase. In fact, got it today. Haven't even opened the box yet, had to grab a quick sandwich and check out the board. (Am I dedicated or what). Anyway, I did go with the crushed neoprene. Basically, I'm a candy @ss when it comes to being cold. During my search I was contacted by Mike at DiveRightInScuba Dive shop in Illinois. He sold me his personal suit a SeaSoft TiPro 3000 for 1/2 the retail price. There's a long drawn out explanation as to why he was selling it, but it only has about a dozen dives on it. He was a good guy to deal with and offered to take it back if it didn't work for me. So, I made the decision on that suit.

I had narrowed it down to the Bare XCD2 and the DUI CNSE both of which scubatoys was able to provide. But, still even was looking at the Pinnacle Evo 2. After talking to Mike and looking at the SeaSoft online, I made my decision. Now only time will tell if it was a good one.

S. Nagel

cummings66
01-10-2008, 17:19
I bet it's either a 2 or 3, those are the sizes that cover most of the population at any rate unless you're a tiny sucker. Note the envy there. I have a size 2 I can use in the summer and a 3 in the Winter, to be honest with my under garments I could use a 2 all the time but prefer a drysuit to be a little looser on me.

The one in my profile is a size 3 by the way.