PDA

View Full Version : Tusa Fins

Grizbear98
01-06-2008, 20:44
I'm buying fins for the first time, and I've narrowed it down to two. Does anybody have either the Tusa Imprex Tri-EX SF-6 Fins or the Tusa Liberator Fins? What are the main differences in the two other than price?

Soonerwink
01-07-2008, 18:10
The Imprex were the first pair of fins I purchased. They worked fine but I had problems with leg cramps with them. I bought the x-pert zooms and haven't had anymore leg cramps.

diverdan_51
01-07-2008, 18:59
Like soonerwink, I also have the XPert Zooms. I've never owned either of the others. If you can afford the extra money, I'd go with the Zooms. They give great propulsion underwater but where I notice the bigger difference in on the surface. When swimming on the surface, the Zooms don't "smack" the surface like plain blades do. Just my thoughts...

Jaymeany
01-07-2008, 19:48
I will have both soon. the zoom for snorkeling and the imprex for diving. only cramped once but it was COLD great choices either way!!!

willardj
01-07-2008, 20:08
My wife has the older Impex fins and loves them. Real easy to kick with good speed. I like my Quatto's and Jet's my self.

Grizbear98
01-07-2008, 21:01
I asked my professor, and she has the older imprex ones, they seem to be a good buy

I just hope I order the right sizes lol

KGNickl
02-10-2008, 16:33
Impres are cheap and simple! I love them. Not sure about the Tri-Ex though. Considered them, but went with the cheaper ones.

tex2tall
02-10-2008, 19:51
I have the X-Pert Zoom-Black ( Black is a stiffer compound ) love-em

Jay_SMART_Diver
02-10-2008, 22:25
Another vote definetly for the X-pert Zooms, I have the black ones and threw on a pair of spring straps, BEST FINS EVER!!

CaptainRon
02-11-2008, 00:59
My daughter has the Liberators. She has been having problems with cramping while using them. Of course she is only 13 and they seem to be pretty stiff for her. I'm looking for something a little smaller and easier on the leg muscles for her. Any suggestions from anyone?

mitsuguy
02-11-2008, 08:40
My daughter has the Liberators. She has been having problems with cramping while using them. Of course she is only 13 and they seem to be pretty stiff for her. I'm looking for something a little smaller and easier on the leg muscles for her. Any suggestions from anyone?

I, too, have the X-pert Zooms... love em... pretty much any split fin will benefit your daughter, but the Zooms and the Biofins seem to be about the best of the splits out there...

MLenyo
02-11-2008, 10:22
i have the tri-ex fins, but i can't really compare them to anything because i haven't tried any other fins. they worked fine on my checkout dives! if i could go back, i'd probably just get the cheaper fins you pointed out and find what i really wanted later. i don't have many dives on these fins yet, so that may change though =)

KGNickl
02-11-2008, 10:35
Some part of fin choice also has to do with your fitness level. If you have strong legs and great endurance you can get away with a fin that some will complain about fatigue and cramps. I don't really care because I run, swim, and exercise enough to where the only problem usually complain about is a fin having too much give (too little control).

I ate nemo
02-29-2008, 13:35
I have the imprex Tri-EX. They are my first fins and they work great for me.

divingchef
02-29-2008, 13:52
Like soonerwink, I also have the XPert Zooms. I've never owned either of the others. If you can afford the extra money, I'd go with the Zooms. They give great propulsion underwater but where I notice the bigger difference in on the surface. When swimming on the surface, the Zooms don't "smack" the surface like plain blades do. Just my thoughts...

copy that....both my wife and I also dive the Xpert Zooms.....I really like then.....minimal effort, lots of thrust. Go Zoom!

mike_s
02-29-2008, 13:57
since we're talking about TUSA Fins.... have they had a MAP increase recently?

I've noticed all the sudden most sites are carrying them for $149 MAP instead of $129 like it used to be?

anyone else noticed or know?

Grin
03-01-2008, 08:30
I have set of Tusa Imprex open heel fins that are about 15 years old. Great fins. They are green and my nickname was the frog. I finally bought few new sets of fins in the last few years. The first set to replace the Tusas was open heel Mares Quattros which are virtually the exact same fin as my Imprex fins(except not green:smilie39:). And now I dive Cressi 2000s. The Imprex and Quatros are favored by me, over everything but the Cressis, because they are fairly stiff large basic fins that displace a lot of water with little movement. It depends on what style your after: A slow kick moving alot of water. Or the other type of style that split fins and such provide, which I think is a rapid kick that moves less water but also keeps legs from overexerting.
Since I prefer the slow kick with powerful fins the Cressis 2000s ended up being my final selection. I think the Tusa Imprex and Mares Quatros are supreme general fins for many applications, and great fins to start with, as they are middle of the road fins and you can choose which direction to go from there.

cmburch
03-01-2008, 09:35
I'm buying fins for the first time, and I've narrowed it down to two. Does anybody have either the Tusa Imprex Tri-EX SF-6 Fins or the Tusa Liberator Fins? What are the main differences in the two other than price?

My wife had the Liberator until she lost one. She now has the Imprex which she likes better. Faster, easier kicking, more comfortable. My sister has the Tusa split fin that she likes a lot. Faster, easier kicking, more comfortable.

dallasdivergirl
03-01-2008, 20:47
MAP on the tusa fins has increased since the first of the year.

I have zooms & if had to pick a blade fin I would go with the tri-ex's.

I really kind of like the mares raptors in green!

cmburch
03-02-2008, 00:23

I just received my Green XL Mares Raptor fins on Friday. I ordered them without ever looking at them other than in a picture. I was quite surprised. There is a considerable amount of the green plastic in relation to the black rubber than I expected. The toe part of the foot pocket is mainly green plastic, so the foot pocket is stiff. It would be better if they had a picture from the rear and also of the side angle of the fin.

dallasdivergirl
03-02-2008, 08:03

I just received my Green XL Mares Raptor fins on Friday. I ordered them without ever looking at them other than in a picture. I was quite surprised. There is a considerable amount of the green plastic in relation to the black rubber than I expected. The toe part of the foot pocket is mainly green plastic, so the foot pocket is stiff. It would be better if they had a picture from the rear and also of the side angle of the fin.

maybe they are a good canidate for the 360 spin in the ST website!

Grizbear98
03-02-2008, 10:14
my Tri-Exs got some use for the first time this week, they are really comfortable underwater and don't take a lot of effort to move fast. I think this is the first time that my legs haven't been tired from diving.

beperkins
10-16-2008, 11:01
As stated earlier the xpert zooms are awesome.

Beach Bum
03-07-2009, 14:17
anyone have any info on the blue tusa zoom split fins

mitsuguy
03-07-2009, 18:35

what kind of info are ya looking for? I have blue zooms and love em... can't beat the reduced price now...

Beach Bum
03-07-2009, 18:55
well was thinking about purchasing them i have a pair of paddles and want apair of splits for better casual crusing i have used many different types of splits but not had a chance to try the tusa zooms but at the sale price with good reviews i was hoping for a few more raves about it before i bought them

mitsuguy
03-07-2009, 19:03
I don't think you'll find many people with any complaints on them... I have them, I bought a set for the wife and she loves me for it, but she wanted yellow, so I got her the Mares Raptors as they were cheaper than the Tusa's at the time... but now with the special, you really can't go wrong... FYI, the Raptors and Zooms are almost identical...

mike_s
03-08-2009, 13:13

well.... they're blue.... (that's the only difference).

The only pair of Tusa Split open heel fins that is different is the black ones. the black ones are made stiffer by design for people who want a stiffer fin.

other than that... color is the only difference in the rest of them.

Beach Bum
03-14-2009, 13:15
I bought the tusa expert zooms yellow and will be diving with them for the first time tomorrow. they seem to fit really well and hope they perform as such. The expert zooms correct the 28 degree flaw in the human foot to give perfect parallel fins. Many told me they would decrease air intake due to ease in use. I will post my findings tomorrow after dive.

Travman
03-19-2009, 23:54
I have just started using Tusa Zoom fins. They are great, so effortless and my air consumption has dropped a bit.

Bazza
02-12-2010, 15:48
I started off with a pair of Tusa Liberator Fins and loved them. I always made fun of the other DM's and Instructors that had the split fins. That was until I broke down and bought a pair of the Tusa Xpert-Zoom Fins and really love them. It took a few dives to get use to. I even have a Xpert-Zoom key chain lol.

brojack17
02-12-2010, 17:08
Tusa Expert Zoom fins with a spring strap. Love them.

Boardndave
10-21-2011, 16:02

+1. I just added spring straps to my Zooms and I have fallen in love with them all over again.

Boardndave
10-21-2011, 16:03

+1. I just added spring straps to my Zooms and I have fallen in love with them all over again.