PDA

View Full Version : OxyCheq Mach V Signature Wing

kancho
01-07-2008, 07:14
Has anyone tried the new one without the STA? It looks like a nice wing but I want to know how other thoughts are.

BSea
01-07-2008, 07:25
Has anyone tried the new one without the STA? It looks like a nice wing but I want to know how other thoughts are.
If you mean the one with the built in STA, then yes I have 1. I really like it. The built in STA works OK, not great but just OK. But I use my STA with it. Now I already had an STA, and I doubt I'd have bought it had I bought this wing 1st. This is my 2nd Oxycheq wing. I bought the older signature series wing before the original Mach V came out. That's why I have the STA.

kancho
01-07-2008, 08:37
If you mean the one with the built in STA, then yes I have 1. I really like it. The built in STA works OK, not great but just OK. But I use my STA with it. Now I already had an STA, and I doubt I'd have bought it had I bought this wing 1st. This is my 2nd Oxycheq wing. I bought the older signature series wing before the original Mach V came out. That's why I have the STA.

Thanks.. How is it on the surface? I am using a Drysuit would that be an issue?

BSea
01-07-2008, 08:45

Thanks.. How is it on the surface? I am using a Drysuit would that be an issue?

On the surface it's fine. Some have speculated that because it's so narrow, that it would be hard to swim on your back. I've had no complaints at all. I guess the thing that comes to mind is that I never even noticed it was there. In my mind that's what you want in a wing. If you are aware of it, then it's probably because it's causing some sort of problem.

I haven't used it with a drysuit, but I think it would be fine. I use my older wing when I use my drysuit. It's a 45 pound wing compared to my 30 pound Mach V. I use a weighted STA when I dive dry, and integratred weights, so the larger wing is better for that. But if you use a weight belt, then I'm sure the 30 # mach V would be fine.

BobbyWombat
01-07-2008, 09:36
I have the new STA-less Mach V. I don't have any complaints about it. I found that the "wobble stoppers" worked great if you got the tank god and cranked down so they compressed a bit. I didn't notice any tank wobble....so yeah, I'd say I'm happy with it.

The STA-less feature does bring the tank closer to your back, so I've noticed I can't look up as much before hitting my head on the tank valve. A STA would help this issue, if one were to find it bothersome.

-BW

kancho
01-07-2008, 11:21
Thanks for the info.. I never thought about the valve hittin me on the head.. Hmm.. I am sure if isn't a real issue but it will help me decide if I should buy a STA afterwards.

I hit over 200.. Cool just 50 more

cummings66
01-07-2008, 11:38
I dive a sta less wing, DSS, and yes the valve is closer and yes I can hit my head on it if I try. In practice it's not an issue, you won't be looking up like that while diving anyhow.

BobbyWombat
01-07-2008, 12:49
I dive a sta less wing, DSS, and yes the valve is closer and yes I can hit my head on it if I try. In practice it's not an issue, you won't be looking up like that while diving anyhow.

Agreed. In practice not a big deal. Just something I noticed when I made the switch from a jacket style.

kancho
01-07-2008, 13:02
So you have hit it several times? Since I will be wearing a hood most times shouldn't hurt right.

CompuDude
01-07-2008, 13:03
I have the old wing without a built-in STA, but they are the same wing otherwise, and identical if you are using them with a STA anyway.

With the exception of DSS products, any wing that has some form of wobble-stopper is only going to be "ok", not great, in terms of functioning without a STA. I'd say leave the STA at home when traveling, perhaps, but otherwise I'd rather have a STA than not, regardless of whether it's required. It's simply a much cleaner solution.

When you're wearing a hood, you should be able to touch your first stage with the back of your head if everything is sitting right. If you can't, it's unlikely you'll be able to reach your valves. "Touching" the first stage and "hitting" it, however, are two different things. You don't hit it unless you purposely try to. You can "touch" it quite easily, however. And no, it does not hurt.

cummings66
01-07-2008, 13:41
No, I've rarely hit my head on it. I can at will if I so desire, but it's not something I do in the course of normal diving.

Depending on brand as Compudude said, sta less can be a bit different. Mine is as tight as any sta could hold it, but I think it's how Tobin put it together as a design that makes it work.

I'd be willing to bet that this wing here will be solid or it wouldn't be sold. On scuba board the two of them have had some very heated arguments and I'm sure based on how Patrick slammed sta less designs as being poor that he's got the problems licked as well, or he wouldn't sell it.

I believe the design should be fine, and I think that yes it's easier to hit your head but that's a non issue. I've never hit mine hard enough to do anything other than remind me it's there.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
01-09-2008, 09:59
I have the Mach V with the wobble stoppers. The wing slots do not line up with the slots on my BP. I could jerry rig it with only one band through the BP slots but using an STA seems cleaner.

I have no problem swimming on my back. I can hardly tell the Mach V is there. Under water, I love it. Although, I feel more "secure" at the surface with a larger wing.

kancho
01-09-2008, 10:04
I have the Mach V with the wobble stoppers. The wing slots do not line up with the slots on my BP. I could jerry rig it with only one band through the BP slots but using an STA seems cleaner.

I have no problem swimming on my back. I can hardly tell the Mach V is there. Under water, I love it. Although, I feel more "secure" at the surface with a larger wing.

What kind of BP are you using. I want to use this wing with a Dive Rite Alum plate.

01-09-2008, 11:30
I believe the plate that doesn't match is an Apeks. I have my buddy's Dive Rite alum plate at home in my garage. I'll check the alignment with that plate tonight and post back.

01-09-2008, 18:45
It appears that my buddy's Dive Rite aluminum plate would work with the Mach V with the wobble stoppers without an STA since the slots match up.

kancho
01-09-2008, 19:13
Cool.. I ordered it. I can't wait till I get it. I will dive with it the first day. Even in 33F water.. It looks good and really slim.

01-09-2008, 19:33
Cool.. I ordered it. I can't wait till I get it. I will dive with it the first day. Even in 33F water.. It looks good and really slim.

Yes, it's a great wing. Enjoy.

kancho
01-10-2008, 13:45
I paid a sweet $202 for it. 10% and the 50 gift cert for reaching 250 is great. ST rocks.. I will order again..

cmburch
02-15-2008, 00:13
I have hit my head on my first stage; a few times painfully when excitedly chasing down fish under rocks and boulders, or being dragged by halibut. When looking around and under rocks, my body orientation tends to be downward with fins up. I usually look sideways not up except when I am swimming straight after something. I tend to try not to swim straight at a fish since it will usually spook it. Unless of course, I have already hit it once and I do not want it to get away. I recently purchased a backplate with STA and crotch strap for stability when hiking down cliffs, so my tank doesn't shift and cause me to work harder to keep my balance. I hope it also solves my head bumping problem.