PDA

View Full Version : RAW image viewer

Scubakraut
01-07-2008, 10:57
Does anybody know of a good raw image viewer like when you just want to view your photos in a slide show to enjoy? I know Microsoft supplies a raw thumbnailer, are all raw files created equal would it work for the Canon 40D raw files?

cummings66
01-07-2008, 11:32
You mentioned Canon, 40D to be specific. Canon supplies a driver that will let you view raw files as a thumbnail, and full size as well. Download it or install the driver if you haven't done so already.

Puffer Fish
01-07-2008, 12:21
Does anybody know of a good raw image viewer like when you just want to view your photos in a slide show to enjoy? I know Microsoft supplies a raw thumbnailer, are all raw files created equal would it work for the Canon 40D raw files?
The canon one works, but I believe there are several others...but to your point, almost every raw file is different...if you do a search for raw file programs you should get several that would do the job.

Note: Many of the photo adjustment programs can handle the files from a 40D... paint shop pro and adobe's both will.

CompuDude
01-07-2008, 12:59
In addition to PhotoShop (Adobe Bridge, which comes with) and Paint Shop Pro, you might look at recent versions of ACDSee, as well.

Also an option are programs like Adobe Lightroom and Apple's Aperature.

bperrybap
01-07-2008, 16:16
I really like FastStone Image Viewer (http://www.faststone.org/)
It has support for lots of raw formats, can do slide shows with music,
even lots of photo touchups/cropping/editing etc...
And oh yeah, its FREE.

There is also a smaller more limited version as well.
(FastStone MaxView)

--- bill

Scubakraut
01-09-2008, 16:13
I will try that one out. But I'm looking for more like a windows XP codec, you know when you are in explorer and can see all your thumbnails. Right now it shows up as a unknown file.

pav
01-10-2008, 04:29
I have recently done some research into RAW files. I just bought a camera for an upcoming vacation and bought a Canon because of the relatively inexpensive case offered for it. I modded my new Canon with CHDK firmware, which among other things, allows it to produce RAW files. The RAW files that my camera produces are only readable by a few programs. From what I gather, RAW files are different depending on what brand camera (or image processor chip) produced them. Once the RAW file is converted into a DNG (digital negative) it is more universally readable by different programs. I may be wrong on this though, as I am just recently expanding beyond basic point and shoot photography.

CompuDude
01-10-2008, 13:05
I have recently done some research into RAW files. I just bought a camera for an upcoming vacation and bought a Canon because of the relatively inexpensive case offered for it. I modded my new Canon with CHDK firmware, which among other things, allows it to produce RAW files. The RAW files that my camera produces are only readable by a few programs. From what I gather, RAW files are different depending on what brand camera (or image processor chip) produced them. Once the RAW file is converted into a DNG (digital negative) it is more universally readable by different programs. I may be wrong on this though, as I am just recently expanding beyond basic point and shoot photography.

No, you pretty much have the idea. DNG is Adobe's attempt at creating a universal format, other than that, every RAW file has to be individually interpreted by a program that understands the precise details of that camera's chip's RAW output.

Scubakraut
01-11-2008, 19:31
ok. I suppose I will have to use Canon's supplied SW to view all my images.

cummings66
01-13-2008, 08:53
No, you don't need Canons software, they have a driver that will allow Windows to view the raw images as a thumbnail. It's on your CD. I'll look on their website in a bit to see if it's a download or not. Canon for some stupid reason tends to put only updates there and relies on you having the original stuff on CD.

cummings66
01-13-2008, 08:59
Canon EOS 40D Digital SLR (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=15653)

I hope that link works, but it's called the Canon Raw Codec 1.2 It says it's for Vista but it's on the XP os webpage so I assume it's both.

I do know it's what I installed to see thumbnails using Windows. It's another image as far as windows is concerned. Select your OS from the dropdown and wait a bit and it updates to show you the updates and programs for only that OS. Not all things are available for each OS so you won't see the codec until you choose your OS.

bversteegh
01-16-2008, 00:03
That Codec works for both XP and Vista for my camera (a 20D, the 3 year old precursor to the 40D). It works pretty well, one minor limitation is that it won't give you the filmstrip viewer option in XP.

Also, Picasa from Google is a very good photo viewing program (and free). It is very fast to render RAW images if you have a slower computer - I have Photoshop CS2, and on my old computer (an AMD XP2500 w/1 gig RAM) - picasa is 10x faster rendering images than Adobe Bridge (the RAW tool in Photoshop) - and not nearly as dependent on lots of RAM.