PDA

View Full Version : Mares R2 Rebel

cgvmer
07-26-2007, 21:07
Can I get any opinions and/or experiences with the Mares R2 Rebel regulator

creggur
07-27-2007, 09:30
I don't have any personal experience, but here are some specs... Looks like at 1.44 wob it's nearly a class A regulator, and I think ST is selling them for $135.00. Kind of hard to beat for a brand new reg for recreational diving..

It does say "no" next the nitrox field....hhmm if that's the case and you are looking to go nitrox anytime over the next couple of years you may want to look elsewhere....

Descrição: MARES R2 Rebel

TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS

First stage weight: 686 g INT/693 g DIN
Second Stage Weight: 622 g
Oil/Dry CWD kit Oil
Nitrox: No
Number of HP ports: 1 HP 7/16" UNF
Number of LP ports: 4 LP 3/8" UNF
Inhale pressure: 14.23
Exhale pressure: 8.40
Ext work of breathing: 1.44
Inhale Work: 0.84
Pos inhale work: 0.00
Exhale work: 0.61
Volume depth of test: 50.5

Joew
07-27-2007, 14:44
I've used the R2 rebel a couple of times and it's ok. Not the greatest breathing reg I've used, but they are reliable. I haven't used them deeper than ~40ft, so I don't know how it does at depth. If you are on a really tight budget, then I think it is a good deal. If you can afford a little more, I'd invest more in you're reg. If not then you'll probably end up upgrading in a year or two. You don't need a top of the line model. Get at least something with a balanced first stage, and probably a balanced second, too.

DirtyWaterIL
07-28-2007, 11:56
Ive use the rebel before and have no complaints. It isn't an extremely smooth breather but it functions well and is cheap. We use theese for our rentals/classes so they take a bit more abuse than a normal regulator and they hold up just fine.

dludwig
08-02-2007, 21:45
I have a Rebel 2. I was at 87 feet in 47 degree water at Bull Shoals, the end of April, & it became very hard to breath. I was drawing so hard I actually pulled some water in the corners of my mouth. Very tense for a little bit. :smiley11:
I never had a problem before that. I immediately bought an Abyss but still have the Rebel as a backup. I like MARES stuff

namabiru
08-10-2007, 13:26
Mmm... I used the R2 rebel on one dive, and I thought it frankly breathed more like an octo than a primary air source. Perhaps it just needed adjusting to me, though, as it belonged to my instructor.

I guess you could always use it for a while, then keep it for backup or put it on a pony bottle or something.

Then again, you can get a decent package deal if you can scrap together a couplea hundred dollars more.

I looked at buying the Rebel too, when I was short on funds, but someone wisely talked me out of it. They said I'd be better off saving money and buying a better quality reg. used from someone than buying a lower quality brand-new. And you know what--I lurked, and pounced on a great deal, and that's how I got my setup.