PDA

View Full Version : We'll be at Morrison Springs Friday, 1/18/08

Dive-aholic
01-07-2008, 19:55
We'll be at Morrison Springs Friday, 1/18/08 around 11am. We're meeting some potential divers for a Discover Scuba, but we'll also be doing a dive outside of that. If anyone is interested in coming out, it should be a fun day. Also, if you know anyone who is interested in diving, let me know. Our Discover Scuba is free. We would just need some advance notice to make sure we bring enough tanks and gear with us.

moosicman
01-07-2008, 20:12
I would LOVE to go and take my wife because I am trying to get her into scuba and get her certed. There is only one problem that stands in the way right now. The forcast is calling for a high in the 40s with rain and my wife gets cold when I turn the thermostat below 76 degrees. So let me know when you are going in warmer weather as I think the discover scuba would be the way to get her involved. I however may still come. I'm not cave certified but I wouldn't mind buddying up with someone for some non-cave action! Do ya think a 4/3 full will be too little suit?

And other than this trip, I haven't forgotten about you-my neighbor in Marianna. I've just been honeymooning. But I am DYING to get underwater!!! So I'll be looking you up to go diving soon if you are still interested:)

ReefHound
01-07-2008, 20:44
I wouldn't put much into a weather forecast 11 days out, and just in case you don't know, Morrison water temp is 68 degrees year round.

moosicman
01-07-2008, 20:50
LOL...I know its a long range forcast but I worst case senario it and then if I get lucky, good.:) And I know the water temp. but that will probably only be acceptible to my wife when it is above that temperature-wise out of the water. It will suprise me greatly if on Jan 18th it is in the 70s when there is a cold front on its way.

johnod
01-08-2008, 06:38
I can't make it to Morrison until the 19th. Me and my wife are driving to Panama City from Ohio on the 18th, won't be in till that night. Maybe someone will want to dive vortex the 19th? Just throwing that out there.

Puffer Fish
01-08-2008, 12:31
I would LOVE to go and take my wife because I am trying to get her into scuba and get her certed. There is only one problem that stands in the way right now. The forcast is calling for a high in the 40s with rain and my wife gets cold when I turn the thermostat below 76 degrees. So let me know when you are going in warmer weather as I think the discover scuba would be the way to get her involved. I however may still come. I'm not cave certified but I wouldn't mind buddying up with someone for some non-cave action! Do ya think a 4/3 full will be too little suit?

And other than this trip, I haven't forgotten about you-my neighbor in Marianna. I've just been honeymooning. But I am DYING to get underwater!!! So I'll be looking you up to go diving soon if you are still interested:)
You will need some sort of over jacket when out of the water...and a hooded vest is not a bad deal. I tried Morrison two weeks ago, and it was flooded (which means so serious bad vis also).

I worry more about how high the river is, and this storm headed our way may mess the area up for a month or so.

Love Morrison, but only when the river is low.

Puffer Fish
01-08-2008, 12:35
I can't make it to Morrison until the 19th. Me and my wife are driving to Panama City from Ohio on the 18th, won't be in till that night. Maybe someone will want to dive vortex the 19th? Just throwing that out there.

John, if you guys can leave on night before, you are more than welcome to stay at my place and leave in the morning...will give you an extra half day. You could be there before noon. (I'm under seven hours from Panama city)

moosicman
01-08-2008, 12:39
Hey, weather permitting I'm up for doing both Morrison and Vortex! I need to go get me a hood....

Puffer Fish...do you cave dive? and are there some good eels at Morrison above cave level?

mwhities
01-08-2008, 13:25
I wish I could make it. I've dove Morrisons before and loved it. Even the river basin. Not sure about Vortex. From a few of the pictures I've seen, it might be an alright dive.

Rob, want to dive Pelham Feb2? I have a quite a few divers saying that they are going to make it.

Puffer Fish
01-08-2008, 14:39
Hey, weather permitting I'm up for doing both Morrison and Vortex! I need to go get me a hood....

Puffer Fish...do you cave dive? and are there some good eels at Morrison above cave level?

My avatar is from the river basin at Morrison.

Morrison is a giant cavern....not really a cave system. Bottom around 80 or 90 ft, depending on the river level.

There are some eels at the top, but most are at the bottom - neat to see.

At it's best, Morrison has the clearest water I have ever seen... just not at it's best all the time.

Puffer Fish
01-08-2008, 14:41
I wish I could make it. I've dove Morrisons before and loved it. Even the river basin. Not sure about Vortex. From a few of the pictures I've seen, it might be an alright dive.

Rob, want to dive Pelham Feb2? I have a quite a few divers saying that they are going to make it.
We call Vortex "the mud hole", if that gives you any idea, and it is costly. Would rather dive the jetties any day.

easyrider003
01-08-2008, 18:26
I will be at Vortex on January 19. Should be there by 9 or 9:30 a.m

Dive-aholic
01-08-2008, 18:44

Brad, it is definitely too early to know what the weather is going to be that day. I've learned that in the short time I've been in Florida! :D But if it does pan out as forecast, we can do something when it warms up some. Just let me know when she's ready. We offer Discovers on demand and put the offer out to others when we're doing them (space permitting). We can definitely get it done.

Also, Morrison may or may not clear up by the 18th. If it doesn't we'll be taking the Discover Scuba to Vortex, which isn't that far north of Morrison. But hopefully it will clear. I like Morrison much better.

Dive-aholic
01-08-2008, 19:28

Michael, I'm working that weekend. Otherwise, I would definitely be up for it. I've been wanting to check it out for a while.

moosicman
01-08-2008, 21:18
Well, if it isn't unbearable I am COMPLETELY up for diving. You are familiar with the local condition of the dive sites so I'll rely upon you to let me know if Morrison is diveable or not. If not I'll be at Vortex on both the other days. LOL, the further along it gets, the more I want to dive regardless of how cold it is. I'm like a junkie needing a fix...hehehe. I'b betting no matter happens weather-wise that my wife will want to wait for summery type weather. I'm okay with that and she is kosher with me diving whenever. So I won't plan on her going this trip, but as soon as possible I'll let you know and we can take her and hopefully get her hooked.

If all goes well with Mother Nature I look forward to meeting you guys and you too, Easyrider!

mwhities
01-08-2008, 21:28

Michael, I'm working that weekend. Otherwise, I would definitely be up for it. I've been wanting to check it out for a while.

That sucks. I might be in my dry suit. :)

Michael

Dive-aholic
01-09-2008, 18:30
Brad, sounds good. I'm going to call the county to see about access to the water (I just found out they've started construction on the park). It should still be accessible on weekends, but I'm not sure about during the week. We may just move the whole thing a little farther east...

Michael, enjoy the dry suit. I thought you were going to wait a while, though. We'll definitely be up there sometime in the next couple of months. We need to head up to Montgomery one day and Pelham is only another 1-1.5 hours north of that.

moosicman
01-09-2008, 20:06
I'd go up to Montgomery too!

Dive-aholic
01-10-2008, 21:28
Nothing in Montgomery to dive that I know of, but just south of Birmingham is ABWA.

hoobascooba
01-15-2008, 13:58
Morrison is probably gonna suck this weekend. Big storm coming in tonight and tomorrow. That will swell the river.

dang it! Another opp to dive Morrison and it gets shot down due to the freaking river!

someone needs to build a baffle, or something that keeps the river from swelling up into the spring...

ReefHound
01-15-2008, 14:55
Um... you apparently missed the other threads. Morrison is CLOSED for the next few months at least, maybe more. They have begun major construction on new facilities there. A paved parking lot, concrete boat ramp, boardwalk extending over the springs, restrooms, and more are being built. Hopefully it will be open by summer. I'm afraid your chance to dive it in the pristine state it used to be is gone.

hoobascooba
01-15-2008, 15:14
Um... you apparently missed the other threads. Morrison is CLOSED for the next few months at least, maybe more. They have begun major construction on new facilities there. A paved parking lot, concrete boat ramp, boardwalk extending over the springs, restrooms, and more are being built. Hopefully it will be open by summer. I'm afraid your chance to dive it in the pristine state it used to be is gone.

yeah, i just saw that thread, it was in the wrong place. It was under Southeast-Except Florida. Had it been where it belonged, i just may have seen it.

It's a bummer though. I really wanted to dive Morrison. Maybe it will be "better".

Dive-aholic
01-15-2008, 22:29
Yes, Morrison is closed, so we're moving the Discover Scuba east. PM if you're interested.