PDA

View Full Version : Apollo Bio XT or Bio Pro

bullzi
01-07-2008, 22:33
Hey everyone,
I posted the same queston in the Apollo section and got some good info on the XT. Now I would like to ask for some opinions from the masses.

Here is my story: I recieved some Apollo Bio XT fins for Christmas. I have been wondering if I should keep the XT or send them back and get some standard Bio Pros.

I am very intrested in the claim that using Bio Fins will reduce your air consumtion. I am a air pig and any savings would help:smiley20:. With the XT being a stiffer fin will I get the same air savings that I would get with the Bio Pro? I dont have a problem with cramps using my current fin (Aqua Lung Blades 2) so I am not worried about having to kick. If I can move just as fast or faster with Bios with less effort that is all the better. I am not getting any younger or smaller these days :smiley36:

Anybody that has an opinion one way or the other feel free to fire away. I just want to make sure that what I have is the best for me.

Thanks for any info.
Chris

Diver Kat
01-07-2008, 23:07
Never thought too much about the air consumption benefit, but it makes sense that the fins would help. It takes very little effort to get moving with these fins, which to me would equate to using less air. I've had my bio-fin pros for about 7 years now, I purchased them because they offered less stress on your knees - as I'd had knee surgery. They didn't have the XT's back then.

However, based on the Scuba Diving Magazine ratings when they tested both the XT & the Pro, both won top honors, and only varied slightly in their ratings. Heres the rating breakdowns:

2004: Bio-fin pro XT-C & Bio-fin pro Yellow “Testers’ Choice”

(XT-C) Power vs stress (5), Stability (4), Manueverability (4), Acceleration (4), Fit & comfort (4), Alternate kicks (4), Surface swim (4), Donning/doffing (5), Adj for fit (5) Nonskid (4) Total adjusted ergo score (89/105) Speed test (5), Slalom course (5), Efficiency course (5) Total objective score (15/15) Raw data: Speed 3.0 (flutter kick) 2.3 (frog kick) 2.4 (dolphin kick), Slalom course 30 sec, Efficiency course 20 sec. source: scuba diving 11/2004

(Yellow) Power vs stress (5), Stability (4), Manueverability (4), Acceleration (5), Fit & comfort (4), Alternate kicks (4), Surface swim (4), Donning/doffing (4), Adjusting for fit (4), Nonskid (4) Total adjusted ergo score (90/105) Speed test (5), Slalom course (5), Efficiency course (5), Total objective score (14/15) Raw data: Speed 2.7 (flutter kick) 2.0 (frog kick) 2.4 (dolphin kick), Slalom course 30 seconds, Efficiency course 20 seconds

bullzi
01-08-2008, 20:35
Thank you very much for that info!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I figured the 2 fins would be close in testing just couldn't find any test to back that up.
Thanks again!!

Puffer Fish
01-08-2008, 22:22
Thank you very much for that info!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I figured the 2 fins would be close in testing just couldn't find any test to back that up.
Thanks again!!
I have had the yellow pro's for several years, and am going to the stiffer ones... not because the pro's don't work, but I am a big guy and can bend fins more than the average person.. also, they work better for things like a frog kick.

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 23:37
I like the XTs better than the pro's for the same reason as Puffer Fish. The Pro's felt too floppy... and the XTs actually scored a little faster in the tests. I also feel they give you more benefit in a current.

All that said, I rarely use my splits these days.