PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviations and acronyms used on this board

aggie99
01-08-2008, 01:01
I decided to start a list of abbreviations and acronyms that you see on these boards for the new arrivals. I figured this could help after seeing posts asking for what they mean. Please feel free to add and I will update the list as necessary and we can even make suggestions for new one's!

AGE-Arterial Gas Embolism: A potentially serious scuba diving injury caused by bubbles of gas in the bloodstream
AI - air intergrated (computer)
AL’s- Aluminum Tanks
AL80- Aluminum 80 Tanks
AOW- Advanced Open Water Certification
ATA- ATmospheres Absolute; 1 ATA is the atmospheric pressure at sea level, and an additional atmosphere worth of pressure is added every 33' of sea water. Atmosphere absolute = 14.7 PSI of pressure.
BC- Buoyancy Compensator
BP/W- Back plate and Wing
BT- Bottom Time
C-card- Scuba Certification Card (NAUI, SSI, PADI etc.)
CESA- Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent
DAN- Diver Alert Network – Diver Medical Insurance and more
DB - dive buddy
DCI- Decompression Illness; a generic term for pressure-related scuba injuries including AGE and DCS
DCS- Decompression Sickness; the 'bends'
DIN- Deutsches Institut fuer Normung (German Institution for Standardization), an alternate to the yoke-style connector on a scuba tank
DIR- Do(ing) It Right, a style of diving that mixes a specific gear configuration and a style a team diving)
DM- Dive Master (usually, the person running the show on a dive boat, aside from the Captain. In charge of diving operations, primarily concerned with safety.)
DS - dry suit
EANx- Enriched Air Nitrox, sometimes simply "Nitrox". Refers to air with a higher-than-normal level of oxygen. EAN is a subset of nitrox. Nitrox is any mixture of nitrogen and oxygen, while EAN is air with additional oxygen added.
EPO - Environmental Police Officer... the guys who check to make sure your lobsters are legal size.
FFM - Full face Mask
FFW- Feet of Fresh Water (ex: I dove to 25 ffw in a local quarry on my trip to Idaho)
FSW- Feet of Sea Water (ex: I only went down to 25 fsw for my first dive in Hawaii)
HID- High Intensity Discharge –referring to dive lights
Hog- Hogarthian setup for BP/W & sometimes a mother-in-law
HP- High Pressure - Refers to both tank pressures above 3000psi and also the ports on a first stage that don't reduce tank pressure
HUD - Heads Up Display (datamask (Oceanic/Aeris Mask))
IMO- In my opinion
J&L- Joe and Larry (The owners of Scubatoys)
LDS- Local Dive Shop
LP- Low Pressure -Refers to both tank pressures 3000psi and below and also the ports on a first stage that do reduce tank pressure
MOD- Maximum Operating Depth, maximum depth for a specific Nitrox mix
MOF- Mask on Forehead
NDL- No Decompression Limit, max time limit at a given depth without having to decompression stops, i.e., normal recreational diving
NDS - nondiving spouse
NMOF- No mask on forehead
OOA- Out of Air
OP - original poster, the person who started the thread
OW- Open Water Certification, also known as BOW (Basic Open Water)
PITA- Pain in the a$$
PSI- Pounds per Square Inch, a measurement of pressure. Commonly used to determine how much gas is in a scuba tank of a known volume.
PM - private message
RDP- Recreational Dive Planner, PADI's regular dive tables used to determine NDLs for purposes of dive planning and logging.
RMV - respiratory minute volume... the rate you use gas at a given depth, calculated based on SAC.
SAC- Surface Air Consumption [Rate], a way to calculate how long your air will last at a given depth (once you know the rate at the surface, it is a simple calculation to determine it at any depth).
SCR Surface Consumption Rate - same as SAC
SI- Surface Interval, the time spent out of the water between dives, be it 5 minutes, 5 years, or anywhere in between
SO - Significant Other
SPG- Submersible Pressure Guage, that round thing you look at to see how much air your tank has left
SMB- Surface Marker Buoy – Also known as a safety sausage
ST- Scubatoys
STA- Single Tank Adapter, an optional component in a bp/w system
WAI- Wireless Air Integrated. A computer with a wireless transponder to send pressure information from a small device mounted on the first stage to a separate computer, usually worn on the wrist.
WTB- Want to Buy
WTF!!!- What the F%&*, used when somebody drops hard weights on your foot!!And if it isn't on the list try:
http://lancasterscuba.com/glossary.asp (http://lancasterscuba.com/glossary.asp)
SCUBA Diving Acronyms - The SCUBA Stop (http://www.thescubastop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50)
Scuba Diving Board - Acronyms (http://www.scubaboard.com/cms/article8.html)

LCFrigon
01-08-2008, 02:29
I see people using SO. I gather that means Significant other, or special other or smelly other in some cases. Took me a moment to figure it out though...just kept reading it as "so" and thinking :so what?" :)

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 03:04
I put together a mini acronym list for another scuba BBS a year or so ago, aimed primarily at newer divers (it thus leaves out a number of higher end terms, PPO2 and other tech/nitrox terms, etc.) due to the target audience. It may be of some assistance here as well. It is NOT intended to be a full-blown encyclopedic list of with comprehensive definitions, merely a mini-directory/cheat sheet for those unfamiliar with the acronyms. It also could probably use touching up there and there, as I mostly sat down one night and dashed it off from the top of my head, so feel free to add to it, or PM if you'd like me to supplement this list instead.

Another, separate list may be useful at some point for common internet abbreviations (non-scuba-specific), such as LOL and others, for those who are not quite as hip to the online lingo.

~~~~~~~~~~

AGE- Arterial Gas Embolism: A serious scuba diving injury caused by bubbles of gas in the bloodstream

AOW- Advanced Open Water (there is some debate over just how "advanced" it is, but that's what it stands for)

ATA- ATmospheres Absolute; 1 ATA is the atmospheric pressure at sea level, and an additional atmosphere worth of pressure is added every 33' of sea water. Atmosphere absolute = 14.7 PSI of pressure.

BC- Buoyancy Compensator [Device, sometimes "BCD"] - if you don't know what this is, get certified for scuba then come back. :)

BOW- Basic Open Water. Not usually an actual course, but useful to distinguish a certification level below AOW.

BP/W- Backplate and Wing, a style of buoyancy compensator characterized by a rigid backplate (aluminum, steel or delrin) and a separate wing, and a streamlined front

BT- Bottom Time

C-card: scuba diving certification card

DCI- Decompression Illness; a generic term for pressure-related scuba injuries including AGE and DCS

DIN- Deutsches Institut fuer Normung, an alternate to the yoke-style connector on a scuba tank

DIR- Do(ing) It Right, a style of diving that mixes a specific gear configuration and a style a team diving

DM- Dive Master (usually, the person running the show on a dive boat, aside from the Captain. In charge of diving operations, primarily concerned with safety.)

EANx- Enriched Air Nitrox, sometimes simply "Nitrox". Refers to air with a higher-than-normal level of oxygen. EAN is a subset of nitrox. Nitrox is any mixture of nitrogen and oxygen, while EAN is air with additional oxygen added.

FFW- Feet of Fresh Water (ex: I dove to 25 ffw in a local quarry on my trip to Idaho)

FSW- Feet of Sea Water (ex: I only went down to 25 fsw for my first dive in Hawaii)

HID- High Intensity Discharge, a kind of very bright bulb found in some of your better underwater flashlights

Hog- "Hogarthian". An ultra-simplified gear system developed for cave diving (originally) bu Bill "Hogarth" Main. Used as the inspiration of the DIR gear configuration.

HP- High Pressure, usually refers to a scuba tank that can be filled to pressures greater than 3000 psi without exceeding manufacture and DOT allowable limits. Often combined with the fill rating of a tank (measured in cubic feet) to describe a tank and it's capacity, for instance, an HP100 would be a high pressure tank that holds 100cf of gas when filled to it's rated capacity.

LDS- Local Dive Shop

LP- Low Pressure, usually refers to a scuba tank that can only be filled to pressures lower than 3000 psi without exceeding manufacture and DOT allowable limits.

NDL- No Decompression Limit, max time limit at a given depth without having to decompression stops, i.e., normal recreational diving

OOA- Out of Air

PSI- Pounds per Square Inch, a measurement of pressure. Commonly used to determine how much gas is in a scuba tank of a known volume.

RDP- Recreational Dive Planner, PADI's regular dive tables used to determine NDLs for purposes of dive planning and logging.

SAC- Surface Air Consumption [Rate], a way to calculate how long your air will last at a given depth (once you know the rate at the surface, it is a simple calculation to determine it at any depth).

SI- Surface Interval, the time spent out of the water between dives, be it 5 minutes, 5 years, or anywhere in between

SMB- Surface Marker Buoy, an inflatable tube device used to attract attention at the surface. Sometimes also used as a flotation device during decompression.

SPG- Submersible Pressure Gauge, that round thing you look at to see how much air your tank has left

STA- Single Tank Adapter, an optional component in a bp/w system. Backplates are primarily designed for use with double tanks, so to use them with a single tank, either a wing with special stabilizers is needed or an STA. Also makes it faster and simpler to switch configurations between a doubles wing and doubles tank, and a singles wing and single tank.

aggie99
01-08-2008, 03:09
I put together a mini acronym list for another scuba BBS a year or so ago, with current terms, aimed primarily at newer divers (it thus leaves out a number of higher end terms, PPO2 and other tech/nitrox terms, etc.) due to the target audience. It may be of some assistance here as well.

Another, separate list may be useful at some point for common internet abbreviations (non-scuba-specific).

AGE- Arterial Gas Embolism: A serious scuba diving injury caused by bubbles of gas in the bloodstream

AOW- Advanced Open Water (there is some debate over just how "advanced" it is, but that's what it stands for)

BC- Buoyancy Compensator [Device, sometimes "BCD"] - if you don't know what this is, get certified for scuba then come back. :)

BOW- Basic Open Water. Not usually an actual course, but useful to distinguish a certification level below AOW.

BP/W- Backplate and Wing, a style of buoyancy compensator characterized by a rigid backplate (aluminum, steel or delrin) and a separate wing, and a streamlined front

BT- Bottom Time

C-card: scuba diving certification card

DIN- Deutsches Institut fuer Normung, an alternate to the yoke-style connector on a scuba tank

DIR- Do(ing) It Right, a style of diving that mixes a specific gear configuration and a style a team diving

HID- High Intensity Discharge, a kind of very bright bulb found in some of your better underwater flashlights

HP- High Pressure, usually refers to a scuba tank that can be filled to pressures greater than 3000 psi without exceeding manufacture and DOT allowable limits. Often combined with the fill rating of a tank (measured in cubic feet) to describe a tank and it's capacity, for instance, an HP100 would be a high pressure tank that holds 100cf of gas when filled to it's rated capacity.

LDS- Local Dive Shop

LP- Low Pressure, usually refers to a scuba tank that can only be filled to pressures lower than 3000 psi without exceeding manufacture and DOT allowable limits.

OOA- Out of Air

PSD- Public Safety Diver

SPG- Submersible Pressure Guage, that round thing you look at to see how much air your tank has left

STA- Single Tank Adapter, an optional component in a bp/w system. Backplates are primarily designed for use with double tanks, so to use them with a single tank, either a wing with special stabilizers is needed or an STA. Also makes it faster and simpler to switch configurations between a doubles wing and doubles tank, and a singles wing and single tank.

I will add to the list... thanks! Of course you didn't put what BBS stands for???

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 03:20
I will add to the list... thanks! Of course you didn't put what BBS stands for???

Well, my list, as I mentioned in the intro, is of Scuba acronyms, not general internet terms. They should probably be somewhat separate, IMO. In case you wanted to know, however:

BBS- Bulletin Board System. Originally referred to dialup modem-based systems, the term has carried over to web-based chat boards as well.

aggie99
01-08-2008, 03:31

Well, my list, as I mentioned in the intro, is of Scuba acronyms, not general internet terms. They should probably be somewhat separate, IMO. In case you wanted to know, however:

BBS- Bulletin Board System. Originally referred to dialup modem-based systems, the term has carried over to web-based chat boards as well.

This was intended to be a list of Scuba Acronyms found on the board, I added a few standard abbreviations found on message boards for those that might not know them.

diversteve
01-08-2008, 03:36
A couple of others - in order of usefulness:

http://lancasterscuba.com/glossary.asp
SCUBA Diving Acronyms - The SCUBA Stop (http://www.thescubastop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50)

aggie99
01-08-2008, 03:44
A couple of others - in order of usefulness:

http://lancasterscuba.com/glossary.asp

Thanks...I added them to the bottom if this simple list doesn't cover it.

WaScubaDude
01-08-2008, 18:33
Do you have "MOF"and "MNOF" from the great mask debate?

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 18:41
Ooh, good one... adding MOF/NMOF to my personal list now. :)

aggie99
01-08-2008, 19:26

I guess I missed that debate, what do they stand for?

Matt P
01-08-2008, 19:31
How about these:

DB - dive buddy
DS - dry suit
NDS - nondiving spouse

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 19:55
How about these:

DB - dive buddy
DS - dry suit
NDS - nondiving spouse

I've never seen NDS, and DB very rarely, but ok. OP seems more a general internet thing, but probably good for this combined list.

May as well add in:

WAI- Wireless Air Integrated. A computer with a wireless transponder to send pressure information from a small device mounted on the first stage to a separate computer, usually worn on the wrist.

Tom A
01-08-2008, 20:59
starting to sound like the military

BuzzF117
01-08-2008, 21:13
WTF!!! used when somebody drops hard weights on your foot!!

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 22:18

Mask on Forehead / No Mask on Forehead

Search will turn up several threads. :)

wgt
01-09-2008, 07:43
I am going to suggest a less restrictive alternative to the proposed definition of AGE.

"AGE-Arterial Gas Embolism: A serious scuba diving injury caused by bubbles of gas in the bloodstream"

----

First and perhaps surprisingly, AGE need not be serious ("potentially serious" would perhaps be better).

Second, if the bubbles of gas in the blood-stream are on the venous side of the circulation, then they would constitute a venous gas embolism (rather than arterial). Venous gas emboli are often not dangerous at all, depending on the volume of gas and the rate of delivery.

Third, simply stating that it is bubbles of gas that are implicated does not necessarily meet the requirement that the bolus of gas has been introduced directly into the vascular system from the outside of the body without having entered solution. Bubbles of gas in the vascular system are obviously not uncommon in DCS (or even normal off-gassing [i.e., micro-bubbles]), but these need not not constitute AGE.

Fourth, AGE is not a condition restricted to scuba diving. In fact, most AGE arises out of the context of scuba diving. Such an example would be an escape from submerged vehicle (not uncommon with bad road conditions). AGE can even occur in the absence of decompression, as while somebody is simply minding their own business, only to experience a spontaneous pneumothorax (taller more slender persons tend to be the victims). Other pulmonary trauma-related cases could involve lung biopsy, tumor surgery, etc. Apart from direct pulmonary trauma, AGE is associated with open central lines, renal dialysis...There is also a very bizarre method of induction that I will not share here (Joe might find experimentation too tempting, and none of us needs the law suit). I will, however, be happy to share with Platypusman, as, time and time again, he has proved himself responsible enough to be trusted with such information.

May I suggest an alternative definition of AGE for our purposes?

AGE -The pathological introduction of an exogenous bolus of gas into the arterial circulation, as may occur in scuba divers undergoing pulmonary barotrauma in association with the breathing of compressed gas.

Admittedly, this definition does not mesh precisely with AGE, as defined by authorities most concerned with scuba diving and hence decompression (e.g., DAN). I would therefore not be surprised to see a more targeted acronym emerge in the future to deal specifically with decompression-related arterial gas embolism (e.g., DRAGE?).

CompuDude
01-09-2008, 12:53
It's not an encyclopedia or even a dictionary. It's a quick reference sheet to give some folks a clue about common acronyms.

It's also not my list, but my choice would simply be to add the word "potentially" serious.

Scuba diving injury is accurate in this context. And as the list is aimed at non-medical, non-expert, frequently new divers, I would suggest that the simpler the explanation is, the better. Newbies can at least understand the gist of my description... *I* nearly ran screaming from yours.

But I leave the choice to the OP.

I am going to suggest a less restrictive alternative to the proposed definition of AGE.

"AGE-Arterial Gas Embolism: A serious scuba diving injury caused by bubbles of gas in the bloodstream"

----

First and perhaps surprisingly, AGE need not be serious ("potentially serious" would perhaps be better).

Second, if the bubbles of gas in the blood-stream are on the venous side of the circulation, then they would constitute a venous gas embolism (rather than arterial). Venous gas emboli are often not dangerous at all, depending on the volume of gas and the rate of delivery.

Third, simply stating that it is bubbles of gas that are implicated does not necessarily meet the requirement that the bolus of gas has been introduced directly into the vascular system from the outside of the body without having entered solution. Bubbles of gas in the vascular system are obviously not uncommon in DCS (or even normal off-gassing [i.e., micro-bubbles]), but these need not not constitute AGE.

Fourth, AGE is not a condition restricted to scuba diving. In fact, most AGE arises out of the context of scuba diving. Such an example would be an escape from submerged vehicle (not uncommon with bad road conditions). AGE can even occur in the absence of decompression, as while somebody is simply minding their own business, only to experience a spontaneous pneumothorax (taller more slender persons tend to be the victims). Other pulmonary trauma-related cases could involve lung biopsy, tumor surgery, etc. Apart from direct pulmonary trauma, AGE is associated with open central lines, renal dialysis...There is also a very bizarre method of induction that I will not share here (Joe might find experimentation too tempting, and none of us needs the law suit). I will, however, be happy to share with Platypusman, as, time and time again, he has proved himself responsible enough to be trusted with such information.

AGE -The pathological introduction of an exogenous bolus of gas into the arterial circulation, as may occur in scuba divers undergoing pulmonary barotrauma in association with the breathing of compressed gas.

Admittedly, this definition does not mesh precisely with AGE, as defined by authorities most concerned with scuba diving and hence decompression (e.g., DAN). I would therefore not be surprised to see a more targeted acronym emerge in the future to deal specifically with decompression-related arterial gas embolism (e.g., DRAGE?).

wgt
01-09-2008, 13:46
*I* nearly ran screaming from yours.

I heard the scream, but I thought it was from Joe experimenting.

MSilvia
01-09-2008, 15:01
RMV - respiratory minute volume... the rate you use gas at a given depth, calculated based on SAC.
EPO - Environmental Police Officer... the guys who check to make sure your lobsters are legal size.

No Misses
01-09-2008, 16:30
You've missed a few :-)

FUBAR -Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition
BOHICA - Bend Over Here It Comes Again
SNAFU - Situation Normal All Fouled Up
Charlie Foxtrot - CF - Cluster F*#!

aggie99
01-09-2008, 20:51

Mask on Forehead / No Mask on Forehead

Search will turn up several threads. :)

yeah, I found it, thanks

aggie99
01-09-2008, 20:57

----

That is a great info, thanks! In the interest of keeping this list short and simple I will keep the definition with the word "potentially" added.

mm_dm
01-10-2008, 13:54
PSD= Public Safety Diver. Don't know if that one's be hit yet.

aggie99
01-12-2008, 16:37
PSD= Public Safety Diver. Don't know if that one's be hit yet.
Not sure what a "Public Safety Diver" is, could you give a definition?....thanks

mm_dm
01-13-2008, 11:17
These are trained water rescue/search and rescue personnel working with the local law and fire departments. Here's a link to a website that has some video footage of them in action.

http://www.psdivermonthly.com/

Crimediver
01-13-2008, 18:30
Or the site to my alma mater: Underwater Criminal Investigators (http://www.ucidiver.com)

mitchy
01-13-2008, 18:41
PM - private message

robjoubert
01-22-2008, 23:32
TANSTAAFL - "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch” which means that a person or a society cannot get something for nothing

Doug B
01-23-2008, 21:51
TLA = Three Letter Acronym.

(smile)

Mycroft
01-24-2008, 10:43
SCR is another abbreviation for "Surface Consumption Rate" so it should be SAC / SCR

hoobascooba
01-24-2008, 17:24

and this is just for clarification... for those who don't speak or understand German :smiley20:

Deutsches Institut für Normung = German Institution for Standardization

like ISO9000, ANSI, and the like.

aggie99
01-24-2008, 18:10

and this is just for clarification... for those who don't speak or understand German :smiley20:

Deutsches Institut für Normung = German Institution for Standardization

like ISO9000, ANSI, and the like.

Good point.....I will add the translation.

TommyB
01-24-2008, 22:36

Chocoholic
01-25-2008, 22:57
SOB same ocean buddy - hate it when I get stuck with these!

IrishSquid
01-27-2008, 20:07

So, WT:smiley35: Why did you use (Foul)ed in FUBAR and SNAFU, and then use F*#! in CF? :smiley2:

pyre24
02-19-2008, 19:53
wow, gald i found this list, now i can understand some of you folks on here.

terrillja
02-19-2008, 19:57
Also offered by ocean reef for their FFM

aggie99
03-27-2008, 17:19
this is getting a little buried so I am sending it back to the top.

navyhmc
03-27-2008, 20:14

Don't forget FIDO - "Forget" it and Drive On

No Misses
03-28-2008, 09:15

So, WT:smiley35: Why did you use (Foul)ed in FUBAR and SNAFU, and then use F*#! in CF? :smiley2:

Because Cluster Fouled just didn't roll off the tongue :smilie39:

Sparkyvett
04-16-2008, 13:24
:smiley20:This is actually a very helpful list. I always wondered what some of those were. Great job on putting this list together!:smiley20:

ChrisC
04-16-2008, 14:14
Thanks for the list! DIR and BP/W had me stumped!

aggie99
05-13-2008, 14:25
Thanks for the list! DIR and BP/W had me stumped!

Your welcome, I created it for this exact reason!

Murloc
05-13-2008, 15:19

DILLIGAF -Does It Look Like I Give A Frac

aggie99
05-13-2008, 16:05

DILLIGAF -Does It Look Like I Give A Frac

Sorry, I have officially lost my ability to edit the post, I might have to copy this to a new thread so I can keep it updated.

CompuDude
05-13-2008, 16:15
PM a mod and they should be able to restore edit access to you.

ratown
05-13-2008, 16:17
Ftw- For The Win!!!!!

spatman
05-13-2008, 16:42
RTFM - Read The F^@%ing Manual

one of the things i often don't do before asking questions about equipment...

aggie99
05-13-2008, 19:06

Is there a MOD in particular that handles edit access or just pick any old one?

CompuDude
05-13-2008, 19:55

Is there a MOD in particular that handles edit access or just pick any old one?

That's a great question for a Mod. :smilie39:

MSilvia
05-14-2008, 13:44
No agency names on the list yet I see. How about these:

AAUS - American Academy of Underwater Sciences
ACDE - Association of Commercial Diving Educators
ADC - Association of Diving Contractors International
ANDI - American Nitrox Divers Incorporated
ANSI - American National Standards Institute
AODC - Association of Offshore Diving Contractors
AUF - Australian Underwater Federation
BSAC - British Sub-Aqua Club
CMAS - Confederation Mondiale des Activitiés Subaquatiques
CSAC - Canadian Sub-Aqua Club
DDRC - Diving Disease Research Center
EATD - European Association of Technical Divers
ERDI - Emergency Response Diving International
FAUI - Federation of Australian Underwater Instructors
FFDS - Federation Francais De Speleologie
GUE - Global Underwater Explorers
HSA - Handicapped Scuba Association
IANTD - International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers
IDI - International Diving Institute
NABS - National Association of Black Scuba Divers
NACD - National Association for Cave Diving
NACDS - National Association of Commercial Diving Specialists
NASDS - National Association of Scuba Diving Schools
NASE - National Academy of Scuba Educators
NAUI - National Association of Underwater Instructors
NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
NSS-CDS - National Speleological Society-Cave Diving Section
PADI - Professional Association of Diving Instructors
PDIC - Professional Diving Instructors Corporation
RSTC - Recreational Scuba Training Committee
SDI - Scuba Diving International
SPUMS - South Pacific Underwater Medical Society
SRS - Sea Research Society
SSAC - Scottish Sub-Aqua Club
SSI - Scuba Schools International
TDI - Technical Diving International
UASR - Underwater Association for Scientific Research
UBMS - Undersea Biomedical Society
USN - United States Navy
USOA - Underwater Society of America
WKPP - Woodsville-Karst Plains Project; cave diving group
YMCA - Young Men's Christian Association

texdiveguy
09-16-2008, 12:30
I decided to start a list of abbreviations and acronyms that you see on these boards for the new arrivals. I figured this could help after seeing posts asking for what they mean. Please feel free to add and I will update the list as necessary and we can even make suggestions for new one's!

AGE-Arterial Gas Embolism: A potentially serious scuba diving injury caused by bubbles of gas in the bloodstream
AL’s- Aluminum Tanks
AL80- Aluminum 80 Tanks
AOW- Advanced Open Water Certification
BC- Buoyancy Compensator
BP/W- Back plate and Wing
BT- Bottom Time
C-card- Scuba Certification Card (NAUI, SSI, PADI etc.)
DAN- Diver Alert Network – Diver Medical Insurance and more
DB - dive buddy
DIN- Deutsches Institut fuer Normung (German Institution for Standardization), an alternate to the yoke-style connector on a scuba tank
DIR- Do(ing) It Right, a style of diving that mixes a specific gear configuration and a style a team diving)
DS - dry suit
FFM - Full face Mask
HID- High Intensity Discharge –referring to dive lights
Hog- Hogarthian setup for BP/W & sometimes a mother-in-law
HP- High Pressure - Refers to both tank pressures above 3000psi and also the ports on a first stage that don't reduce tank pressure
IMO- In my opinion
J&L- Joe and Larry (The owners of Scubatoys)
LDS- Local Dive Shop
LP- Low Pressure -Refers to both tank pressures 3000psi and below and also the ports on a first stage that do reduce tank pressure
MOF- Mask on Forehead
NDS - nondiving spouse
NMOF- No mask on forehead
OOA- Out of Air
OW- Open Water Certification, also known as BOW (Basic Open Water)
PITA- Pain in the a$$
PM - private message
SCR Surface Consumption Rate - same as SAC
SO - Significant Other
SMB- Surface Marker Buoy – Also known as a safety sausage
ST- Scubatoys
STA- Single Tank Adapter, an optional component in a bp/w system
WTB- Want to Buy
WTF!!!- What the F%&*, used when somebody drops hard weights on your foot!!And if it isn't on the list try:
http://lancasterscuba.com/glossary.asp (http://lancasterscuba.com/glossary.asp)

TOD-- Target Operating Depth....differs from MOD, used by technical divers in planning dives.