PDA

View Full Version : Nano Reefs

lucidblue
07-26-2007, 21:15
Anyone have nano reefs? After my dive trip to Cozumel I decided I missed having an aquarium (used to have cichlids). When I started looking into saltwater, I found myself in a whole sub-culture of nano-reef and reef hobbyists. I can't believe how many forums exist for this hobby.

I think it would be a lot of fun to create my own little reef. I'd love to have an underwater world in my house. I have loads of research to do yet and surprise surprise... it's another expensive activity/hobby. Why can't I pick anything cheap? :rolleyes:

the gooch
07-26-2007, 21:31
I would love to have one but I hear they are a lot of maintenance and can get pretty pricey.

Black-Gorrilla
07-26-2007, 21:34
had a 72 gal. bow front tank. 75lbs. of fiji flat rock, tons of soft corals.
i miss looking at that thing. it was so preety.
it does get very costly, chems. for corals, lighting, replacement parts etc.
but it is missed.

loudgonzo
07-27-2007, 07:40
My only aquarium was about 20 years ago, it was a small round looking bowl with pebbles on the bottom and no filter. Had 2 goldfish, and I had to change the water every 2 or 3 days. I sure do not miss it.

the gooch
07-27-2007, 09:18
My only aquarium was about 20 years ago, it was a small round looking bowl with pebbles on the bottom and no filter. Had 2 goldfish, and I had to change the water every 2 or 3 days. I sure do not miss it.

I had the same thing growing up. The novelty lasted about two weeks for me and then little Butch and Charlie had to take a trip down the city pipes.

tx.lakerat
07-27-2007, 09:22
I've had tanks on and off... and yes they are pretty... they are ALOT of work and the costs can add up very quickly..

WaterRat
07-27-2007, 09:35
I've got a JBJ 12 gallon nano and it's not too hard to take care of. However I have had to battle bouts of hair algea. It's pretty sweet though. Right now I have a clown, cleaner shrimp, neon blue goby, torch coral, candy cane coral, green star polyps and a healthy clean up crew of snails.

Ron

JahJahwarrior
07-27-2007, 10:04
Ever seen the picture of the 2nd stage freeflowing just a tad, hung in a fish tank? The caption was something like "Well the fish sure love my 40% nitrox!" :) Nifty way to put oxygen in the water without a filter system.

I had a boss who supposedly had a very nice salt water fish tank. I could see myself having one one day, but it would be elaborate and ornate....it would be huge, and in an unusual shape or something....but that's only if I get rich somehow......if I don't get rich, I'll have to settle with a ghetto rigged hot tub in the back of my truck. Not sure which would be more impressive to the gal's.....

Foo2
07-27-2007, 11:22
if I don't get rich, I'll have to settle with a ghetto rigged hot tub in the back of my truck. Not sure which would be more impressive to the gal's.....

I know that I would be impressed with a ghetto rigged hot tub! I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off of you! ;)

Foo2

JahJahwarrior
07-27-2007, 11:55
I know that I would be impressed with a ghetto rigged hot tub! I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off of you! ;)

Foo2

Leaf springs won't handle it right now, but it's in the back of my mind :) What if we make it a salt water hot tub, toss in Nemo and call it even? ;)

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 12:03
thats something i wanna see.

Foo2
07-27-2007, 12:42
Leaf springs won't handle it right now, but it's in the back of my mind :) What if we make it a salt water hot tub, toss in Nemo and call it even? ;)

Only if I can bring my mask & snorkle! ;)

JahJahwarrior
07-27-2007, 12:46
as long as you aren't a MOFer. :)

Foo2
07-27-2007, 13:04
as long as you aren't a MOFer. :)

??? Eh???

nferra2
08-07-2007, 00:25
If you go for a reef tank, I would get atleast 75-90 gallons. I have 120 gallon reef, and it is so much easier to maitain than a smaller tank. Also, small tanks get crowded out quickly. I can by a coral and let it grow to a nice size ( and frag it for LFS credit and to trade, and maybe one day to repopulate natural reefs) and it looks much more natural (nothing near a real reef though)

DirtyWaterIL
08-07-2007, 00:29
I used to work at a pet store in high school and i set up a nice reef tank in my bedroom. It wasnt bad when I was doign that kind of stuff all day anyways but i would never do it again. It is a very delicate and expensive thing you are dealing with and it is so easy to destroy them. Although if you want to take the time and effort to do it, go ahead some of them are very amazing.

94GTStang
08-07-2007, 00:43
I had a beta fish for two years... that was the last tank I will have for a very long time. Every week I was cleaning that poor fish tank out.

Though I always thought having a salt water aquarium would rock though. The one thing I love and I can't have :(

thesmoothdome
08-07-2007, 01:05
I had true vu custom me a 90 gallon tank when I first started diving. Had an internal prefilter and extra thick glass on the top to prevent warping from the lights. A friend in the business built my wet/dry and used to get me fish and rock at cost. I have no idea what I was thinking. Between my 1st wife and myself, we were lucky to have enough money to buy food at the end of the month, but those fishies sure were pretty and credit card debt didn't seem so bad at 23 years old. Ahh..to be young and stupid! I miss my tank.

Phestr
08-07-2007, 01:07
I have turtles, which are hard enough to maintain. I did see a sweet set up the the LFS. 5 black jellyfish in a 5 gallon tank. Wicked circular current, and nothing else. So here are these things just going in circle. It was hypnotic.

A nanoreef would be awsome, though. Can someone post a list of bare essentials to get it going?

thesmoothdome
08-07-2007, 01:31
I have turtles, which are hard enough to maintain. I did see a sweet set up the the LFS. 5 black jellyfish in a 5 gallon tank. Wicked circular current, and nothing else. So here are these things just going in circle. It was hypnotic.

A nanoreef would be awsome, though. Can someone post a list of bare essentials to get it going?

Just off the top of my head:

tank (preferably acrylic because glass has seams and can leak - boy did that suck)
Metal Halide lights
compact flourencent lighting
wet/dry filtration
protein skimmer
thermometer
fish
rock

I think that's all you need to get started.

kingfish
08-07-2007, 06:52
I have kept marine aquariums for 7 or so years and while they are a little expensive they are very rewarding to keep.

Like anything, you can spend alot of money on it or go fairly cheap.
The maintenence is something that can take alot of time, or a little depending on the setup you have and the requirements of the specimens kept.

In a nano tank you can go for a few soft corals and a couple of small hardy fish and the maintenence would be as simple as freshwater top off and a small water change every few weeks.

One of the main pieces of advice i can give is to research before you buy.
Research the requirements of what you want to keep and the setup needed to keep them.

There are some great forums to learn from and plenty of books.
If you would like some help just pm me and i can point you in the direction of some good books.

Here are some links to help if you go ahead with it.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php?s=

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB2/index.php

Jason.

Black-Gorrilla
08-07-2007, 13:58
If you go for a reef tank, I would get atleast 75-90 gallons. I have 120 gallon reef, and it is so much easier to maitain than a smaller tank. Also, small tanks get crowded out quickly. I can by a coral and let it grow to a nice size ( and frag it for LFS credit and to trade, and maybe one day to repopulate natural reefs) and it looks much more natural (nothing near a real reef though)

that is so true.
the bigger the tank, the more forgiving it is. it takes more for levels to be off with a lot of water, such as 90 gal+filter, that 20 gal. with a hanging filter.
i had plans for a custom 265-300 gal. tank.
it was gonna be shallow, and long and deep (back deep...not depth)
so that way i could keep less lighting.

Black-Gorrilla
08-07-2007, 14:01

Just off the top of my head:

tank (preferably acrylic because glass has seams and can leak - boy did that suck)
Metal Halide lights
compact flourencent lighting
wet/dry filtration
protein skimmer
thermometer
fish
rock

I think that's all you need to get started.

pump, sand (live) and if you run metal halides, unless it's a huge tank, u will need a chiller for sure... cause after about 71* stuff's not happy.

lawhorns04
08-09-2007, 15:50
Both of those sites are tremendous sources of info for SW tanks. I started one up about a year and a half ago to get my girlfriend interested in diving. She was scared until she saw all of the cool stuff that you can put in the tank. Once she saw it, he fear disappeared.

I try to purchase things that propagate easily or that members of my local reef group grow in their tanks. It's really not that expensive of a hobby if you take your time and research. The saying goes, "nothing good ever happens fast" in that hobby.

I have kept marine aquariums for 7 or so years and while they are a little expensive they are very rewarding to keep.

Like anything, you can spend alot of money on it or go fairly cheap.
The maintenence is something that can take alot of time, or a little depending on the setup you have and the requirements of the specimens kept.

In a nano tank you can go for a few soft corals and a couple of small hardy fish and the maintenence would be as simple as freshwater top off and a small water change every few weeks.

One of the main pieces of advice i can give is to research before you buy.
Research the requirements of what you want to keep and the setup needed to keep them.

There are some great forums to learn from and plenty of books.
If you would like some help just pm me and i can point you in the direction of some good books.

Here are some links to help if you go ahead with it.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php?s=

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB2/index.php

Jason.

nferra2
08-09-2007, 16:11
I run Halide, No chiller, in South Louisiana. I just have a properly vented hood to house them in. Oh, and I keep my tank about 79*-81* and everything is happy. The best thing you can find in this hobby is a good LFS, the second is a good Reefclub. The specific brands and types of equiptment don't matter as much, as long as you have good flow, good light, and tons of live rock, you will have a maintainable reef enviroment. Refugiums, skimmers, Calcium Reactors, etc. just make things smoother and easier (sometimes).