PDA

View Full Version : What Makes a Good Buddy?

snagel
01-08-2008, 17:35
I was asked the other day, "What makes a good buddy?" obviously referring to diving. This kinda caught me off guard because the person asking was not a diver. I was a little suprised that she could ask such a good question without having any experience in diving. Well, I thought about it and here was my answer.

First, a good buddy doesn't ask or imply that you go beyond what you feel comfortable with. They understand and are familiar with what is "normal" for you during the dive. If you go outside of this "normal" than they immediately know something is wrong. They are there watching you and you watching them. They don't run away. They are supportive. They understand how to tell you that you have done a bonehead thing when needed without being condensending. They don't give you any grief if you end a dive early or don't attempt a dive - they simply understand that you are not feeling it and it is best to end or not start the dive - no questions asked. They are fun loving, free spirited and enjoy the sport. They don't have anything to prove and don't expect you to prove anything either. They have good skills and respect the sport. They ensure that they check your equipment prior to jumping in and expect the same from you.

Did I cover about everything or did I miss something?

S. Nagel

kancho
01-08-2008, 18:24
A good buddy is someone you can count on. Not cancell at the last minute. Who is aware of his surroundings and buddy. If there is a problem wh will speak up.

Someone who maintains their dive plan with little to no deviation unless conferred with buddy. Someone who knows his buoyancy.. I am still getting used to mine since I switched to a dry suit..

MConnelly2
01-08-2008, 19:05
They never forget their shellfish permit. And help shuck. Even better, bring beer and help shuck. And share my concept of a 'level bushel' ;)

Tom A
01-08-2008, 20:43
a good buddy is someone you can depend on an has your back

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
01-09-2008, 11:48
I'm still looking for a good buddy. The guy I usually dive with is a great diver but not a good buddy. I'd rather dive with someone with less skill who is more reliable in showing up for dives and sticking to the plan during the dives.

snagel
01-09-2008, 17:19
Ouch...sounds like he/she let you down once or twice. Hope he/she doesn't subscribe to the forum.

S. Nagel

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
01-09-2008, 19:02
Re-reading my post it does sound harsh. Opps. I don't think he subscribes. I guess my point is that a good buddy is reliable in the water and on the surface. He doesn't stand you up and is not an SOB (Same Ocean Buddy) unless that is the plan.

cutter77
01-09-2008, 20:18
A good buddy shares his air miles with you.

Daved
01-09-2008, 20:21
A good buddy wins the lottery and shares it with you!

whse56
01-09-2008, 20:47
Snagel, sounds like you listed the perfect dive buddy. Something we should all strive to be.

divingchef
01-09-2008, 20:49
a real good buddy is on ewho pays for the drinks when you get back to the marina!

snagel
01-09-2008, 21:34
Amen.....

snagel
01-11-2008, 19:09
I guess I have been pretty lucky...cause, my buddies pretty much live up to what I posted originally. The trick is my dive buddies are usually my brother and sister-in-law. My wife would kick their butts if they let anything happen to me.

S. Nagel

jwdizney
01-11-2008, 19:19
your original post was well spoken, snagel! :smiley32::smiley32:
of course, there's some nice "buddy-bonuses" mentioned too!:smiley36: