PDA

View Full Version : Jetties?

easyrider003
01-08-2008, 18:33
Just wondering if anyone could tell me how deep the jetties are when at high tide? And also, this may be a stupid question, but are the jetties located at St. Andrews State Park? I was there about 12 years ago and noticed some people were at the park diving. Just wondering if this is the same thing

Dive-aholic
01-08-2008, 18:49
It depends on where along the jetties you are. First, the jetties are in the park. Enter at the gate and head to the beach. You'll find a ramada, dive shop, etc. On the beach side of the jetties, the deepest you'll get is about 5' or so. Crossing over at the low area of the jetty will put you in about 40' of water. Head to the left (north) and you'll quickly find it sloping up and eventually pushing you to the surface. Head to the right and you'll get about 70' within a reasonable swimming distant. I haven't gone straight out across the jetty. Nothing but sand out there and always too much traffic in the channel when I'm there.

FishFood
01-08-2008, 19:12
As Dive-aholic said, 70ft on the west side. The east side (across the channel) bottoms out at 40ft. The shell Island Shuttle will take you across for $20 a person (in season of course) not much to see over there, but that seems to be where the Sting Ray hang out. Good size ray too! The boat captian will usually let you do a giant stride at the point before dropping the snorklers off. (be sure a leave a tip for that)

easyrider003
01-08-2008, 20:35
Probably another stupid question but what all is there to see at the jetties besides marine life? Any wrecks or other structures out there? I know it was mentioned that when you go straight out from the jetties there is nothing but sand, just wondering what else was out there.

FishFood
01-08-2008, 21:37
Probably another stupid question but what all is there to see at the jetties besides marine life? Any wrecks or other structures out there? I know it was mentioned that when you go straight out from the jetties there is nothing but sand, just wondering what else was out there.

No. THe jetties are just barriers helping to keep the channel open. Would defeat the purpose to have wrecks in the channel :smiley36:

The jetties probably have the most life/growth of anything near Panama City. Plus, it costs just $5!

Diving Nutz - St Andrews - Main Gallery (http://divingnutz.com/standrewsgallery.htm)

http://www.flyingbeachboat.com/images/Rules-StAndrewsStateParkJetty.jpg

moosicman
01-08-2008, 22:11
Any shark activity?? :):)

Puffer Fish
01-08-2008, 22:17
Not in any major way... but you could try chumming and see what happens.

I have heard of people seeing a rare shark there, and a barricuda, but don't think it is common. But lots of little stuff to see.

FishFood
01-08-2008, 22:19

I get the feeling you have a thing with sharks... :smiley2:

There's the occasional nurse shark. That's all ive seen/heard about.

moosicman
01-08-2008, 22:31
Yeah I'm a shark whore....but I don't think I want them around bad enough to chum for them. LOL

Puffer Fish
01-08-2008, 22:35
Yeah I'm a shark whore....but I don't think I want them around bad enough to chum for them. LOL
The liberty ship off Destin has several large ones living around it....just Bull's, but at least real sharks.

Dive-aholic
01-09-2008, 18:26
I've heard of there being sharks at the jetties. Personally, I haven't seen any there. I don't really see why they would be there other than to get in and out of the bay, but don't see why they would want to.

UCFKnightDiver
01-09-2008, 19:05
someon needs to draw me a picture because I for the life of me cannto picture what your talking about and I go to the Cut and shell island a fair amount out of St andrews but not since I got certified which might be why

FishFood
01-09-2008, 19:44
someon needs to draw me a picture because I for the life of me cannto picture what your talking about and I go to the Cut and shell island a fair amount out of St andrews but not since I got certified which might be why

And that translates into....? :smiley29: