PDA

View Full Version : First time in Hawaii

Suther2136
01-08-2008, 19:18
Hey I'm looking for any info you have. Need dive info, tours, shore etc. Also looking for places to stay (any recommendations for hotels, B&B's off the beaten path), places to eat, stuff to do.

BuzzGA
01-08-2008, 20:28
Where are you going in Hawaii and when?

DiverBoy100
01-09-2008, 04:12
if you want to stay away from the tourist go to Kona on the Big Island more laid back and the best diving in Hawaii

Zenagirl
01-09-2008, 07:51
We need to know which island you're going to before we can offer any suggestions.

Suther2136
01-09-2008, 13:17
I haven't gotten that far yet, sorry. The few must do things that I know of are the volcano, the observatory & Pearl Harbor. After that it's all new to me so I really am open to suggestion. My wife is not a diver :( or really a beach person, so finding other off-beat things to do and see would be great. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Bigg_Budd
01-09-2008, 15:12
Kauai. That's easy livin' man. Great diving, and plenty to do topside as well. Use Bubbles Below with Linda Marsh. Great dive op. We stayed in Princeville only cuz we had a timeshare. The best diving is on the South side of the island, out of Port Arthur near Pouipu.

Waimea Canyon is awesome, great helo rides, awesome beaches, and the Napali Coast is amazing. Great hiking trail there as well...

Damselfish
01-09-2008, 15:56
I haven't gotten that far yet, sorry. The few must do things that I know of are the volcano, the observatory & Pearl Harbor. After that it's all new to me so I really am open to suggestion. My wife is not a diver :( or really a beach person, so finding other off-beat things to do and see would be great. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
well, the volcano and observatory are on the Big Island and Pearl Harbor is on Oahu. How long are you going for total?

Zenagirl
01-09-2008, 15:58
Well, if you want to see the volcano, the observatory, and Pearl Harbor, you'll have to spend time both on Oahu and the Big Island. The Big Island sounds like it would probably appeal to your more adventurous spirit, and provide you with some great diving (and snorkeling) as well.

divingchef
01-09-2008, 16:02
What do you want out of your hawaii experience? There is everything from EXTREMELY ECO vacation.....to EXTREMELY ICKY TOURIST experience........I lived in Kona for a while, so Im very partial to big island.....

mwhities
01-09-2008, 16:02
Home Page (http://www.alohashoredivers.com/)

Tell him Big One-Armed Mike sent ya.

Suther2136
01-09-2008, 20:42
well, the volcano and observatory are on the Big Island and Pearl Harbor is on Oahu. How long are you going for total?

I would guess a week to 10 days, but that's a guess. My wife is a runner, so cool trails with great scenery are a must. We like to hike and explore, waterfalls would be cool, the lava fields or the flow tubes would also be cool.

Keep the ideas coming this is sounding really great. I do plan to dive 3-4 mornings and maybe one night dive.:smiley20:

scubajane
01-11-2008, 21:55
When you are on Oahu for pearl harbor you need to take the trip out to the memorial. then spend a day at aloha stadium for the 'flea market' It's there 1 or 2 days a week. you can get all your souvenirs there. coffee to mumu s and wind chimes. almost anything!!
then go the the paradise cove luau!! it is a large luau but you get to play Hawaiian games and win prizes and have a great meal and great music and show! it's a 'must see'
also to get a taste of hawaiian music, get some of IZ's cd's he is about 400 lbs and plays the ukelele. an odd sight but what a beautiful voice. he has about 5 cd's and passed away about 10 years ago. great music. his name is Israel K-A and then about 20 more letters. go to amazon.com and type in IZ and his stuff comes up
aloha

Zenagirl
01-12-2008, 07:45
Great recommendations ScubaJane!! I love IZ's music and his voice is just beautiful and peaceful to listen to. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago and is no longer with us. :(

scubajane
01-14-2008, 18:34
IZ sings 'over the rainbow' and it has been used in about 10 different places. it was used in the TV show ER when Dr. Mark Green died, in several commercials and several movies.
his last name is Kamakawiwo'ole I have no idea how to pronounce it.
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:MgNVaxSYehoI6M:store.mountainapplecom pany.com/images/item_images/BBCD-5907.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://store.mountainapplecompany.com/images/item_images/BBCD-5907.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mountainapplecompany.com/IZ.aspx&h=462&w=450&sz=44&tbnid=MgNVaxSYehoI6M:&tbnh=128&tbnw=125&prev=/images%3Fq%3Diz%2Bphoto%26um%3D1&start=2&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=2) here is a photo. large man, beautiful voice , GREAT sense of humor!! sorely missed

Suther2136
01-22-2008, 16:31
Thanks guys....more ideas please...still in the planning stages.

BuzzGA
01-22-2008, 18:18
We had a great time on Oahu. Make sure to hit the shrimp trucks up on the North Shore one day for lunch and there is a free hula show every Thursday night on the beach in Waikiki not far from Duke's (famous surf bar...go have an expensive drink and soak up the atmosphere) and of course the diving is great, let us know if you want some suggestions on that.

Suther2136
01-25-2008, 18:53
I'll take all I can get on all of it. The local haunts sound great, nothing like townie places for color.

Thanks all...more , more, more

ScubaGir1
01-26-2008, 23:37
I stayed in Maui for two weeks. We did the "bike down the volcano" bike tour of Haleakala. Then we hiked to the waterfalls, drove the the "road to Hana" and saw the seven sacred cesspools, went diving at the island off the coast: Molokini. It was an awesome trip. We also went to a Luau and went para sailing. :D

Gombessa
01-26-2008, 23:47
For nature activities, I'd say Maui or the Big Island may be better, but you won't be wanting for anything anywhere in Hawaii in 7-10 days!

If you're in Oahu, dive the wrecks off Waikiki. For Maui/Kona, there are some great manta ray feeding/cleaning dives.

Jeff88
01-27-2008, 16:12
Has anyone done the " famous " Manta Ray night dive in Kona ? Do you think this is a good dive for newly certified divers ? Any recomendations on which outfitters to AVOID ?

Damselfish
01-27-2008, 16:27
Sure, it's an easy dive, not too deep and you just sit there, pretty much. Might be best if it's not your very first night dive, if there's a lot of mantas it can get a little crazy down there, plus you wouldn't want to get freaked out by the resident eel sneaking into your BC in the dark. ;)

Note that sometimes you get lucky and sometimes there's no mantas. There were tons the night we did it last August. My husband tried it another time a couple years before when he was there himself and got skunked.

Travelnsj
01-27-2008, 18:15
I have dove in Oahu and Maui.....I would not go back to either although Maui is a nice Island. In my top 5 dives is the Manta dive in Kona. Done that about 15 times or more. This last August we had 10 Mantas come in...great dive. Rest of the diving is OK, great vis, not much Marine life...but easy diving. There are many things to do with the Volcano's etc on the big Island. Also may places to stay....My favorite is the Orchid but can be pricey you can stay in Kona at King Kams which is OK and reasonable. Need any other info let me know.

Suther2136
02-06-2008, 21:22
I have dove in Oahu and Maui.....I would not go back to either although Maui is a nice Island. In my top 5 dives is the Manta dive in Kona. Done that about 15 times or more. This last August we had 10 Mantas come in...great dive. Rest of the diving is OK, great vis, not much Marine life...but easy diving. There are many things to do with the Volcano's etc on the big Island. Also may places to stay....My favorite is the Orchid but can be pricey you can stay in Kona at King Kams which is OK and reasonable. Need any other info let me know.

If you know neat places to stay that would be great. We don't need five star just a decent place. Rather spend the money doing stuff instead of sleeping. Thanks

Travelnsj
02-06-2008, 22:46
If you know neat places to stay that would be great. We don't need five star just a decent place. Rather spend the money doing stuff instead of sleeping. Thanks

I've stayed at King Kams (Kamamaiki major SP...goggle it) and the Seaside...about 2+ stars nothing fancy. There are other places in Kona like I think it is called uncle Billys and other cheap places....but they are dumps. I've also stayed at the Orchid (my fav), Sheration and the Hilton they were great but I hate walking thru the lobby after a day of diving...LOL...let me know if you need anything else.

Suther2136
02-07-2008, 18:06
Thanks for the info!

scubajane
04-13-2008, 15:23
when you dive anywhere in Hawaii you have to be careful about what else you do. there are lots of places above 2000 ft that would be off limits for 24 hours after a dive. like the Haleakala crater at 10,000+ ft and some zip lines at 4,000ft you may need to book things to do prior to arriving at the islands because they fill up quickly. Then again since Aloha airlines and ATA airlines both went belly up there may be fewer people on the islands.
We took the road to Hana again and there was a huge difference since 2003!! the trees were brown and the waterfalls were small. They had been in a very dry period BUT some of the locals say that the water sometimes gets diverted for the golf courses. Boo Hiss.

seand
04-13-2008, 15:34

For just diving I would go somewhere else but the combination of diving and topside things makes Hawaii stand out. Did you know you can do a beach dive site on Maui called Ukumenhame which is around mile marker 12 and find Mantas out there.. My buddy and I were diving with his X Scooters and we saw 5 of them that day.. I have heard of more than 12 being seen...

Here's a video I took:

Ukumehame Manta Dive : Online Video | Veoh Video Network (http://www.veoh.com/videos/v63202902xwPzkHT?searchId=7135187346319612928&rank=6)

Sean

Reg
04-14-2008, 06:28
What is the best time of the year to dive in Hawaii for good VIS and relatively low tourists? : )

seand
04-14-2008, 16:27
The vis is usually good all year. I think the most magical time to be in Hawaii is during the whale season from Dec - April... Pretty much late feb and early march are the peek times for whales... If you don't go during a holiday like Christmas, Halloween(it gets crazy in Lahaina), Spring Break or Summer you should have a non-peak time... It can get really busy otherwise and you should make boat reservations early since they all get booked up...

Sean

fkostyun
04-14-2008, 17:36
I'm just about to head off the the Big Island myself - (May 3rd through the 10th - oahu afterwords) and have a variety of activities booked - diving early in the week, with volcanos, atv ride, later in the week.

ChrisA
04-14-2008, 18:17
well, the volcano and observatory are on the Big Island and Pearl Harbor is on Oahu. How long are you going for total?That's not much of an issue "everyone" flys into Oahu and then takes a short flight to some other island. So yo'd be at least passing through Oahu twice and if you plan a day there can see Pearl Harbor as either ther first or last thing on your trip.

One of the things that surprized me was that even without a guide book and knowing nothing. You can stop along any sretch of beach and put on your snorkle and mask and have quite a lot to see. Even if your wife can't swim anyone can stnd in waist deep water and look down with a mask, It is not uncommon to have little fish come right up to your feet.

The other thing you should do is take your time. don't load up your schedule. I got set straight by some locals in kaui. What you have to do is slow down, talk to people, don't try to go to 15 places in one day.

seand
04-16-2008, 17:45
I have always flown straight to Maui! A guide book would be nice. Definitely enjoy your stay!

Sean

coloradopomi
01-02-2009, 14:39
Maui or the Big Island. I lived on Oahu for three years and while Pearl Harbor is worth the visit you will probably enjoy the other two and possibly Kaui more. They have lots to offer from the ocean to the mountains.

chilly willy
02-03-2009, 13:43
Has anyone done the " famous " Manta Ray night dive in Kona ? Do you think this is a good dive for newly certified divers ? Any recomendations on which outfitters to AVOID ?

The Manta dive is the most awsome dive you can do in Kona, I go with Kona Honu Divers, they are the most laid back and enjoyable boat in Kona. You can do 1 or 2 tank dives with the first one during daylight of the general area which is called garden eel cove and manta heaven at night. Even if you are a newbie this is a must do, one of the top ten rated dives in the world. For a small idea of what to expect goto konahonudivers.com then the manta link where you will see a vidoe clip of the dive.

PhD4JC
04-17-2009, 12:10
Ditto Kauai
But I am a naturalist, so I like it slow and overflowing with nature.
Wonderful waterfalls, forests and diving on Kauai, and a short (but bumpy) trip to Ni'ihau

Kauai. That's easy livin' man. Great diving, and plenty to do topside as well. Use Bubbles Below with Linda Marsh. Great dive op. We stayed in Princeville only cuz we had a timeshare. The best diving is on the South side of the island, out of Port Arthur near Pouipu.

Waimea Canyon is awesome, great helo rides, awesome beaches, and the Napali Coast is amazing. Great hiking trail there as well...

rhydive11
04-19-2009, 16:14
I think the BI has the best diving...but I live here, so i am very biased. Try Waikoloa divers (the go out of A-bay in Waikoloa) and Kohala Divers (in Kawaihae) both on the Big Island, both great dive charters. Shore diving is good here too...

annaroo
05-29-2009, 03:04
i can give you info if you're gong to oahu, otherwise, i know nothing