PDA

View Full Version : Bennett Spring

Scubafishunt
01-08-2008, 20:45
Hey guys, I was wandering if anyone could tell me if there is any place to get air fills around the bennett spring or Lebanon area. We have a big group of us from Bartlesville, Oklahoma that will be diving 1/12-13/08 and 1/19/08 (there was so many of us we had to split up into two groups). I was also wandering if anyone knew how many cubic feet per second it took to keep from getting into the popcorn room. I know when it was around 75 or so there was no problem getting down but with all the rain I have noticed on the hydrograph via internet we could have problems even by the end of this week. So if anyone is more aware of this than I am I would really appreciate theyre info.

snagel
01-08-2008, 20:55
I don't know of any place to get air around Bennett Springs. The closest city is Lebanon, MO. I've never heard of a dive shop in Lebanon, but I'm not all that familiar with the city. There is a dive shop in Sedalia, MO that has air, but its over an hours drive north. They are open until 2:00 on Sat, closed on Sun. Quail Run around Rolla has air, but I'm not sure if they are open this time of year. I'd almost bet there is a dive shop in Rolla, but I don't know. The next closest that I'm aware of is in Springfield. There are a couple dives shops there.

I dove the spring a couple weeks ago and there wasn't a problem at all getting to the room. The current wasn't bad at all, the only issue was if you remained still you could fill yourself being pushed a little. Wasn't hard at all.

S. Nagel

Scubafishunt
01-08-2008, 21:35
Hey thanks for the info, we have plenty of tanks and probaly wont need air fills but you never know. Im just a little worried about the flow when I checked earlier today it was about 1100 cfs but has gone down considerbly since so hope fully it will ok. Im actually in the group thats going the 19th so I should surely be alright then. But like I said earlier some of my other dive buddies will goind this weekend.

snagel
01-09-2008, 17:37
If what you are looking at has the history, I was there on 12/29. The flow was very good for diving. As I said, once at depth, you really didn't notice it.

If you can find out what the flow was for 12/29, this will give some comparison.

S. Nagel

Scubafishunt
01-10-2008, 06:37
On the 29th it was 77 cfs, but right now it is 376 cfs and the state park already canceled this weekend and said that the current would be too strong and we will need about 150 cfs for about a week for the vis is even worth diving. So maybe next weekend will workout for us. We went about 3 or 4 years ago and the current was just strong enough to where we was crawling down on hands and knees and only made it to about 65 ft. and to turn around and come out.

snagel
01-10-2008, 17:54
Yea, I'd say that if the current was flowing 5x as strong as it was for us on the 29th, it might be a little difficult to dive.

Interesting.

S. Nagel

cummings66
01-10-2008, 19:04
Yup, but since all the dates for the rest of the season are taken it doesn't affect me very much. I know the cavers have several dates taken and hopefully it will work out for them, but the park thinks the vis will not be pretty from here on out.

I think we had the best and hope you have a good dive when you get there.

beperkins
10-14-2008, 13:22
I know this post comes late, but to answer the OP the closest place to get air fills is Waynesville MO at Odyssey Scuba right next to the courthouse. Next closest is Springfield with multiple options. I live in Lebanon and wish that there were closer air.

BillS
10-15-2008, 19:56
No dive shop in Rolla.

beperkins
10-17-2008, 08:28
Quail Run Doesn't even have fills anymore. Owner is in nasty divorce I think.