PDA

View Full Version : How can I complain quietly?

cudachaser
01-08-2008, 21:55
Got this banner asking why I haven't posted...I was insulted by a member...but rather not air the dirty laundry

NitroWill
01-08-2008, 22:15
Send a PM to Larry if you feel it needs to be addressed http://forum.scubatoys.com/members/scubatoys-larry.html

Hope you don't let one member spoil this nice member and stay with us!

Puffer Fish
01-08-2008, 22:26
Got this banner asking why I haven't posted...I was insulted by a member...but rather not air the dirty laundry
I hope that you have said something to the member....via pm. Sometimes people do things without realizing the impact. Well, I hope that is what happened.

Sadly, in a cases like this, the good people leave and the not so good stay... thanks for at least starting this thread.

DollFin
01-08-2008, 23:02
I might be new here, but I've been on lots of different message boards and personality conflicts are as much a fact of life on line as they are in the real world. More-so in some ways, as emotion and intent does not translate very well through a typed message. I've seen many cases (and even been involved in a few on both sides of the coin) where something was said that was not meant to be hurtful, and in fact may even have been meant to be a light-hearted affectionate comment, but ended up unintentionally hurting someone's feelings. Unfortunately, the other extreme can also be the case as anonymity can make people think they have license to say deliberately hurtful things they would never say in the real world. Whatever the case, your not wanting to air anyone's dirty laundry here on the board says something good about you and I hope won't let one conflict keep you away. I don't know if a polite PM to the person in question letting them know why what they said hurt you would help or not, but it's something to consider. From the few weeks I've been here so far, the good does seem to by-far outweigh the bad.

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 23:34

If it's something you feel should be brought to the management's attention, use the "Report Post" function by clicking the little triangle icon (with the exclamation point) in the lower left corner of the offending post. It will send a message directly (and discretely) to the head honchos to review.

The "Why haven't you posted?" banner is an automatic function of the board. Anyone who has not posted in x days gets it, depending on the settings chosen by the administrator.

At least, that's how it is on other boards. Oddly, I've never seen one on this board. ;)

Zenagirl
01-09-2008, 07:27
Hey Cuda, don't let one person's careless post drive you away! Definitely either PM them or Larry and make sure your feelings are known.

If it was me, I'm soooo sorry and won't do it again. ;)

fireflock
01-09-2008, 07:37
Is it that big a deal if someone you don't know and has never met you wrote something that you found offensive?

I'm just curious. I'm all for civility in public discourse; there's no excuse for being rude. At the same time, almost everyone reading understands that message board insults say more about the person doing the insulting than the person who was insulted.

FOUNDATIONER
01-09-2008, 08:47
That's a quote from some movie, I can't remember which.
But here is good advice from the bible:

II Corinthians 11:19 For ye suffer fools gladly, seeing ye yourselves are wise.

(I don't thump the bible, but I do read it from time to time:smiley20:)

mwhities
01-09-2008, 08:49
Feel free to PM me as well.

LCFrigon
01-09-2008, 10:13
I am dumb....I read this post thinking someone was offended by receiving the banner or why haven't you posted :) Wasn't till I got down to the post that said that was an automatic send by the site before i realized that the insult was something else. Couldn't for the life of me figure out what was so insulting over asking why someone hadn't posted :) Like I said..I'm dumb

Gombessa
01-14-2008, 13:37
I am dumb....I read this post thinking someone was offended by receiving the banner or why haven't you posted

I thought the same thing. So we're both dumb! I can understand if that doesn't make you feel better :)

Lone Frogman
01-15-2008, 10:17

You just did. The heck with them.

team2tank
01-15-2008, 11:49
don't keep it in its not healthy, supressed anger....not good, take it up with the person, and resolve it like adults, or don't be sensitive its only a forum, go dive it cures all

navyhmc
01-15-2008, 20:34
But can I complain somewhat loudly about cudachaser not posting? I mean, I have enjoyed his posts and would like to have him post more.

Of course I could say that about most ST'ers.

Gombessa
01-16-2008, 00:53
We should all feel free to air dirty laundry in this thread.

navyhmc
01-16-2008, 01:44
We should all feel free to air dirty laundry in this thread.

Well, my little brother has a pair of 20 year old underwear......:smiley11: :D

TxScubaBear
01-16-2008, 07:16
Well, my little brother has a pair of 20 year old underwear......:smiley11: :D

DOH!!!:smiley34:

Gombessa
01-16-2008, 11:15
I'd be all the more concerned if your little brother is less than 20 years old!