PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget to take your vitamins before you dive. New Study

thor
01-09-2008, 08:05
Researchers have found that a single scuba air dive (30 meters depth for 30 minutes) is enough to induce mild changes in cardiac function and a significant decrease in endothelial function. Whether these effects are long-term, and thus pose serious threat to diversí health, is not yet certain.

However a new study, published in The Journal of Physiology, shows that acute oral intake of largely accepted antioxidants Vitamin C and E prior to a scuba dive can reduce alterations in cardiovascular function, particularly acute endothelial dysfunction. Authors suggest that pre-dive intake of antioxidant vitamins may prevent some of the negative effects of diving on vascular function.

Can antioxidants protect scuba divers? (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-01/bpl-cap013007.php)

Take Your Vitamins Before Scuba Diving (http://www.eatingfabulous.com/take-your-vitamins-before-scuba-diving)

or for the those who want to read the complete article.
The effects of acute oral antioxidants on diving-induced alterations in human cardiovascular function -- Obad et al. 578 (3): 859 -- The Journal of Physiology Online (http://jp.physoc.org/cgi/content/full/578/3/859)

Tom A
01-09-2008, 08:27
never heard that before

divingyogini
01-09-2008, 10:27
Interesting, but the one flaw I see in the study is that for 4 weeks prior to the experiment the divers were not taking any vitamin supplements.

I'm wondering what the results would be for people who take a daily multivitamin, which of course includes C and E and if there is any different between taking an additional dose of antioxidant specific vitamins versus just the regular multivitamin.

And I also want to know their diet, such as how many oranges and avocados do they get on a regular basis.

Still, it's good advice for people to eat balanced diets, especially while traveling.

kancho
01-09-2008, 10:35
Interesting. I guess that is good to know. Though I already take Vit C supplements.. V

SarahBella
01-09-2008, 12:12
Wow, that is interesting. Can't wait to show my SO...he is dead set against taking them.

setesh
01-09-2008, 12:19
C & E are known to have this affect with normal forms of strenuous exercise, so I think it only follows that their effect on a diving body would be somewhat similar. At the very least they should help manage free radical production.

cheebaweebie
01-09-2008, 12:37
I actually have a heart murmer (diagnosed last year) and my doc (cardiologist) told me that vitiman C is really good before and between dives.
I do now take lots of vitimans... Nothing will keep me from diving ;-)
even though I do now get annual checks ups

cutter77
01-16-2008, 23:36
I actually have a heart murmer (diagnosed last year) and my doc (cardiologist) told me that vitiman C is really good before and between dives.
I do now take lots of vitimans... Nothing will keep me from diving ;-)
even though I do now get annual checks ups

Thanks for the info...I passed it on to my dive buddy who has a heart murmur.

Lone Frogman
01-17-2008, 04:17
30 meters for 30 minutes on air will put you into a deco dive.

BuzzGA
01-17-2008, 19:05
Interesting stuff...when I see my Dr for the annual check...I'll pass the study along to him

scubajane
01-18-2008, 16:54
I take vitamins in the morning when I'm dry. I take them in the evening when I dive. they taste BAD underwater.

mm2002
01-21-2008, 10:45
Vitamin C has tons of benefits. I've been taking 3000mg C daily for years, and my yearly checkups are always great. I had a little higher than norm Cholesterol and Triglycerides a couple of years ago, and started taking fish oil. Now that's back in check, and I really haven't changed my diet much at all. Never underestimate the power of nutritional supplements, but do research and know what you're taking and why.

DiveCaptain
01-21-2008, 20:11
Gotta love those vitamins, Just started taking a multi-vitamin about a year ago and I feel a little bit more energetic in the mornings and not so tired at night. Never thought they could help you with diving though? Good to know.

Chocoholic
01-21-2008, 21:03
I usually take a vacation from my vitamins (on vacation) because I don't want to have to explain what all these pills are to the customs agent, BUT now that I know this I will take the stuff with me.

Mtrewyn
01-23-2008, 10:50
I usually take a vacation from my vitamins (on vacation) because I don't want to have to explain what all these pills are to the customs agent, BUT now that I know this I will take the stuff with me.

Good point!

Supplements are good, but I really think a balanced diet is probably better in the long run, But that is VERY VERY hard to do, so we are back to supplements.

Gombessa
01-23-2008, 11:04
I've been taking a daily multivit out of habit, but don't know if any physiological effects could really be noticed. I've had good and bad days after diving regardless...

scubajane
01-24-2008, 22:20
I take vitamins and thought that I was wasting my money and creating expensive pee so I quit taking them In about 1 week I started feeling yucky. went back to vitamins and felt much better. i have also had a bad day at work and felt 'off ' all day got home and realized that I had not taken my vitamins. so for me vitamins are helpful

b1draper
01-25-2008, 14:13
There's a multi-vitamin sold at Walmart called "One Source-Mens Formula" which has green tea extract in it.

Ram4wd
01-27-2008, 09:56
Does anyone have an opinion on the effectiveness of Ester C? Thank you.

jeepbrew
01-29-2008, 17:34
I guess I need to take a trip to the pharmacy. Good article.

Noboundaries
02-29-2008, 22:51
I've always had problems with muscle cramps, even in my exceptionally fit days. When I got certified in Monterey Bay in 51 degree water, the weekend was just one big muscle cramp. Talk about uncomfortable. I found that a protein drink, bananas, and a lot of mental relaxation helped, but muscle cramps were always just one unintentionally strong leg kick away.

Last summer I started taking a multivitamin to help manage life stress; Relacore vitamins, available at Costco. I noticed they had a calming effect on me. Shortly afterwards my wife and I took our advanced class in Lake Tahoe. Lo and behold, no muscle cramps! I mean none. A few months later we went diving every day for five days in Cozumel, 2-3 dives per day. The only day I had muscle cramps was the day I forgot the vitamins. Now I won't dive without them.

People say vitamins just give you expensive pee, but I've definitely noticed a positive physiological change.

rfb3
02-29-2008, 23:19
People say vitamins just give you expensive pee, but I've definitely noticed a positive physiological change.

Funny. I've heard this before but they are worth the chance they are working, I think!