PDA

View Full Version : How to convince the wife not to carry all those cloths on a dive trip

SYOTABUCS
01-09-2008, 08:46
I have pointed out (very gently) that over half of her cloths do not get worn when we go on a trip. Trying to cut down on luggage. Suggestions?

Thanks for any help

NitroWill
01-09-2008, 08:47
Remind her if they lose the luggage that all of her favorite items of clothes will be lost forever - instead of just half of them ;)

FOUNDATIONER
01-09-2008, 08:55
My suggestion is you forget that kind of crazy talk and ask Larry to erase
this thread before your wife sees it:smilie39:

cudachaser
01-09-2008, 09:17
My suggestion is you forget that kind of crazy talk and ask Larry to erase
this thread before your wife sees it:smilie39:

I agree...if you tell her anything she'll just bring more stuff

Joe

Daved
01-09-2008, 09:24
Try the if you leave the suitcase half empty you will have more room to buy stuff.

NitroWill
01-09-2008, 09:26
Remind her if they lose the luggage that all of her favorite items of clothes will be lost forever - instead of just half of them ;)

Oh wait - I change my mind - then she will cram more stuff in there hoping they'll lose it so she can go on a huge shopping spree :smiley11:

Tom A
01-09-2008, 09:37
good luck

dallasdivergirl
01-09-2008, 09:46
That is a tough one. I have to agree on the whole "you will lose all your favorite clothes" line. It may be a good start. Also the more room to buy stuff is a good one too!

My goal is to take as little as possible since I am normally packing two wetsuits which eats up luggage space like no other. Also, if something doesn't go with at least two other things (if shorts, two tops or a shirt that matches two pair of shorts) I won't take it. I have to have some where to put the new tshirts & the gifts I bring back. Also one pair of brown & one pair of black keens for shoes & that's it.

kancho
01-09-2008, 10:29
Tell her you will need room for the stuff you want to buy right.

divingyogini
01-09-2008, 10:31
Offer to discuss in advance what types of places you'll be going in addition to diving, such as what types of restaurants, whether or not you'll be going dancing, how much walking you'll be doing and what the streets are like (even pavement, dirt, cobblestones).

If she knows what to expect then she can pack appropriately.

Also, find out if there are laundry facilities on or near where you are staying - that goes a long way.

fireflock
01-09-2008, 12:10
As long as she's willing to carry it, and it fit's in her bags....no problems.

Same goes for the guy with 80 tons of camera gear.

If you can't carry it all, you're bringing too much stuff.

CompuDude
01-09-2008, 13:20
LOL good point, tell her to bring as much as she wants, but you won't carry it for her.

Else lost luggage, and room to buy new clothes seem like the most likely options.

Oh, another thought, if you're traveling somewhere new and out of the country, is to make up luggage restrictions. Hand her a scale, and tell her the bag is only allowed to weigh 30 lbs!

Foo2
01-09-2008, 13:25
Don't bother...it's a lost cause. If a woman wants her clothes....she's gonna take her clothes. Sorry to break it to you this way.

CompuDude
01-09-2008, 13:28
Don't bother...it's a lost cause. If a woman wants her clothes....she's gonna take her clothes. Sorry to break it to you this way.

Yup, you're right. That's where my suggestion to make her carry it comes in! LOL

Foo2
01-09-2008, 13:37

Yup, you're right. That's where my suggestion to make her carry it comes in! LOL

I thought you are a married man, you know good and well that she isn't gonna carry it all.....That is if she is any sort of an educated woman.:smiley36:

SYOTABUCS
01-09-2008, 15:49
She has done great on shoes. 3 pair including the pair she wears. Maybe the laundary option. I have found some on Cozumel. Which is where we go mostly.

She says if we buy a place on Cozumel then we can just get buy with carry ons. After she gets the place stocked up.

Thanks for the help (or the pity)

comet24
01-09-2008, 16:25
Give up it's a lost cause.

I went on a cruise with a girl I was dating years ago. After she unpacked I noticed all the shoes she had brought. This was a seven day cruise. She had more the seven pairs of shoes.

CompuDude
01-09-2008, 16:28

I thought you are a married man, you know good and well that she isn't gonna carry it all.....That is if she is any sort of an educated woman.:smiley36:

Call it wishful thinking, or call it a recommendation to someone else. ;) I carry everything either way, since my wife has a bad back. The one reason I can be grateful for Thailand's absurdly low baggage allowance!

Bigg_Budd
01-09-2008, 16:30
Tell her you're gonna go without her...

Firefyter
01-09-2008, 17:36
Tell her you're gonna go without her...

Better yet, just go ahead and go without her....LOTS easier :D

snagel
01-09-2008, 17:51
Our last trip I tried to explain this same thing...."you don't need your whole wardrobe" to my wife. Didn't work, she continued to insist that she needed everything. I tried the "you can buy whatever you need". Didn't work...she was afraid she wouldn't find what she needed. This made sense to her, not so sure me.

Finally, I told her, "You will have to carry whatever you bring, I've got my suitcase and my dive gear". Her answer, "fine". (I think there was an interpretation post on exactly what fine means earlier).

I travel light, well below the 50# limit. So, as we are pushing our way through the airport, it occurs to me, why is my suitcase so heavy. We have matching suitcases. Now I know why she quickly jumped out of the airport shuttle to get her bag and start heading for the ticket counter.

You women are schemers sometimes!!!!!

S. Nagel

DivingCRNA
01-09-2008, 18:36
You could leave her at home....

No luggage and one less ticket to buy. :D

cutter77
01-09-2008, 20:22
As long as she's willing to carry it, and it fit's in her bags....no problems.

Same goes for the guy with 80 tons of camera gear.

If you can't carry it all, you're bringing too much stuff.

Everyone's responsible for their own gear; packing, loading in the car, checking it and lugging it around.

Athena2c
01-09-2008, 20:55
Pick your battles....
:smiley2:

Osprey
01-10-2008, 07:17
My mother and sister LOVE clothes shopping, but even they know that at the end of a trip.. NOBODY wants to lug all that crap back!! But the enticement of maybe getting a new little beach outfit is usually cause to leave more room.. and if you don't buy anything in the end, at least you don't have a ton of wrinkled, roughed up clothes to unpack when you get home. That's no way to end a vacation

DiveSooner
01-10-2008, 10:02
... pick you battle..... 'Yes, Dear." smile and book more diving.....

awap
01-10-2008, 11:22
First you need to convince yourself that the cure is not going to be more of a problem than some unused packed clothing.

Then understand the source of the problem. To delay decisions and deal with uncertainty, we opt to have extra rather than not enough.

So, the more detailed your schedule and plans, the less uncertainty you will have to deal with. And the less reason you will have to delay decisions. So make your detailed plans and schedule and relate all packing to that detailed plan. Caution, what is good for the goose.... Be ready to do the same with your dive gear.

Finally, when you realize this will probably just detract from the pleasure of your vacation, buy yourself another bag so you will ba able to carry more.

lifeispunny
01-10-2008, 12:07
As a women, I never, ever understood the whole clothes thing in general and packing for a trip.

You are going to be on a boat most of the time, that's a swim suit and jacket. Then you're at a beach! Shorts and a shirt! One for each day, how is this hard?

I don't get it, on vacation I want to relax not worry about what I'm going to wear that night. I just don't get it...:smiley24:

Sorry, I guess that doesn't help your problem...but I feel better!

CompuDude
01-10-2008, 12:45
As a women, I never, ever understood the whole clothes thing in general and packing for a trip.

You are going to be on a boat most of the time, that's a swim suit and jacket. Then you're at a beach! Shorts and a shirt! One for each day, how is this hard?

I don't get it, on vacation I want to relax not worry about what I'm going to wear that night. I just don't get it...:smiley24:

Depends on the type of trip. My next trip is ranging from ultra-urban chic (Bangkok) to ultra-rural (hiking in Chiang Mai countryside) to beach-alicious (Phuket) and diving. For two weeks. Try packing for that, with scuba gear, and a one 44lb bag limit!

mm_dm
01-10-2008, 12:52

I like your style...keep it simple!

lifeispunny
01-10-2008, 13:22

Depends on the type of trip. My next trip is ranging from ultra-urban chic (Bangkok) to ultra-rural (hiking in Chiang Mai countryside) to beach-alicious (Phuket) and diving. For two weeks. Try packing for that, with scuba gear, and a one 44lb bag limit!

Ok, I'll give you that one.

Puffer Fish
01-10-2008, 15:20

Easy..with weight to spare.

I got my wife over the pack everything issue by buying her microfiber clothing...just for each specific trip. Yes it costs a lot... but the result is very little weight to carry and stuff that can be hand washed and dries in hours. Now she only complains on the stuff I by for myself, so this money is easy to spend. Travelsmith, REI and LL Bean are your friend.

CompuDude
01-10-2008, 17:20

Easy..with weight to spare.

I got my wife over the pack everything issue by buying her microfiber clothing...just for each specific trip. Yes it costs a lot... but the result is very little weight to carry and stuff that can be hand washed and dries in hours. Now she only complains on the stuff I by for myself, so this money is easy to spend. Travelsmith, REI and LL Bean are your friend.

As soon as BCBG, Ann Taylor others of a similar ilk start selling clothes made of microfiber, I'll be set. :smiley29:

Travelsmith, Magellans, REI, LL Bean and Adventure 16 are MY friends, not hers... according to her.

azdiver
01-12-2008, 10:00
Yikes! I've gone on 10 day dive trips with a nothing but a 22" suitcase (for clothes and bc and ass't gear) and a small (25" in length) dufflebag filled with my fins, boots, regulator and camera equipment which I also took on the plane! On non-dive trips, I've traveled for 2 weeks with just my 22" carryon and a small backpak.

I'm a firm believer in dispose of clothes as you go to make rooom for the stuff you buy! :-)

whse56
01-12-2008, 11:31
Basically give up, admit you're screwed

fisheater
01-12-2008, 11:55
Basically give up, admit you're screwed

Or you won't be. :smiley2:

ScubaJenn81
01-12-2008, 15:17
I agree with the you bring it, you lug it. Even if there is a laundymat nearby, she will still fill up the suitcases. It just means more options.

Diver Kat
01-12-2008, 20:27
Tell her she'll have less laundry to wash when she gets home ....

Chocoholic
01-15-2008, 00:58
Just tip the porter really well and have fun, don't worry yourself silly.

SYOTABUCS
01-15-2008, 09:49
Just tip the porter really well and have fun, don't worry yourself silly.

That is what I have done.

But thinking about flying into Cancun from Atlanta and making the trek over to Cozumel to save several hundred dollars. The fewer bags the better. A few bucks isn't worth it but there are some major fare differences at certain times between flying into Cancun and Cozumel.

But at least she dives and loves it.

Lone Frogman
01-15-2008, 10:05
Tell her you are going to take her to a nude resort.

aggie99
01-15-2008, 10:55
Tell her you are going to take her to a nude resort.

Yeah, take her to Hedonism, no clothes required there :)

Li'l Castaway
01-16-2008, 11:02
I'm new here and this is my first post. So first - Hi.

I like to enjoy myself on vacation. I don't want to shop for clothes or do laundry. My husband packs his suitcase, and I pack mine. My suitcase has 4 wheels so it's easier for me if I have to push or pull - easy on the back. If there is a weight restriction on the airline or boat - I follow it. I carry on my equipment - check my clothes. My husband does help me with the luggage but I help too.

He use to tell me all the things I'm reading here about taking too much clothes. (We on going for xx days, why do I need all those clothes, blah, blah, blah...) Never the threat about me not going - that would be silly. I would miss him while I was having fun and he was home by himself. :-) I finally told him that he was making me stressed and this was about enjoying ourselves. I told him that if it helps, don't watch what I pack. Besides, I'm going to bring what I want anyway. I don't know what I'm going to wear each day. I don't want to plan each day - I like choices, not stresses before we even begin. This worked!

Btw - I've been married for 26 years now. Pre-vacation packing is not stressful for either of us!! (He doesn't watch me pack.)

MaryAnn

ScubaJW
01-16-2008, 11:17
Li'l Castaway, I agree with you - that is what I would do! Welcome to Scubatoys forum!

boates
01-16-2008, 16:00
In order to teach myself to lighten up, I decided that every item of clothing I packed and did not wear, I would leave behind on donation. This way I now take only what I want, and don't pack all those pesky " I might need this" items. Also this allows more room for our school supply donation items. Works for me!

IrishSquid
01-16-2008, 18:44
.......If she knows what to expect then she can pack appropriately.....
:smilie39: :smilie39::smilie39:

Yeah.., RIGHT!

acceb0721
08-03-2008, 22:29
Well, I guess I'm lucky.. My husband likes the 'extra' clothes as much as I do - just in case something happens, something gets spilled on something, etc.. His solution, buy a bigger suitcase and then a bigger truck to haul suitcase and all the dive gear.

CompuDude
08-04-2008, 19:38
Well, I guess I'm lucky.. My husband likes the 'extra' clothes as much as I do - just in case something happens, something gets spilled on something, etc.. His solution, buy a bigger suitcase and then a bigger truck to haul suitcase and all the dive gear.

That was my solution, too, until the airlines started up with these inane luggage allowances. Gone are the days of loading up a monster suitcase or three, and slipping the skycab an extra $10 at the curb to get them on board...

Diver Kat
08-04-2008, 20:03
That was my solution, too, until the airlines started up with these inane luggage allowances. Gone are the days of loading up a monster suitcase or three, and slipping the skycab an extra $10 at the curb to get them on board...Ain't that the truth!! As a test run - tickets were bought pre extra luggage charges - we just did 2 weeks in the Keys on 3 medium suitcases ... worked out pretty well, although after some mega hot sauce shopping in Key West they were all very close to 50 lbs each!

mselizann
08-04-2008, 20:46
If she was forced to pack less than she wanted she would get in a mood one night b/c of the one outfit she wished she had brought
Just let her do her thing

unclepooty
08-05-2008, 10:59
As previously stated, I don't watch her pack. Ohh! and I started that 100 push up work out!

Colwoman831
08-05-2008, 21:02
What is the big issue, if she can manage it than no sweat. One thing woman are is prepared.

sravin1
08-05-2008, 22:11
tell her that the trip is for 3 days when you are actually going for a week.