PDA

View Full Version : much work?

joematthews
01-09-2008, 15:37
i've always wanted to get into filming, and was wondering if there is much demand for it as a profession, and what the pay is like?
i understand it will be different in different parts of the world, but any insight is great.

Big Mike
01-21-2008, 11:16
Be prepared for "sticker shock" for equipment

Puffer Fish
01-21-2008, 13:59
Be prepared for "sticker shock" for equipment
That is an understatement.

I have a friend that sells "stock" UW footage to movie makers....you would not get rich doing it, and you have to have a large inventory of things.

Note: Say someone wants a picture of a shark in a film, but does not want to spend all the time and money... he provides a small shark film, that can be used.

If you look at the people doing major work, you have to have a break or know someone.

But, the few people I have met that did it full time, also were very driven and never gave up their dream. Oddly, either they never said or I forgot how they got started, but I do remember them talking about their big break..(just the Taylors and Al G. are the only ones that I ever had the chance to talk with, so that is a fairly small population).

I have met several people that do custom work for dive locations and such, but my impression is that it is more about being able to dive for free than the passion for the film art, but I could easily be wrong.

My suggestion would be to go ask some of the biggies in the industry and see what they say..

phishy
02-19-2008, 09:28
Hi, Just wondering where your friend sells his stock footage. Does he only sell to big companies or lil guys too?