PDA

View Full Version : Ice Diver manual

kancho
01-10-2008, 13:34
Does PADI have an ice diver manual. I am taking the course but I don't want my LDS where I am taking my course charge me alot for a slim book I am most likely only going to read once like my DS manual. What a waste of money that was..

MSilvia
01-10-2008, 15:06
We didn't have one when I took it... just photocopies of the instructor's own notes.

terrillja
01-10-2008, 15:24
Does PADI have an ice diver manual. I am taking the course but I don't want my LDS where I am taking my course charge me alot for a slim book I am most likely only going to read once like my DS manual. What a waste of money that was..

I have this:

Beneath A Crystal Ceiling - A Complete Guide To Ice Diving - by R. Todd Smith An excellent guide book for Ice Diving that is over 200 pages with photography and diagrams throughout. L-7307

It's published/sold by IANTD, and a superb resource.

kancho
01-11-2008, 07:03
Ok.. I hope they won't make me buy their version of the book and charge me alot of money. Thanks guys

cummings66
01-11-2008, 07:26
Man, it's Padi. Of course they require you to have the book, but a good shop won't care where you bought the book from. I know when I took rescue I had the book that was given to me and because it still had all the knowledge reviews in it I was able to use it in the class and save money.

So, yes you need the book but if you could find it elsewhere you might not need to buy it. Your shop may not mark it up much anyhow, I'd ask them. Some shops are anal and will make you buy the book from them regardless, it's best to ask.

chinacat46
01-11-2008, 08:53
PADI doesn't have a mannual for Ice Diving so there is no "required" mannual. However your shop may recommend one they pick out like the IANTD one listed above.