PDA

View Full Version : watch vid. and tell me what is going on

Black-Gorrilla
07-26-2007, 23:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy6oWRijJEM&mode=related&search=

why is he still on a tank after he is out of the water? is that a deco tank? is that necessary only cause he went to 200m?

fire diver
07-27-2007, 08:43
Yes, he is most likely breathing off a tank of pure oxygen. The Green guage covers are a clue that it is for high O2 use only. It is common for divers to hang in the water, at the surface and breath O2 for a while to help off-gas.

FD

BSea
07-27-2007, 08:55
I agree. I think it's pure O2. It looks like there is a 6 for the MOD. I'm guessing that's 6 meters or about 20 ft. That's the deepest you can go on almost pure O2.

cummings66
07-27-2007, 10:19
I'll chime in, yes it's an O2 tank and the mod is in meters. Further evidence is his lying down and the lack of movement afterwards, all techniques to off gas.

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 12:46
thanks for clearing that up guys.
i take it that trough the dive, on the way up he does a few different stops on mixed gases?
Also, how long does a dive like that last?

i also saw a pretty disturbing video at the same dive spot last night, some diver in 2000 died, and it was all recorded on his head camera. kept me up for a bit... every time it would get too quiet in my room i would wake up again. it was sad, and made me think a lot. I've seen the "worst accidents ever caught on tape" or "faces of death" videos, and the video i saw last night was by far worst than anything i had ever seen.

fire diver
07-27-2007, 12:54
Yeah I've seen that video. Pretty disturbing, but I think it should be required viewing for all new dive students.

FD

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 13:49
i agree, it made me re read my ow book (in the prosces now) and look into taking other courses in the near future.

BSea
07-30-2007, 10:48
I saw that also. You kept wanting to tell him to go up. That's why getting narced is so dangerous. 1 more reason to use nitrox in my opinion.

Splitlip
07-30-2007, 11:41
without seeing the vid, I am gonna say he is breathing 02.

edit: this reply to OP and judging by other replies I was correct.

(still haven't looked at the vid)

BSea
07-30-2007, 11:47

If it's the video I saw, you're wrong. The guy was apparently OK at about 100' then proceeded to keep going down. He was talking, then later nothing but gibberish. They found him where the video stopped at about 300'.

Black-Gorrilla
07-30-2007, 12:17
the vid is on youtube, i will post the link later.
the guy seemed good for a bit, and then just started sinking fast... it was hard to watch after a bit... horrible stuff.

Black-Gorrilla
07-30-2007, 14:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eejQPUyeNiY
thats the video of his death.
DON'T WATCH IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH... it's not too graphical, but is a bit hard for some to watch.

deepdiver47
08-01-2007, 13:39
I have heard of this place. They take a drive from the shore to a blue hole in the desert. It has incredible depths and it is a techie's dream. Can't say it does much for me. Deep is okay but just to say that you did it? Doesn't sound very manly to me.

DirtyWaterIL
08-01-2007, 16:16
im guessing pure o2, but the video was kinda lame, i thoguth they would atleasty show him at the bottom.

BSea
08-01-2007, 16:29
Pure O2 is deadly below 25 to 25 feet. I think he just got narced when he went too deep. I doubt he would have been concious at 100' let alone on the way to 300' if he was on pure O2.

I do remember this video, but had it confused with another where the diver was wearing com gear of some sort. Obviously this guy was just using a standard regulator.

Splitlip
08-01-2007, 19:18

If it's the video I saw, you're wrong. The guy was apparently OK at about 100' then proceeded to keep going down. He was talking, then later nothing but gibberish. They found him where the video stopped at about 300'.
I watched the video in the OP link. It was definitely O2. Wise thing to do, like a saftey stop.

Splitlip
08-01-2007, 19:21
im guessing pure o2, but the video was kinda lame, i thoguth they would atleasty show him at the bottom.
Yeah it was. I could have made a similar video. In fact I do have video of me entering the water and then exiting. Oh yeah, I was at 600'. Yeah, that's right. I forgot. I'll post it

Black-Gorrilla
08-01-2007, 19:33
well, that place is super deep... and it mentions 201m... so i was trying to figure why he was on a bottle at surface... and i got my answer...
i don't think going to 200m can even be fun.... just gotta be so precise... whats the point... to say "i went to 200m..."
the blue hole is nice because of the arch... that's at like 56m... there's no reason to go past that for me... just to go trough the arch...
there are vids of freedivers doing it too... 56m down.. 30m across...56m up... makes me cringe.

torrey
08-02-2007, 11:12
Pure O2 is deadly below 25 to 25 feet. I think he just got narced when he went too deep. I doubt he would have been concious at 100' let alone on the way to 300' if he was on pure O2.

I had always heard pure O2 is poisonous. Is this not the case? Or is it not exactly 100% O2?

Black-Gorrilla
08-02-2007, 12:35
i think it is poisonous below 20' deep (6m)

fire diver
08-02-2007, 19:01
I had always heard pure O2 is poisonous. Is this not the case? Or is it not exactly 100% O2?

No, pure oxygen is not poisonous. Oxygen is essential to life. The problem with oxygen is that our bodies are adapted to exist in a 21% atmosphere at sea level. When we start geting significantly higher than that, it has a negative effect on our bodies after so much time. If the partial pressure of oxygen get VERY higher (above 100% at sea level) it begins to build up and have negative effets on our central nervous system.

It's quite complicated, so I hope I have simplified it enough.

FD

CompuDude
08-02-2007, 19:22
I saw that also. You kept wanting to tell him to go up. That's why getting narced is so dangerous. 1 more reason to use nitrox in my opinion.

Nitrox doesn't lower Nitrogen Narcosis. Heliox, or Trimix does.

At truly extreme depths (I may have seen the same video on TV some time ago... the cave diver going for the record, not the YouTube vid freom the first post), even Helium starts having detrimental effects.

The guy at the end of the "201 meters" vid is most definitely breathing pure 02 to assist off-gassing.

I do remember this video, but had it confused with another where the diver was wearing com gear of some sort. Obviously this guy was just using a standard regulator.
You would be convulsing from Oxygen Toxicity long before 300', breathing 100% o2. Probably long before 100', although that may depend partially on how fast you descend. Death would come quickly, at any rate.

No, pure oxygen is not poisonous. Oxygen is essential to life. The problem with oxygen is that our bodies are adapted to exist in a 21% atmosphere at sea level. When we start geting significantly higher than that, it has a negative effect on our bodies after so much time. If the partial pressure of oxygen get VERY higher (above 100% at sea level) it begins to build up and have negative effets on our central nervous system.

It's quite complicated, so I hope I have simplified it enough.
Pure o2 can even be toxic at sea level, if you breathe it long enough. In hospitals they have to monitor how long you breathe it, and adjust the levels and/or give you "air breaks", depending on how long you need to be exposed to it. IIRC, the bigger risk in that situation is pulmonary vs. CNS tox, but both can be deadly.

O2 is life-giving and terrifying at the same time.

Kinda like mom. :smilie39:

quarrydiver
09-11-2007, 22:49
This is a diver making poor choices. Did it look like he was taping his depth as a trophy?

brandon
09-12-2007, 00:08
Here's the story behind the video:

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200508/dave-shaw-1.html

I feel sorry for his family - not only is there a horrible snuff film widely circulated on the internet of his death, but no one seems to understand or care about what actually happened.

-B.

CompuDude
09-12-2007, 02:43

I feel sorry for his family - not only is there a horrible snuff film widely circulated on the internet of his death, but no one seems to understand or care about what actually happened.

-B.

Are you sure that's the same event? Dahab (Blue Hole) is not Bushman's Hole.

I saw a documentary on the Discovery Channel about the Dave Shaw story. Tragic event, truly.

Mtrewyn
09-12-2007, 10:42
Another problem with O2 is that it is a very strong oxidizer, very corrosive, and will "burn" if it is used too long, in the same way that bleach is great stuff, but if you leave it on your skin too long...any one seen fight club?

O2 will do the same thing in the right conditions. :smiley22:

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 21:35
saw that video... very scry stuff. looks wiered. has anyone found out why this guy died? looks to me like he may have had issues with decent. do you guys think he dove down too quickly?

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 21:35
very tragic stuff... sobering though. dive within your limits.

Kidder
09-22-2007, 23:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eejQPUyeNiY
thats the video of his death.
DON'T WATCH IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH... it's not too graphical, but is a bit hard for some to watch.

Wow that does stop you and make you think. There is no time to be lax ever.

Desert_Diver
09-23-2007, 00:23

It depends on the partial pressure of the oxygen. When you take a nitrox course, they spend a lot of time explaining the maximum safe depth to use any particular mix of oxygen and the depth at which the oxygen partial pressure will lead to oxygen toxicity (sometimes called oxtox).

If you are interested in this stuff, I recommend a Nitrox course as a first step. Then take some decompression diving courses. They will talk about more exotic gas mixes too.

Art

CrzyJay456
09-23-2007, 01:03

-B.

Are you sure that's the same event? Dahab (Blue Hole) is not Bushman's Hole.

I saw a documentary on the Discovery Channel about the Dave Shaw story. Tragic event, truly.

thats not the same event. but it is a good read, but a pretty horrible thing!!
im on page 7 and am going to have to finish in the AM. too late and too tired.

CrzyJay456
09-23-2007, 01:17
i was actually not able to get off the pc and finished reading it... WOW. that is so tragic and has so much family and friends involver in it. its so sad.

tbuckalew
09-23-2007, 21:08
Boy, what a thread and some interesting reads!

FIRST THE ORIGINAL QUESTION

For the original question about he diver to 201 meters of salt water in Egypt - the bottle is Oxygen. As you know, the deeper we go, the greather the partial pressures of each of the gases in the air we breath. Nitrogen, at increased pressures, creates a narcotic effect (nitrogen narcosis - being narc'd). Oxygen, at partial pressures reaching 2 atmospheres, is toxic. In fact, it is oxygen that is responsible for the fire you see at camp and why smothering a fire (and depriving it of oxygen) kills it. You often hear of "antioxidents" in the vitamin aisle of the store - Oxygen is very corrosive as well. At greater depths, he was probably breathing trimix, a mixture of oxygen, nitrogen, and helium (replacing some of the nitrogen). He probably switched to higher oxygen content gases as he ascended to certain depths - decreasing the nitrogen intake in his body resulting in a lower amount of nitrogen in his tissues. As he ascended and reached the surface, the bottle they gave him would probably have been pure oxygen to help the outgassing process and help prevent the onset of decompression sickness.

I believe another post noted that a Nitrox course would help shed some light on this. That is a great idea!

NEXT - THE LIPSKI VIDEO

What a distrubing video! Obviously still concious at the bottom, but unable (or unwilling) to take any action. I'm guessing he was narc'd and unable to think through his situation. The biggest lesson here is what one of the video viewers stated - "he went down without his buddy. He was an instructor and thought he could go alone". Simply sticking with his buddy may have prevented his death and this is one good example of why a buddy is so important.

FINALLY THE DEON STORY

This is a tragic story. In the end, almost the same lesson as the Lipski video. You cannot trust narcosis, when it will come one, how you will react, etc. Hence the mantra - plan your dive, dive your plan. His friend made that comment when viewing the camera video - stick to the plan.