PDA

View Full Version : Strip a Mares Abyss ?

CLaFong
01-10-2008, 14:12
Anybody know how to strip down and reassemble a Mares Abyss 2005 model? Not for rebuild purposes but incase of sand etc

tks

Black-Gorrilla
01-11-2008, 21:55
how far broken down do you want to go?
you should not have to take it apart to clean it of sand... and if you do, it's probly pretty bad and should be taken to a shop and have them do it!!

ScaredSilly
01-11-2008, 23:42
I assume you are talking about the 2nd stage. If ya got sand in the first ya got real problems.

If talking about the 2nd stage you will first the step is the PITA step which is to removed the clamp that connects the face plate to the body. The clamp on mine was metal and drove me nuts (and ultimately lead me to sell them - I hear they have been improved). Once the clamp is off the rest of the reg will easily come a part.

After a good week of diving I would disassemble mine and remove the crap in them - not matter how careful you are sand will get in there.

CLaFong
02-13-2008, 10:06
Thanks
its just for sand not rebuild
dont have any sand in it now, I'm looking for user adjustable stuff only
maybe books or manual on it

WAHMof2
02-13-2008, 11:14
We took our reg covers off after a few days of diving, and I was amazed at all the crap in there! I wonder how many people never check them until their yearly service?

No Misses
02-13-2008, 11:17
CLaFong, Try this Mares Dealer Service Manual 2001 - Page %CURPAGENUM% of %LASTPAGENUM% (http://www.scubatoys.com/servicemanuals/mares/mares_repair_manual_2001/mares_repair_manual_2001index.html)

IMHO you do not need to dissasemble the 2nd stage, to remove sand. Rinse it well with running water (low Pressure). I swish mine around in a bucket.

If you choose to disassemble, do not change any of the adjustements and be careful with the diaphram. As was stated earlier, the metal ring is the hardest part to remove. None of the other parts take any force to remove. If you are forcing it, you are doing it wrong.

CLaFong
02-14-2008, 09:59
thanks
that should do it, just need to brush up on what to look for before touching it

Does anyone know which is the "preferred" port for the secondary. On the Abyss they list a preferential port for the primary second but dont tell you where it is. It was assembled for me but when I have it mounted on the tank my secondary is in the far lp and the octo is in the closer lp. They end up crossing. I'm thinking of reversing them but dont want to loose the effectiveness of the intermediate LP. No big deal, if no one is sure, I can always send scubatoys an email

CLaFong
02-14-2008, 10:01
by the way ScaredSilly,

whats the "PITA step" stand for
not familiar with that one

cummings66
02-14-2008, 11:07
PITA = Pain in the A?s

Swishing a reg in water will not remove all the sand/silt that collets in them, I do it right after every dive, never let the stuff dry until it's cleaned and yet I have crud that needs cleaning out. Once had free flow problems due to it.

CLaFong
02-14-2008, 11:56
I get it

Also found which is the preferencial port is
the abyss come with 4 lp ports and 2 hp ports
2 - 7/16
1 - 1/2
3 - 3/8

missed it on the first and second read of the manual

ScaredSilly
02-14-2008, 13:43
mine had 2 HP 7/16" ports
4 - 3/8 ports (one of which was a dfc port).

Ditto on the swishing it around. Does not always work. You should see the crap that I found in the ambient chamber of one of my first stages after taking it a part (not a normal procedure but I am rebuilding it). I like second stages that are easy to take a part of clean out.