PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Coast Guard to Patrol Table Rock?

snagel
01-10-2008, 17:50
When I was down at Scuba Sports in Branson, they were telling me that all the instructors were taking classes so that they could take a boat of students/divers out on a boat. The said this was going to be a new requirement because the U.S. Coast Guard was going to start patrolling the lake.

Apparently, they will not have any jurisdiction over the private boats, but will over the "commercial" vessals such as dive boats and charters.

I wonder if they will have any effect on the ski-doo's flying around the dive flags? Or, any jurisdiction over dive flags for that matter.

I'm thinking, this might also have something to do with Homeland Security due to the dam.

Anybody know anything about this?

S. Nagel

billucusdiver
01-10-2008, 18:51
The reason they are taking classes is most likley not because the coast gaurd is going to patrol table rock. It is more likley they are getting there six pack license so they can take people out for hire. As per coast guard regulations they cannot recive any payment for opperating commercialy unless they have at least a six pack license.

cummings66
01-10-2008, 19:07
Scuba Sports had some of their instructors to where they could do this, but my best guess is that not all of them did. In the past Monty was about the only one who could take you out in the boat and the others didn't. I think Louis could too but rarely did.

However, they have a few others and I'm guessing it's about time they got them certified. I know there were times I wanted a trip that I couldn't get it because somebody was gone and those two were the only ones who could do it.

You never know with the government though, could be lots of reasons.

Navy OnStar
01-10-2008, 19:21
If the Coast Guard is patrolling, then I would think they would have the same jurisdiction over private/commercial boats/jet skis/etc. That they do anywhere else.

snagel
01-10-2008, 20:05
Yes, I do remember the phrase "six pack". I was hoping it didn't have something to do with Budweiser. I was talking to Andy and he said Monte had it and so did Louis. He was currently finishing it up.

Andy told me that the Water Patrol still had jurisdiction over the private vessals - boats, jet skies, etc. But, specifically said that the Coast Guard only had jurisdiction over the the "commercial" guys and not the private.

Just going off what I was told.

S. Nagel

Navy OnStar
01-10-2008, 20:10
Yes, I do remember the phrase "six pack". I was hoping it didn't have something to do with Budweiser. I was talking to Andy and he said Monte had it and so did Louis. He was currently finishing it up.

Andy told me that the Water Patrol still had jurisdiction over the private vessals - boats, jet skies, etc. But, specifically said that the Coast Guard only had jurisdiction over the the "commercial" guys and not the private.

Just going off what I was told.

S. Nagel

The Coast Guard would still have jurisdiction if they wanted but they probably have an agreement with the Water Patrol to just stick with the commercial boats. I'm sure if they saw something blatantly dangerous on a private boat that they would probably step in.

snagel
01-10-2008, 20:51
I agree