PDA

View Full Version : DivingCRNA's PADI DM Journey

DivingCRNA
01-10-2008, 23:17
OK, here it is. A record of the voyage. Keep in mind that I will NOT be spilling the beans on anything that is meant to be a surprise for future candidates....

1/10/08

First session. We sorted out paper work-medical clearance, log book, rescue cert, AOW, CPR, pictures, etc...

Then we discussed all the stuff that has to get done. Wow is it a lot. We talked about skills that need to be done, projects that need to be done and how we are going to do it. I will be doing the internship route.

We did Chapters 1 and 3 in the DM manual and I took my first test-assisting instructors, or something like that. I got 100%. I can give the title when I bring the stuff inside.

7 chapters and 4(?) tests to go for book work. I left the stuff in the truck and it is late, so I do not have the exact data. A lot of pool work left and a bunch of open water stuff.

I am going to try to prep for 2-4 tests before the next session. I want to get this done as fast as I can. There are a lot of steps, and I hate to let things linger if I do not have to. I would lovethe book and pool work to be done by spring.....

UCFKnightDiver
01-11-2008, 00:03
well good luck crna I know your up to it and keep us posted

MLenyo
01-11-2008, 00:28
how long was the first day?

texdiveguy
01-11-2008, 00:35
Have they taught you the secret PADI DMC handshake yet??

CODMAN
01-11-2008, 06:51
Cool! I'm leaving in february to do my DM course in the Philippines (better there than here in the freezing cold water!! :smilie39:). I'm currently getting the book work done so I'll be relatively free for the practical stuff (except for the exams) once I'm over there!

Have fun! I know I already am and I'm not over there yet!!!:smiley20:

TxScubaBear
01-11-2008, 07:07
Have they taught you the secret PADI DMC handshake yet??
I was wondering if they issued the Super Secret PADI decoder ring yet or is that in stage 2?

DivingCRNA
01-11-2008, 13:04

4 hours. We sorted out the paper work, went over what has to be done, did 2 chapters and one test.

We also futzed with my reg that free flowed on NYD, but that was not class related.

Also-there are 8 exams. The one I did is "Supervising Students", which I have to do beforestarting the internship.

texdiveguy
01-11-2008, 13:54

4 hours. We sorted out the paper work, went over what has to be done, did 2 chapters and one test.

We also futzed with my reg that free flowed on NYD, but that was not class related.

Also-there are 8 exams. The one I did is "Supervising Students", which I have to do beforestarting the internship.

Its a fun educational program....I enjoyed when I went through DM training.

DivingCRNA
01-19-2008, 18:01
Today was a productive 6 hour session. I did 5 exams and finished all the knowledge reviews from the manual except for the physics chapter.

Scores so far: Physiology 100, Equipment 90, Dive Skills and Environment 85, Divemaster Conducted Programs 100, Supervising Certified Divers 100, and Supervising Students 100.

The Physics exam and Decompression Theory and RDP are next Saturday. I also need to do the first aid course Saturday. Even though I have been a CRNA for 7 years, and worked in emergency care for 16 years, PADI needs me to take First Aid....:smiley29:

After that all the classroom will be done and I need to get in the water to make progress. We have a plan for how to finish everything else out. A lady needs a SCUBA review for my DM conducted program, there are supposed to be some OW students coming up and The continuing ed divers are lining up.

texdiveguy
01-19-2008, 18:06
Today was a productive 6 hour session. I did 5 exams and finished all the knowledge reviews from the manual except for the physics chapter.

Scores so far: Physiology 100, Equipment 90, Dive Skills and Environment 85, Divemaster Conducted Programs 100, Supervising Certified Divers 100, and Supervising Students 100.

The Physics exam and Decompression Theory and RDP are next Saturday. I also need to do the first aid course Saturday. Even though I have been a CRNA for 7 years, and worked in emergency care for 16 years, PADI needs me to take First Aid....:smiley29:

After that all the classroom will be done and I need to get in the water to make progress. We have a plan for how to finish everything else out. A lady needs a SCUBA review for my DM conducted program, there are supposed to be some OW students coming up and The continuing ed divers are lining up.

Well it does sound like things are going good for you and the program!!!

fisheater
01-19-2008, 19:12
Way to go!

(Of course, you'll be called in by Joe and Larry to explain that "low" equipment score. Could it be that you answered all the buoyancy control questions with "you'll die if you don't have a BP/W?")

dannybot
01-19-2008, 21:04
[ Even though I have been a CRNA for 7 years, and worked in emergency care for 16 years, PADI needs me to take First Aid...

I can't help but wonder, will they teach you airway management and oxygen delivery systems?

DivingCRNA
01-19-2008, 21:35
[ Even though I have been a CRNA for 7 years, and worked in emergency care for 16 years, PADI needs me to take First Aid...

I can't help but wonder, will they teach you airway management and oxygen delivery systems?

They tried in Rescue....

I have learned to not argue in these situations...

DivingCRNA
01-19-2008, 21:36
Way to go!

(Of course, you'll be called in by Joe and Larry to explain that "low" equipment score. Could it be that you answered all the buoyancy control questions with "you'll die if you don't have a BP/W?")

Of course, I cannot divulge the 2 questions I missed, but I can tell you that I misread one, and the other was about some VERY OLD style gear....

scubasamurai
01-19-2008, 22:08

They tried in Rescue....

hey bro, just a simple RN with 10yrs ems and trauma as well, did the rescue thing but at least my instructor realized what experience i had in ems does count for something!!! keep us posted going for the big dm after i do a couple of live aboards!!!
and yes airway management and o2 was a joke, you should have fun taking some the DAN courses!!! i taught the instructor a thing or two., and the best part he was cool about it!!! " this guy has more experience than me you should listen to him!!" good luck and remember have fun!! or at least try to.

DivingCRNA
01-19-2008, 22:37

They tried in Rescue....

hey bro, just a simple RN with 10yrs ems and trauma as well, did the rescue thing but at least my instructor realized what experience i had in ems does count for something!!! keep us posted going for the big dm after i do a couple of live aboards!!!
and yes airway management and o2 was a joke, you should have fun taking some the DAN courses!!! i taught the instructor a thing or two., and the best part he was cool about it!!! " this guy has more experience than me you should listen to him!!" good luck and remember have fun!! or at least try to.

I am having fun. I just have to do first aid to follow "standards". It has nothing to do with my instructor. his wife is a nurse and all 3 of us tried to find a way around it. :)

scubasamurai
01-20-2008, 09:51
thats too bad those standards will get you, but try not to fall asleep during that part !!!!

cummings66
01-20-2008, 20:19
Are you sure it's not in the standards that you have the class, not that you have to TAKE the class?

I know I was told in rescue that if I had it I didn't need to take it, can't imagine it would be otherwise with DM. Honestly I'd call Padi HQ myself and ask because I think they're wrong.

DivingCRNA
01-26-2008, 13:20
I took the last two exams today. I got 100% on the physics exam and 90% on Deco Theory and the RDP. I misread the answers on one question (DOH!) and on question involved the wheel. For those unfamiliar with the wheel-each wheel can be a little different and even if you know HOW to do a problem, it can come down to a judgement call on if an arrow pierces a line or not. This can throw you off by a pressure group and give you the wrong answer.

So, 160 exam questions, 7 of them wrong for a total of 96% on exams. I will take that. Now it is time to get wet.

We already have a Dive Master conducted program tentatively lined up (SCUBA review) and some confined water and open water training experiences (drysuit, 2 cavern cert dives, and a guy who wants to take rescue). Darkwolf wants to do AOW, Deep, Rescue, and Cavern as well.

And the pool work is left-swim tests, rescue assessment, skills evaluation.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

comet24
01-26-2008, 14:15
Congrats on finishing all the tests. The wheel does make you wonder which way to go on some questions. Does the arrow piece the line or not. Now put it away and forget about it.

Doing a SCUBA review held me up a little because the shop I work with had it lined up for the one weekend I was out of town for a few months. Doing the DM training is fun. I think the biggest challenge is most poeple who do it have real jobs and working around schedules.

texdiveguy
01-26-2008, 14:35
Thanks for your update....its semi-hard work but fun!

Lineman Larry
01-26-2008, 18:14
Go CRNA Go.

Education is a wonderful thing.

caroln
02-07-2008, 15:59
Congrats on your journey so far. It sounds like you have the 'fun' parts left to do :)

DivingCRNA
03-08-2008, 18:56
So far this thread has been all about how easy the tests were and how much fun I have been having. Not today.

I totally bonked the swim tests. I did a 17:34 on the 800 yard mask/snorkel/fin for 2 points and I f'd up keeping my hands out of the water for the last 2 minutes of the float/tread by starting too early (3 points) and I collected the 1 point I expected on the 400 meters swim.

So, I have 6 points with the tired diver tow to go. It is only worth 5 points if you max out. I need to redo the mask/snorkel fin and/or float tread and come up with some points! This depends on how the tired diver tow goes. I might have to redo both.

I think my piece of crap Oceanic Vortex V12 fins really hurt me. They are about the floppiest split fins in the world. I have been meaning to replace them, but have not, until today. I picked up a pair of Aqualung Blade 2's. Long and stiff. They should help. I can frog kick in them too. I tried them in the LDS pool. I also need to start the hands out of the water at the right time.

So, I am pretty depressed and down on myself for my crappy performance. I knew I swim like a brick, but man did I SUCK HIND TEAT today :(:(:toliot1::fit_old:

I need to do better. But maybe I needed a big fat reminder of how not awesome I am.

Divingguy
03-08-2008, 19:23
Only someone who has EARNED or is WORKING on DM can truly appreciate how difficult some of these tasks can be. Do NOT give up, or be too hard on yourself. Humbling though, isn't it? Good luck.

mm_dm
03-08-2008, 19:27
So far this thread has been all about how easy the tests were and how much fun I have been having. Not today.

I totally bonked the swim tests. I did a 17:34 on the 800 yard mask/snorkel/fin for 2 points and I f'd up keeping my hands out of the water for the last 2 minutes of the float/tread by starting too early (3 points) and I collected the 1 point I expected on the 400 meters swim.

So, I have 6 points with the tired diver tow to go. It is only worth 5 points if you max out. I need to redo the mask/snorkel fin and/or float tread and come up with some points! This depends on how the tired diver tow goes. I might have to redo both.

I think my piece of crap Oceanic Vortex V12 fins really hurt me. They are about the floppiest split fins in the world. I have been meaning to replace them, but have not, until today. I picked up a pair of Aqualung Blade 2's. Long and stiff. They should help. I can frog kick in them too. I tried them in the LDS pool. I also need to start the hands out of the water at the right time.

So, I am pretty depressed and down on myself for my crappy performance. I knew I swim like a brick, but man did I SUCK HIND TEAT today :(:(:toliot1::fit_old:

I need to do better. But maybe I needed a big fat reminder of how not awesome I am.

Brother, I swam for about six months before I took the test...and NAUI just does a pass/fail test. I passed all the test and put on a happy face, but deep down I felt like a big whiner who still had to step it up. There are some people who become Divemasters and go on to help the shop out and do something with their training and those who become Divemasters and disappear off the face of the earth. Sometimes I think the being a Divemaster is all about the becoming. It's what you see in yourself and how you deal with it in your quieter moments that determines where you go with it.

BoomerNJ
03-08-2008, 23:37
Thanks DivingCRNA for posting this. Though I am still a newbie, I intend on going to at least the DM level in the next few years. When I did the swim test for OW that first pool night, I got a wake-up call. I used to be a life guard & a swimming instructor years ago & I took my swimming skill for granted. I haven't had to do any required swim test in years, so that 10 minutes (or whatever it was), actually had me struggling... I have since joined the local YMCA so I have access to a pool, that way I can get my chops back as a swimmer & get a better consumption rate too...

Good luck with your DM cert & again, thanks for the play by play...

Boomer

cummings66
03-09-2008, 08:28

While it won't help you with the mask/fin/snorkel bit it will help with the 400 yard swim, the book Total Immersion Swimming will improve you so much that it will make your head spin. I used to struggle with distance until I got the book/dvd and now I have been able to increase my swimming distance dramatically.

Do you have to do the 800 yards in mask/fin/snorkel? Just curious about that, not that I'd suggest it any other way due to time. I think choosing a stiffer fin was a good idea as well, you're probably going to do much better next time.

I'm glad to see you post here of the failings, all too often all we see from people doing classes is the passes. You're an honest person, and I'm sure you'll make a good DM.

DivingCRNA
03-10-2008, 17:18
FYI:

From the Instructor's manual:

Stamina Exercise 1: 400 Metre/Yard Swim
The candidate must swim 400 metres/yards without stopping using no
swimming aids and using any stroke or combination of strokes desired.
If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated.
400 yards
Time Points
under 6 min 5
6 to 8 min 4
8 to 10 min 3
10 to 12 min 2
more than 12 min 1
stopped incomplete stopped

Stamina Exercise 2: 15 Minute Tread
Using no aids and wearing only a swimsuit, the candidate will stay
afloat by treading water, drown proofing, bobbing or floating for 15
minutes, with hands (not arms) out of the water during the last 2 minutes.
A candidate with a physical challenge that makes it difficult/impossible
to hold hands out of the water is exempted from that portion
of the exercise with no effect on the score.

Criteria Points
Performed satisfactorily 5
Stayed afloat, but hands not out of water entire 2 minutes 3
Used side/bottom for momentary support no more than twice 1
Used side/bottom for support more than twice incomplete

Stamina Exercise 3: 800 Metre/Yard Snorkel Swim
Using a mask, fins, snorkel and swimsuit only (no BCD or flotation
aids) and swimming with the face in the water, the candidate must
swim nonstop for 800 metres/yards. The candidate may not use arms
to swim, unless the candidate has a physical challenge that limits leg
use and arm-swimming is the individualís normal swimming method
while diving. If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated.

800 yards
Time Points Time
under 13 min 5
13 to 15 min 4
15 to 17 min 3
17 to 19 min 2
more than 19 min 1

Stamina Exercise 4: 100 Metres/Yard Inert Diver Tow
Wearing full scuba equipment, the candidate must push or tow an inert
diver in full scuba at the surface 100 metres/yards nonstop without
assistance. Note that this is a swimming power evaluation (speed-against-drag)
not a rescue evaluation. If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must
be repeated.
100 yards
Time Points
under 2 min 5
2 to 3 min 4
3 to 4 min 3
4 to 5 min 2
more than 5 min 1

ReefHound
03-10-2008, 19:29
Given your other scores I would expect you'll have to fight hard to get a 3 in the tow. In split fins you wouldn't have stood a chance as you have all that extra mass to move. Nobody in my class got a 5 on it. Hopefully you'll be pulling a petite girl and not a husky man.

For the 800 yd mfs you want to proceed at a comfortable but relentless pace with hands on your back. If you have turns to make do them in a rounded arc. Should be able to get a 3 and possibly a 4 here.

Redoing the tread is your best shot for making up points, you should be able to easily get a 5 if you conserve your energy for the end by staying as low in the water as possible and minimizing movement. It's all legs the last few minutes so leading up to that rest your legs by using arms or floating.

comet24
03-10-2008, 19:40
The swim can be very hard if your stroke is not efficient. I really suggest finding a friend or someone at the shop your working with that knows strokes. Have them take a look at your stroke and give you some hints. In every class I DM with it amazing how much work some poeple put forth and go nowhere in the water. Just a little help can go a long way. It may not make you a world class swimmer but it can help your times.

DivingCRNA
03-10-2008, 21:20
OK, I am done pouting now and have a strategy. I have the new stiff Aqualung fins, which I wanted anyway.

I also have discovered that I can put on my drysuit boots over bare feet and put on my XL Scubapro Jet fins! If they are loose, I have a pair of thin booties to simulate the effect of my drysuit inside the boots.

Tomorrow I am going to the pool to work on form for the 800 and try out my new Aqualung fins vs. the Jets. The main point could be the weight of the Jets. They are MUCH heavier than the Flex 2s.

A agree about the tow and the split fins. I had the splits on for Rescue diver and it was a bitch towing the fat dude I had to rescue ALL DAY.

BTW-We do have a petite girl lined up for the tired diver tow... :) And a little tank for her to wear :)

I will also try to make the turns in arcs. I was grabbing the wall and kicking off on Saturday, but lost a lot of momentum doing it.

Fins, boots, and stopwatch are all in the bag so I can go right after work!

Soonerwink
03-10-2008, 21:24
Thanks for sharing your DM experience with us. Please continue so we can see how this ends. I am just starting my DM, I just finished the 1st chapter in the manual. Classroom and pool sessions start first weekend in May. I hope to have the manual completed be then. It would be a lot easier if I could just stay away from this forum. I'm addicted.

cummings66
03-10-2008, 21:44
Reading the standards for DM I can see you've got some work cut out for you. You're young enough that I bet with good form you could do it.

I will be swimming 800 yards tomorrow night. I do that during my daughters swim lessons every week, but not for time. I swim it for form and sometimes go as slow as I can to improve it. You might try that in a practice session or two, feel the water and how it reacts to you as you go as slow as you can. Just like diving stay horizontal, plunge the arms into the water at whatever angle you need to keep your legs up higher. One arm should be outstretched, probably pointed somewhat down to balance your body. Use your bodies natural roll to give power to your stroke and you'll use less energy. Use your fists instead of hands and you'll find it's harder to swim, but it will make you more efficient because you'll soon see what it takes to move forwards in the water.

With fins you'll work leg muscles that don't get worked, and to be honest swimming with fins is harder than without so I can see you getting sore in the 800 with the timings they have.

For all I know you know all those tips, if not maybe they'll help you, or others.

cgvmer
03-11-2008, 06:47
I will be doing the internship route.....

From your original Post what other option is their other than internship?

caroln
03-13-2008, 12:08
From your original Post what other option is their other than internship?

You can do a 'practical' option instead where basically people pretend to be students and you assist them rather than assisting in a real life situation.

pnevai
03-16-2008, 17:23
The water skills are tough, even toughter in the NAUI program where you do not get these points trade offs. You have to rememberr that people have been required to pass these requirements before the super duper fin technology. When I took my NAUI instructors course you had the choice f 3 types of fins. The rocket type, the force fin and different versions of the basic paddle fin. I used Wanoka fins with the blade stiffening inserts. (Basic paddle type)

The key is conditioning, and energy management. Use a watch, This works well if your water skills are conducted in a pool, If you are taking your water skills in the open ocean, like I did, well then you will just have to play it by ear.

The only thing that will markedly improve your in water performance is swimming and the treadmill.

Dark Wolf
03-16-2008, 17:27
Thanks for sharing your journey, CRNA. Good luck!

DW

DivingCRNA
03-16-2008, 17:29
Ok guys, I spent 2 1/2 hours (was supposed to be 3, but the Y cut us short) in the pool today. I got a bunch done.

-10 of my skills are done.

-Equipment exchange is done, thanks to a GREAT partner. The girl does not breath. I am not going to give much insight on this because it IS a problem solving exercise. I will say that it took 2 tries. The first was because I was short of breath and messed up buddy breathing before we even started.
We also barely made it because of poor planning...

I did a 3:13 on my tired diver tow. That was 3 points and just 13 seconds short of 4 points. I now have a total of 9 swim test points and need 12. I need to not screw up the float tread to gain 2 points for 11 and then either knock 13 seconds off of the tired diver tow, 36 seconds off my 800 yd M/S/F, 5 1/2 minutes off my 400 yd swim to get to 12 points.

I am going to redo the M/S/F and float because they do not involve hauling all my gear to the pool and messing up time in another pool session. I am sure I can knock 36 seconds off the M/S/F with my new longer, stiffer fins. They helped on the tow.

We (the other DMC and I) also completed our Divemaster conducted programs requirement. We did a SCUBA review.

So, I was really down on whether or not I would make it and now I am feeling better with some skills done, the gear exchange done, which gave me a lot of anxiety, and the DM conducted program done. I was also critically bummed about the swim test, but now feel like it is within reach.

In 2 weeks I will be at Oronogo doing my "Supervising Certified Divers" and some Open Water Continuing Education work.

So, progress is being made. I may even get done in time to do Deep Tec this fall.

DivingCRNA
03-16-2008, 17:35
The water skills are tough, even toughter in the NAUI program where you do not get these points trade offs. You have to rememberr that people have been required to pass these requirements before the super duper fin technology. When I took my NAUI instructors course you had the choice f 3 types of fins. The rocket type, the force fin and different versions of the basic paddle fin. I used Wanoka fins with the blade stiffening inserts. (Basic paddle type)

The key is conditioning, and energy management. Use a watch, This works well if your water skills are conducted in a pool, If you are taking your water skills in the open ocean, like I did, well then you will just have to play it by ear.

The only thing that will markedly improve your in water performance is swimming and the treadmill.

Thanks for the info. PADI now REQUIRES the swim tests be done in a pool. To do the 800 yard M/S/F I have to do 31 turns. That makes it really hard. I had to do 3 turns towing an inert diver today. I think I have improved my turn technique today too.

I ditched the split fins and got a set of light, long, stiff blades.

I will wear a watch for my redos. I think it will help a lot.

BTW-I run outside for conditioning. I think my technique was bad the first time.

Dark Wolf
03-16-2008, 17:41
Congrats, and way to go!

As a dive buddy you are top shelf, and no doubt will be a great DM. You have the drive and the intelligence to do anything you want to in diving, and I wish you luck.

Humbling experiences make for a first rate education, and will serve you MUCH better than the "gazelles" that breeze through class. I have seen this in the service and later in "real" life. Sounds like you are doing fine.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

DW

DivingCRNA
03-16-2008, 17:44
Congrats, and way to go!

As a dive buddy you are top shelf, and no doubt will be a great DM. You have the drive and the intelligence to do anything you want to in diving, and I wish you luck.

Humbling experiences make for a first rate education, and will serve you MUCH better than the "gazelles" that breeze through class. I have seen this in the service and later in "real" life. Sounds like you are doing fine.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

DW

Thanks, man. :smiley9:

plot
03-16-2008, 17:56
What are you gonna do once you reach DM? Go for instructor?

DivingCRNA
03-16-2008, 21:37
What are you gonna do once you reach DM? Go for instructor?

Help out instructors as a DM....

I have no desire to go to IDC.

johnyringo
03-17-2008, 01:17
My advice concerning the swimming is to...swim, I know, sounds simple, and it is. Prior to a recent dive trip I did laps in the pool with fins and mask. Every day, sometimes 3 times a day I'd hit the pool and do laps, just kicking or working on technique. I'm in good physical condition anyway and do dive work, though it can be fairly sedentary at times, it helps to tone up the "water muscles". On my first dive of the trip I noticed a BIG difference in my overall feeling of control, and air consumption. I used less air than my wife, who's never used much air , I don't even know why she puts the damned tanks on!

Congrats!

CODMAN
03-26-2008, 07:24
CRNA, I just finnished up my DM course (still have a bit of mapping to do), so hang in there! Being a crappy swimmer also, but physically fit, may I try to add my advice to help with your swim tests?

For the 400... Swimming is a very technical sport! Lowsy technique, combined with exceptional physical form, still means you get nowhere!!!!! Find a swim coach (or lifeguard who knows a bit about swimming technique) and ask him for tips! If possible, have him look at you swim a bit so he can give you basic corrections! Then work on putting those corrections into practice and doing more laps. You,ll be amazed at the improvement good form can make on your swimming times!

For the 800... 2 things that will make you much faster (I know, I tested them!). 1- Point your arms in front of you as you snorkel! Don't swim with them (not allowed). Just straight out, and joint your hands in the front (I catually point my hands foreward; I don,t really join them). This is much more hydrodynamic!!!!! With your arms back, your shoulders are dragging terribly in the water! 2- Keep your face looking down at the bottom of the pool most of the time (except when nearing a turn). With your face foreward, your head is turned up, and this increases drag. Face down, means head straight and is more hydrodynamic. I guarantee you will see the difference in your times!

This, and practice practice practice!!!! You'll make it!

Cheers!:smiley20:

DivingCRNA
04-07-2008, 16:56
I have knocked out a bunch in the last 2 days.

I supervised certified divers yesterday. They were ST's own Brandon Belew and Navyhmc. They came very prepared and executed the dive to the Lincoln diver's sign without incident.

I also did 3 of my open water continuing education experiences with Dark Wolf. He did the navigation, multilevel, and search and recovery dives for his AOW. DW is now AOW! We let him get by, even though he got lost on his multilevel dive...:smilie39::smiley36:

AND I just finished my mapping project. I just need to turn it in. I have one OW continuing ed, all the confined water and the OW diver course left. and passing the swim tests....

So I feel good that progress is getting made.

It may be a bit before more is made because I am sending my dry suit in for repair before I lose a seal in the water... It will take 2 weeks. Also, yesterday convinced me that if I am gonna DM much around here-I NEED A PEE VALVE! I can do pool stuff without a dry suit, though!

UCFKnightDiver
04-07-2008, 17:22
congrats CRNA

Dark Wolf
04-07-2008, 18:54
What the H**L? I knew EXACTLY where I was!!! :)

Good times!

DW

DivingCRNA
04-07-2008, 21:13
What the H**L? I knew EXACTLY where I was!!! :)

Good times!

DW

No one else did though!:smilie39::smilie39:

You did manage to find us again in 5 foot vis...:smiley32::smiley32:

navyhmc
04-07-2008, 22:17
Glad to be of help. I still wanted to be the difficult diver, but I just didn't have the heart to do it... :D

Here's hoping things are done soon.

DiveSooner
04-10-2008, 20:15
CR, you gonna take a breather before IDC, or just keep on swimming?

DivingCRNA
04-10-2008, 22:20
Just say no to IDC...

DollFin
04-11-2008, 00:14
Just say no to IDC...

Ask Laura about her experience if you ever get back there. 'Tweren't pretty.

DiveSooner
04-11-2008, 10:40
I still haven't made up my mind. I enjoy instructing, but I plan on waiting a while before proceeding to IDC. Time will tell.

mm2002
04-14-2008, 14:09
I assume that IDC is very tough?

DivingCRNA
04-14-2008, 14:11
I assume that IDC is very tough?

Well, I hear it is. But that is not why I do not want to do it.

The main reason is that I do not WANT to be an instructor. DM is fine by me.

DivingCRNA
09-01-2008, 18:25
Well, I finally made some more progress. I turned in my map a month ago, too. I spent all weekend helping with an OW class and finished out my internship stuff.

It was fun to take them through all the skills and OW dives. I am tired, though.

All that is left is the rescue demo, 10 skills demos and passing the swim test. I should be able to kill it all off in one pool session, if I can get my instructor in there.

mm2002
09-01-2008, 20:19
Wow man, it's been a long journey huh! I too am getting ready to start the journey, but I was told I should be able to knock it out in a few weeks. I take it that's not usually the case?

dannybot
03-13-2009, 22:31
Well, I finally made some more progress. I turned in my map a month ago, too. I spent all weekend helping with an OW class and finished out my internship stuff.

It was fun to take them through all the skills and OW dives. I am tired, though.

All that is left is the rescue demo, 10 skills demos and passing the swim test. I should be able to kill it all off in one pool session, if I can get my instructor in there.

I'm on the edge of my seat. Did you finish??

mitsuguy
03-14-2009, 03:44
I still haven't made up my mind. I enjoy instructing, but I plan on waiting a while before proceeding to IDC. Time will tell.

It's not necessary to wait after divemaster if you truly enjoy teaching... My wife and I are doing our IDC right now - just finished divemaster in January and this is great! The teaching styles that PADI gives to you are excellent and the whole thing is just very conducive to learning.

Obviously you will have different experiences depending on where you were to do your IDC, but this whole thing is just excellent here. Course structure is well thought out, assignments are clear and concise, and the information is stuff you probably already know once you've finished divemaster, just now you are learning to teach it to others versus doing it yourself...

scubasamurai
03-17-2009, 13:50
myself i was going to wait and enjoy the fruits of my labor after passing that DM course. my instructor said that the dm book work and tests are the hardest in padi, after that it is pretty easy. well no sooner after finishing my dm and getting my card, the course director came up to me and said he was doing a weekend idc course and would like me to join in, well couldn't refuse so now i am working towards my instructor level, a natural progression of events. i also heard it is alot easier if you do it sooner after your dm course then later, something about retention, i think, not too sure, wait, yeah thats it retention. anyway enjoy

DivingCRNA
04-04-2009, 18:17
I PASSED MY SWIMS TODAY! I AM SO CLOSE I CAN TASTE IT. Rescue eval, 9 skills, and first aid.

WOO HOO!!! I thought I would never pass.

Sansho
04-04-2009, 18:24
Congrats! It's always a great feeling to pass a milestone.

mm2002
04-04-2009, 18:44
Congrats! It's always a great feeling to pass a milestone.

Heck yeah....much better than passing a kidney stone!

Just kidding DivingCRNA (couldn't resist), congrats man, good job! :smiley20:

gNats
04-05-2009, 05:48
I PASSED MY SWIMS TODAY! I AM SO CLOSE I CAN TASTE IT. Rescue eval, 9 skills, and first aid.

WOO HOO!!! I thought I would never pass.

Congrats on your huge accomplishment.

neogeo
04-28-2009, 20:25
Congrats Don your hard work will pay off very soon!

DivingCRNA
07-11-2009, 18:49
Well, 3 months ago my whole life got turned upside down by divorce. I was on a little hiatus from the DM thing. That changed today.

I finished my demonstration quality skills demos today and did the Rescue Demo.

All that is left is CPR and First Aid and I am a Dive Master.:smiley20: :D

Wow does that make me happy! Tec Deep is next on the plate.

neogeo
07-11-2009, 18:55
All that is left is CPR and First Aid and I am a Dive Master.:smiley20: :D

Might be a bit difficult for you... knowing your profession and all!! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Seriously Congrats!

Taking my tech class in the winter/spring with john

mm2002
07-11-2009, 19:20
Awesome man! I know we've been on touch, and neither of us has had the easy way.....you're doing it though! That just rocks! :smiley20: Congrats!

navyhmc
07-11-2009, 19:41
CPR and first aid??? Shirley you're kidding????

Congrats Don!

bsktcase93
07-11-2009, 21:20
Nice Job Congrats IM SURE THAT WILL BE TOUGH FOR YOU

DivingCRNA
07-13-2009, 16:31
Tomorrow night should be the night I finish. I am pretty stoked about it.

I like to complete goals!

mm2002
07-13-2009, 19:08
Awesome brother! I'm jealous though, but we'll put that aside. Congrats! :smiley20:

DivingCRNA
07-15-2009, 11:22
Woot!

It is all done but the paperwork! Finished up last night. I am a DM :-D

gNats
07-15-2009, 11:26
Wooo Hoooo! I am very happy for you CRNA!

Way to GO!

fire diver
07-15-2009, 12:34
Congrats CRNA!

This means that you are leading the next dives at Oronogo right?

DMWiz
07-15-2009, 13:16
Did they show you the secret handshake yet?

Conga - rats!

plot
07-15-2009, 18:29
Congrats.

So... was it worth it?

navyhmc
07-15-2009, 18:34
Sniff...And to think, I knew him when he was just a Rescue diver. I'm so proud!

Congrats Don!!!

mrmccoy
07-15-2009, 18:47
Congrats! So do you have a DM job or sidejob lined up?

DivingCRNA
07-15-2009, 19:06

DMing for my instructor. That is about it. Maybe a couple others. I do not want to DM for a shop and have to replace my gear.......

I did learn a lot.

mrmccoy
07-15-2009, 19:43

DMing for my instructor. That is about it. Maybe a couple others. I do not want to DM for a shop and have to replace my gear.......

I did learn a lot.

Why would you have to replace your gear? don't tell me your one of those BP/W guys.......:smiley36: just messin with ya! I assume it would be to match te shops gear?

navyhmc
07-15-2009, 23:10
Actually, they'd probably want Don to give up his BP/W and doubles...

mm_dm
07-16-2009, 20:10

DMing for my instructor. That is about it. Maybe a couple others. I do not want to DM for a shop and have to replace my gear.....

Not to mention all those wonderful dive shop head games...

DivingCRNA
07-17-2009, 09:20

I did learn a lot.

Why would you have to replace your gear? don't tell me your one of those BP/W guys.......:smiley36: just messin with ya! I assume it would be to match te shops gear?

I am a BP/W and doubles guy. I also have a single tank, help the newbs set-up.

I do not want to buy new gear just to match a shop. I buy what I have because it is best for me. I am not a walking billboard.

mm2002
07-17-2009, 18:59
I do not want to buy new gear just to match a shop. I buy what I have because it is best for me. I am not a walking billboard.

Amen brother. :smiley20:

navyhmc
07-17-2009, 21:00
You go Don!

Lulubelle
07-18-2009, 17:29
Congrats to you Don, I'm sure you were sweating the CPR and first aid requirements.

mm2002
07-18-2009, 18:47
Congrats to you Don, I'm sure you were sweating the CPR and first aid requirements.

Ding ding ding! I caught that one Sis! :smiley36:
Again, congrats Don....I know what you've been through the last year or so. I'm glad to see you fulfilling your dream. I'm next! :smiley20:

clayton
07-18-2009, 21:08
Congrats Don hope to see you next weekend.

DivingCRNA
08-18-2009, 18:57
It took from 7.15.09 to 8.18.09 for my paperwork to get done. First the CPR and First Aid had to be processed, then the DM submitted. Mailed CPR stuff 7.16.09 and got number back 7.22.09 Mailed DM form on 7.25.09. Get the stuff in the mail today, 8.18.09.

For those looking for processing times.

namabiru
08-18-2009, 22:59
I wish PADI International were as efficient. We sent the EFR paperwork off at the end of July, and are STILL waiting on a number. I'm thinking when my instructor gets back from Thailand next week that it's time to start ringing instead of e-mailing. Daily.

sea princess
09-10-2009, 10:35
Congrats on finishing your DM. I really enjoyed reading your journaling of your honest experience. I just signed up to take the DM class and am a bit overwhelmed by all the requirements but i love to learn and am up for the challenge. Thanks again for sharing!

mm2002
09-10-2009, 17:52
Many congrats bro! I know what you've been through. I'm currently in the process myself, and there's lot's to do. My hat's off to ya brutha! :smiley20: