PDA

View Full Version : Ikelite housing question and buoyancy

thor
01-11-2008, 09:50
Just bought a G9 housing and was wondering if it is positive, neutral or negative? The manual says slightly negative. Also do I need to compensate at all by adding or shedding weight to me, or to the camera.

navyhmc
01-11-2008, 22:27
Do a test: Put your camera in it and set it up as you would for a dive, fill the tub with water and set it in it. if it floats, add weight, if it sinks...make extra sure you have a good lanyard on it when you dive.

On the weight issue, I have noted that most U/W photogs like to have the camera near neutral if not a littel heavy so they add weight to the camera itself. I have seen some that do their darndest to have them balanced too.

Puffer Fish
01-11-2008, 23:26
Do a test: Put your camera in it and set it up as you would for a dive, fill the tub with water and set it in it. if it floats, add weight, if it sinks...make extra sure you have a good lanyard on it when you dive.

On the weight issue, I have noted that most U/W photogs like to have the camera near neutral if not a littel heavy so they add weight to the camera itself. I have seen some that do their darndest to have them balanced too.
Yea, I know several that do, but keep in mind salt water versus fresh, if it floats in fresh, it will really float in salt water.

I like mine just a little light... so if I want to do something with my hands, I can clip off and it will float out of the way....and if I ever let go of it (don't plan on doing they, by the way) at least there is a chance I could find it.

I do have an adjustable weight plate that screws into the tripod mount and has another mount on the bottom, but don't use it.

As far as the amount... usually trivial, or less than a lb, so I would not worry about it.

One thing you do not want is it twisting from wanting to sink or float, so be careful about that.

Puffer Fish
01-11-2008, 23:27
Oh, and congrats on the camera and housing... get out there and have some fun now.

robcomptec
02-29-2008, 14:39
Just bought a G9 housing and was wondering if it is positive, neutral or negative? The manual says slightly negative. Also do I need to compensate at all by adding or shedding weight to me, or to the camera.

It is negatively buoyant (slightly). This means it will sink, but it won't sink fast. I have an Ikelite case for my camera. With the camera in case, it will sink. I don't change my diving weight around because it is such a small net difference in bouyancy.

- Robert

CompuDude
02-29-2008, 14:57
I have yet to see any Ikelite housing that floats. Sometimes, in fact, rigs get so heavy people need to attach foam to get it a little more neutral.

Don't change your weighting. It's possible to set a camera down, in which case, you just ditched some weight. (probably not enough to matter, but that leads to the same conclusion: no change needed)

rfb3
02-29-2008, 14:59
My Ikelite housing and strobe is about -2lbs...