PDA

View Full Version : Mares Sapphfire vs Pinnacle Merino?

Scoobidoo
01-11-2008, 16:42
I'm looking for a 5mm suit and tossing between getting a Mares which has a "plush" Sapphfire lining and a Pinnacle which has the merino lining.

All I can find is that the merino layer helps insulate better and dries quicker too. How does the Mare's plushy sapphfire compare to merino?

Any advise welcome! Thanks guys.

Puffer Fish
01-12-2008, 15:28
I'm looking for a 5mm suit and tossing between getting a Mares which has a "plush" Sapphfire lining and a Pinnacle which has the merino lining.

All I can find is that the merino layer helps insulate better and dries quicker too. How does the Mare's plushy sapphfire compare to merino?

Any advise welcome! Thanks guys.
I have not put on a Mare's with that lining, but my wife has a suit with that material on the inside. I do have a merino suit though. I think it dries faster... as far as I can tell.

First off, the merino is very nice... is it warmer? I doubt it, and if it is, it is just warmer than some other lining...(Merino is 3x warmer than ___lining does not mean the suit is 3x warmer).

However, I find the merino easy to slide on, and they make one durable suit....all things equal, I would go with a Pinnacle...I like the tough outside nylon, but they don't seem to advert. that aspect.