PDA

View Full Version : Travel Hangers

Judestudio
07-27-2007, 01:51
Has anyone used or know anything about this XS Scuba travel hanger? Seems like a good idea. It folds up to a compact size.

Wetsuit Hanger:
http://www.xsscuba.com/graphics/icons/product_guide/icon_ac530.jpg

BC Hanger:
http://www.xsscuba.com/graphics/icons/product_guide/icon_ac520.jpg

medic001918
07-27-2007, 08:16
I've never used them, but I did check them out at a LDS here and they didn't look too bad. It's a good idea for travel I suppose. I ended up buying the non-travel ones, but that's only because they're permanently on a gear rack in my basement. So there was no need to have them fold. If you do travel regularly, I could see them being a worthwhile investment.

Shane

tx.lakerat
07-27-2007, 08:32
I haven't seen them before but they look (by your pictures) to be ok..

CompuDude
07-27-2007, 12:52
Has anyone used or know anything about this XS Scuba travel hanger? Seems like a good idea. It folds up to a compact size.

Wetsuit Hanger:
http://www.xsscuba.com/graphics/icons/product_guide/icon_ac530.jpg

BC Hanger:
http://www.xsscuba.com/graphics/icons/product_guide/icon_ac520.jpg

I have both. I also have the UK ones (non-folding).

I'll tell you what I like and don't like about each.

XS (folding):
[Good] The rotating hanger hook rocks. Allows me to hang stuff off a door, or off the top of my shower door for handing gear to dry. The little accessory hooks were handy. Once.
[Bad] While quite strong, I don't think they're as strong as the UK hangers, which are inherently stronger, being all one piece. Also, the folding option seems like it saves space on paper, but in reality it just changes the shape. I actually find it easier to pack the UK ones, which lay flatter.

UK (non-folding):
[Good] Strong as h***. Built like a freaking tank. They'll likely outlive me. Lies flat for packing, without extra stuff sticking out.
[Bad] The hook is very strong, but thick, so unlike a regular clothes hanger, it's really impossible to hang these parallel to a wall/door/whatever by hooking at a an angle. You really need a hook or a rod to hang them off of. Not possible to hang off a standard door, as a result, or along the top rail of my shower (unless it can hang perpendicular).

techgnostic
07-27-2007, 13:17
Strength and durability are the only things that matter, especially traveling (if it breaks, you are screwed). Any thing that collapes is in greater danger of breaking.

picxie
07-28-2007, 19:30
I was going to get one of the collapsable ones for travel purposes but ended up getting a non-collapsable one instead, mainly because of the strength of them and because I was going to be using them at home, I wanted something that would last. I have travelled with the non-collapsable hanger with no problems - lies flat and can fit on top or at the side of a bag. However as someone else has pointed out, the hook is thick and won't hang up easily if you can't have it hanging free (eg, it won't easily hang from a door).

CompuDude
07-30-2007, 13:17
I was going to get one of the collapsable ones for travel purposes but ended up getting a non-collapsable one instead, mainly because of the strength of them and because I was going to be using them at home, I wanted something that would last. I have travelled with the non-collapsable hanger with no problems - lies flat and can fit on top or at the side of a bag. However as someone else has pointed out, the hook is thick and won't hang up easily if you can't have it hanging free (eg, it won't easily hang from a door).
I always hang my hood off the shower head, both at home and while traveling. (shower head through the face hole)

Never needed a custom hanger for it.

I'm happy I have both, but as I said, I actually prefer to travel with the non-folding ones because they really seem to take less space.

thor
07-30-2007, 14:04
I looked at this at LP (they have it in the store on display). It was much sturdier than I thought it would be. I wasn't going to buy it b/c I don't have problems packing the flat ones, but the more I think about it, the rotating hanger will come in handy at hotels.

guggie
08-01-2007, 18:54
How much room does a non-folding hanger take up in your luggage? They pack flat. I can't see the purpose for one of these folding ones. I just bring my regular XS hangers along.

Wolfie2012
08-01-2007, 19:19
I dunno, I have enough trouble with weight & space requirements packing all my stuff for a trip, don't think I could justify bringing along hangers too!

techgnostic
08-02-2007, 19:52
I dunno, I have enough trouble with weight & space requirements packing all my stuff for a trip, don't think I could justify bringing along hangers too!

Easy enough to improvise something. Nice photos BTW. The wrecks looked shallow enough to see them well. I tried to google the fish, but no clear matches.

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 20:44
Easy enough to improvise something. Nice photos BTW. The wrecks looked shallow enough to see them well. I tried to google the fish, but no clear matches.

Thanks! :) Those wrecks were at about 70fsw. Vis was pretty good that week! One of these days I'll figure out what that fish is....

tbush
08-03-2007, 10:08
Are they sturdy enouph? I load my hanger down with serious weight.

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 10:16
No way to determine "enough". They're pretty darned sturdy, though. The non-folding ones are just sturdier. And pack better, ironically. (IMO)

techgnostic
08-03-2007, 19:28

Thanks! :) Those wrecks were at about 70fsw. Vis was pretty good that week! One of these days I'll figure out what that fish is....

Thanks, and good luck on the fishie.

Damselfish
08-06-2007, 15:42
I'm always trying to reduce luggage size and weight and have never found a need to pack special bulky hangers. Lots of ops I go to have drying areas for wetsuits with decent hangers, and I'm not worried about drying anything else during the trip. For hanging a light wetsuit in the room this isn't bad and much more compact - http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=257&PRODID=63697.
When drying gear in my room to pack it usually gets draped over chairs and tables on the patio or balcony which works fine. On a liveaboard everybody straps gear to the railings on the sundeck for drying at the end. Those braided stretchy clotheslines come in handy for smaller stuff, bathing suits, etc., no clips needed.