PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Olympus E410

whse56
01-12-2008, 11:19
I'm looking for an upgrade from my Sony point and shoot underwater setup.
Wondering if anyone has tryed or uses the Olympus E410 with the PT-E03 underwater case. If so what lens and what are your thoughts/ impressions of the camera and the pictures you can take. Are the controls easy to operate underwater? Thanks

whse56
02-01-2008, 19:46
Guess no one uses this camera.

Aussie
02-02-2008, 03:52
I'm looking for an upgrade from my Sony point and shoot underwater setup.
Wondering if anyone has tryed or uses the Olympus E410 with the PT-E03 underwater case. If so what lens and what are your thoughts/ impressions of the camera and the pictures you can take. Are the controls easy to operate underwater? Thanks

I had a play with one when the Olympus had a trial day over here. The body is small when compared to my Nikon D80 (maybe 2/3s the size).

I dont like any of the Olympus housing and I find them a expensive for the quality you get. My friend has the Olympus E330 with the Olympus housing setup. I compared her E-330 with olympus housing and my Nikon D80 with Ikelite and I believe there is a big difference in quality at basically the same cost.

The live view feature wasn't up to my expectations and was never really used. The quality of the image on the LCD screen doesnt compare with through the view finder.

If you can get the chance compare maybe compare the E410 setup with something like Nikon/Canon with Ikelite housing.

Aussie

whse56
02-02-2008, 09:20
Thanks Aussie, that's what I was looking for somebody that had handled one. I'll start looking at other models.

Aussie
02-02-2008, 17:53
Thanks Aussie, that's what I was looking for somebody that had handled one. I'll start looking at other models.

Compare the e-410 against say the Nikon D80 or Canon 400d. If your on a budget maybe even the Nikon D40x.

Spend the money on good lenses. Especially full frame lenses (non digital lenses). The idea is that full frame lenses will be suited to Full frame sensors when they come more available in the next few years. The DX (digital) lens suit the smaller frame of the current sensors but will not suit the full frame sensors.

If you spend the money on good quality lenses you will probably wont even have to need to upgrade them in years to come. As for the bodies you will be looking at maybe every 3-4 years depending on your budget.

I personally would look at Nikon and Canon and compare the models in your price range.

Hope this helps.

Aussie

whse56
02-02-2008, 22:44
Good point, I learned years ago that you were always money ahead to buy quality lenses. I haven't been into SLR's since the good old film days so now I have to relearn what with the digital age taking over. I didn't know about the full frame sensors coming onto the scene. Live and learn that's what makes the world fun to live in.

Aussie
02-03-2008, 00:09
Good point, I learned years ago that you were always money ahead to buy quality lenses. I haven't been into SLR's since the good old film days so now I have to relearn what with the digital age taking over. I didn't know about the full frame sensors coming onto the scene. Live and learn that's what makes the world fun to live in.

If you have a collection of quality lenses already I would stick with that brand. Some people believe that it has to be brand new to be the best but often the case with optics the old versions are of a much higher quality.

The full frame sensors are in the top of the range Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III. I would be expecting them in a more affordable consumer based setup in 3-4 years.

Aussie

whse56
02-03-2008, 09:48
I'm a fan of the Canon products line. My SLR is a Canon A1, I bought it when they first came out, it's a great camera. The lenses I bought are the older manual style and I'm sure they would work on a newer canon but do they make a housing that allows you to use the manual focus lenses?

RoyN
02-04-2008, 10:43
Saw someone had the Olympus E410, but didn't get in time to ask him as he left though.

Aussie
02-05-2008, 06:37
I'm a fan of the Canon products line. My SLR is a Canon A1, I bought it when they first came out, it's a great camera. The lenses I bought are the older manual style and I'm sure they would work on a newer canon but do they make a housing that allows you to use the manual focus lenses?

Ikelite make manual focus ports for their housings. They work by having a ring attach around the lens. They dont work on the push and pull type tho. The manual ports are a little more expensive but I bought them so If i wanted to go fully manual I could.

List some of the lens you have and i can se if they are suited or not.

Cheers Aussie