PDA

View Full Version : How Deep Do You Go?

snagel
01-12-2008, 12:35
Is this a loaded question or what? Friday, I wore a dive shirt into work (dress down day). As I walked through the factory I was stopped by many people each asking the same questions. "You a scuba diver?" Followed by, "How deep do you Go?" I must have been stopped by at least 10 people reciting the exact same questions. Initially, I tried to explain that it's not about how deep you go, it's what you see. After several encounters, I simply responded about 50-60 feet typically maybe up to 100 and went about my way.

It's odd that those that don't dive equate diving to the depths of the ocean and forget or don't realize that there is a whole 'nother world.

S. Nagel

marchand
01-12-2008, 13:17
When people ask me that I say "a couple thousand feet." you should see their faces.

teknitroxdiver
01-12-2008, 13:32
"all the way to the bottom"

cummings66
01-12-2008, 14:10
I've always said it depends.

Zenagirl
01-12-2008, 17:31
I usually say it depends where I'm diving how deep I go. ;)

thesmoothdome
01-12-2008, 19:13
It's hard for people to fathom (pun intended) depth in relation to diving. 10 feet sounds deep to most people and 100 feet sounds just absurd. I usually just stick to the old "the recreational limit is 130 feet" line.

Tom A
01-12-2008, 19:55
i tell them them that that the max is 132 ft no deeper

mitchy
01-13-2008, 07:20
"all the way to the bottom"

My line too.

Matt P
01-13-2008, 08:01
I think people are just curious and are looking for some way to relate to the experience of diving. I also think that a majority of the population has had at least one fleeting moment where they thought diving might be fun. This question allows them to take another mental step in the process. They ask the questions and use the response to determine whether they still think diving might be fun..."someday."

Usually question #2 is, "have you ever seen a shark?"

Followed by the comment, "I've always wanted to try diving."

snagel
01-13-2008, 08:18
yep, the shark question comes up alot also. When I hear, "I've always wanted to try scuba", I say, why don't you.

Queen
01-13-2008, 08:32
I think people are just curious and are looking for some way to relate to the experience of diving. I also think that a majority of the population has had at least one fleeting moment where they thought diving might be fun. This question allows them to take another mental step in the process. They ask the questions and use the response to determine whether they still think diving might be fun..."someday."

Usually question #2 is, "have you ever seen a shark?"

Followed by the comment, "I've always wanted to try diving."

I think you're right, so many people have diving on their "I've always wanted to do that" list. I usually tell them how to make it happen and then tell them to go for it. I think they start to believe it's doable when they realize they're talking to a plump middle aged woman who does it. :icon_smile_wink:

snagel
01-13-2008, 09:17
It's hard for people to fathom (pun intended) depth in relation to diving. 10 feet sounds deep to most people and 100 feet sounds just absurd. I usually just stick to the old "the recreational limit is 130 feet" line.

I think you are absolutely correct. Before diving the "deep end of the pool" was always about 10 feet and I too regarded 10 feet as deep in water. This is what most people relate to. So, when you tell them you go deeper they relate this as crazy.

S. Nagel

texdiveguy
01-13-2008, 10:01
It nice folks are curious about our sport....not many people have ever scuba dove or will....so they find it interesting I think to ask questions like 'how deep' and 'whats it like'.

scubajane
01-13-2008, 13:46
on one of my early dives (at catfish hotel in florida) the surface was covered with duck weed. we came our of the water and 5 young boys age 8-14 were watching and gasping. one of them got up the nerve to speak to us and asked 'how deep?' then 'what did you see?' then 'Oh how cool' we lumbered out and they peppered us with more questions. we really enjoyed their enthusiasm only later when we checked out our pictures did we realize that we looked like creatures from the black lagoon!! we were covered in duck weed and dressed in black neoprene must have been quite a sight for those young boys!! by the way duck weed looks like teeny tiny 4 leaf clovers but there were millions and millions of them. it took about 10 more dives complete with washing and rinsing gear to get rid of all the duck weed.

whse56
01-13-2008, 13:56
The first question is how deep and usually followed by doesn't the pressure bother you?