PDA

View Full Version : 1st time diving FL. where to go?

aowdiver07
01-13-2008, 12:53
I might be headed to Largo, Fl. in March, Where should I head to do some diving? I think I'd like to do some freshwater springs. I'm AOW and will be diving alone, any places to go where I could find a buddy on site? How about a LDS and some trips where I wouldn't have to worry about that? Thanks, Jimmy.

Dive-aholic
01-14-2008, 06:46
I'm in north Florida, so I can't advise you on diving around Largo. But I can tell you you'll have to drive about 8 hours to get to the closest OW friendly springs. Check out my website (in my sig line) for information on diving in the springs.

aowdiver07
01-14-2008, 07:07
On the internet I came across a couple, Ginnie springs being one of them. I thought that most of the springs were in central Fl.? I will be in Largo (not Key Largo) which is by Tampa. 8 hours is much too far if you are correct. Thanks for the info.

NitroWill
01-14-2008, 08:06
Crystal River/Rainbow River are probably within 100 miles of you. Other springs like Ginnie, Alexander, Blue Grotto, etc are probably all in the 150-200+ mile range from you. Most of the springs are in the North region of Florida.

johnod
01-14-2008, 08:11
Yeah Crystal and Rainbow river are both good places to dive. The Manatees should still be in Crystal River. Ginnie springs is all right but more of a been there done that kind of place.

Puffer Fish
01-14-2008, 08:45
I might be headed to Largo, Fl. in March, Where should I head to do some diving? I think I'd like to do some freshwater springs. I'm AOW and will be diving alone, any places to go where I could find a buddy on site? How about a LDS and some trips where I wouldn't have to worry about that? Thanks, Jimmy.

If you don't take a trip over to the Fort Lauderdale area and go diving, you are missing some fun stuff.

Also, you should do the fort Meyer shark teeth thing... I find it boring, but people love it.

Just need to hook up with some of the groups diving both of those places.. will send PM tonight.

terrillja
01-14-2008, 09:06
aow, when are you going? My dad and I are looking to go to Key Largo March 1-8, and had considered renting a condo.

One of the ops there has 10 dives for $250 incl tanks and weights, pretty good deal.

Just a thought.

Dive-aholic
01-14-2008, 19:43
On the internet I came across a couple, Ginnie springs being one of them. I thought that most of the springs were in central Fl.? I will be in Largo (not Key Largo) which is by Tampa. 8 hours is much too far if you are correct. Thanks for the info.

Ahhh, okay, when I saw Largo and diving I guessed the Key Largo! From Tampa, you're only a few hours from spring diving. Most of the springs are in central north Florida. You won't find many springs south of the Orlando area. The OW friendly ones are even farther north. Ginnie Springs is outside of High Springs, which will be about a 3 hour drive for you. Ginnie Springs is fun, but there isn't any OW diving there. The basin is small and shallow - less than 10' deep. Also, on a weekend you will find lots of classes going on there, but doubtful on finding a buddy after you get there.

cheebaweebie
01-15-2008, 16:39
If your going to Largo (I live in Palm Harbor 20 min N) Narcosis in Tarpon Springs rignt next to the sponge docks is a good outfit. They do gulf dives daily. My LDS is in Dunedin (Ocean Sports) is awesome. Not to sure about their trips. You may want to call. They are great people. I know the owner is out spearfishing alot. I don't ask much abot the trips becuase I use my own boat or my buddies but I have heard them talk about taking classes to the springs.
If you go to Narcosis shoot me a PM. I got an e-mail coupon from x-mas from the owner for a free fill. Every bit helps huh...

ScubaJW
01-16-2008, 12:25
Yep, agreed with some of the posts here that most of the springs are in north region of Florida. I just went to Paradise Springs last weekend - it was awesome. I loved it better than Blue Grotto and Devil's Den. If you wanted to save $, then go to Troy Springs, Alexander Springs and etc... This website should help: Florida Springs: Scuba Diving and Snorkeling in Florida Springs (http://underwaterflorida.homestead.com/springs.html)

aowdiver07
01-17-2008, 17:17
Thanks for all the input, that manatee thing sounds different. Crystal River might be a nice trip.