PDA

View Full Version : Mares X-Vision Lenses Fallout!

NitroWill
01-14-2008, 00:30
I own a Mares X-Vision mask that is less then a year old and has been maintained after every dive and stored in a hard shell container and handle carefully.

I was diving this mask this weekend and upon surfacing - both of the lenses fell free from the mask! :smiley13: The mask showed absolutely no signs of ware predive and I was appalled to see this happen to a mask. There seemed to be little to no adhesive on this mask so it is no wonder they became loose. First the cracking problem with the mask - and now this. I think it's time to find a new brand of mask. :smiley21:

TravisD
01-14-2008, 18:43
Sounds like the locking ring fell out somewhere along the way. Neither it nor the lenses are supposed to be glued in -- they're removable so you can swap in prescription lenses.

I'm on my second X-vision and keeping an eye on the cracking problem that the 1st one had. If this one fails, I have a 3rd now as a spare. If that cracks then I guess I go shopping for a new brand of mask.

cummings66
01-14-2008, 20:24
I'd be curious how on Earth that could happen, that locking ring is normally a real bear to remove, to have it come free on it's own is surprising.

NitroWill
01-14-2008, 20:36
This is my 2nd one - my first one had the cracking problem and I didnt even change the lenses! This one is less then a year old and I took excellent care of it as with all my gear. I probably will sell the warranty mask I get back from them as I have serious apprehensions about ever using this mask again - freak accident or not..

CODMAN
01-15-2008, 08:18
Not cool!:smiley21: Since you have prescription lenses, is it possible that the locking ring was not properly secured when the lenses were installed? I you had them installed by your LDS, I'd take the mask back to them and if anything was damaged, ask them to replace it. but it does sound more like "and improper" installation than a product fault... Then again, it's impossible to tell from here...:smiley5:

Not cool at all...:smiley21: Good luck!:smiley20:

This is my 2nd one - my first one had the cracking problem and I didnt even change the lenses! This one is less then a year old and I took excellent care of it as with all my gear. I probably will sell the warranty mask I get back from them as I have serious apprehensions about ever using this mask again - freak accident or not..

NitroWill
01-15-2008, 08:21
Not cool!:smiley21: Since you have prescription lenses, is it possible that the locking ring was not properly secured when the lenses were installed? I you had them installed by your LDS,

NO, I did not have contact lenses installed - the mask was completely stock!! :smiley21:

TravisD
01-15-2008, 09:00
Like the OP, my X-vision that cracked was stock -- lenses had never been out, kept in the tupperware, etc... That discussion is all here:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/mask-snorkels-fins/2566-mares-x-vision-frame-cracking.html (http://forum.scubatoys.com/../mask-snorkels-fins/2566-mares-x-vision-frame-cracking.html)

CODMAN
01-15-2008, 16:29
Nitro, I must have had a brain freeze up there for a minute because I was certain I had read that you had prescription lenzes!!!! :smiley29: I guess my cafeine levels hadn't hit their optimum levels yet! Sorry!:smilie40:

It still sounds like poor instalation, but obviously that would be the manufacturers fault (not the LDS). I'd contact them if I were you and tell them it's the second time you have problems (the Mares reps can easily be reached in the Mares section of the scubaboard forum Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (http://www.scubaboard.com/)). Give them a shout and see what they have to say, what they can do for you...

It's still not cool...:smiley21:

Not cool!:smiley21: Since you have prescription lenses, is it possible that the locking ring was not properly secured when the lenses were installed? I you had them installed by your LDS,

NO, I did not have contact lenses installed - the mask was completely stock!! :smiley21:

NitroWill
01-15-2008, 16:32
Yea, I gave them a shout on SB. I was told it was probably cause I hit or bumped it or extreme temperatures. They told me I can try and take it to my LDS and it 'might' be covered. I'm going to see if my LDS will replace it - if they do - it will be for sale on here soon

cummings66
01-15-2008, 18:19
I'm not buying it, I have 2 and that's enough. Oddly both are fine but then I don't dive with them very much because they tend to leak given my faces laugh lines.

CODMAN
01-16-2008, 08:16
Well I love mine and find it's a great mask (NO I WON'T BE BUYING YOURS!!:smilie39:), but when you're not satisfied with a product, look elsewhere!!!!:smiley20:

I hope they warranty it for you...

Yea, I gave them a shout on SB. I was told it was probably cause I hit or bumped it or extreme temperatures. They told me I can try and take it to my LDS and it 'might' be covered. I'm going to see if my LDS will replace it - if they do - it will be for sale on here soon

NitroWill
01-16-2008, 17:56
My LDS sent it off to Mares today - oddly enough, they say they have seen this happen before - so we will see what happens..

BusDiver
01-20-2008, 10:41
I was told that the cracking issue should be resolved. I guess it became an issue with enough masks that they finally are making some changes. I love my X-vision. I dive with prescription lenses and the x-vision has been the best for quality. That said I always keep a few extra masks with me when out diving. My wife refuses to dive her x-vision and uses her cressi mask.