PDA

View Full Version : Octopus hose color...

loudgonzo
07-27-2007, 10:57
Does it really matter if black or yellow? As long as you and your buddy understand procedures in an ooa situation correct?

How is your setup in this case?

mine are all black hoses...yellow octo though

TAH 73
07-27-2007, 11:00
Nope doesn't matter.

JahJahwarrior
07-27-2007, 11:04
Doesn't matter a bit. You can get several different things to cover your hoses if you wanted, about $5-$8 each I'd think. Green, pink, yellow, all sorts of colours.

CompuDude
07-27-2007, 12:04
Doesn't matter.

In a long hose setup, it can actually get weird to add color. And it's kinda silly to wrap yourself in a 7' yellow hose!

ReefHound
07-27-2007, 12:05
It might matter if you wear a long hose and want an OOA to take the primary and you will take the backup. An OOA diver may well be oblivious to color and will grab anything but if they are still in control they will go for the yellow octo.

loudgonzo
07-27-2007, 12:33
Doesn't matter.

In a long hose setup, it can actually get weird to add color. And it's kinda silly to wrap yourself in a 7' yellow hose!

What do you mean there is no such thing as "dress up and get pretty" in diving. LOL

CompuDude
07-27-2007, 12:42
What do you mean there is no such thing as "dress up and get pretty" in diving. LOL
Depends on what you consider pretty. I happen to think I look pretty sharp all geared up. :)

http://kalani.net/scuba/KPtech3_IMG_2691-sm.jpg

DirtyWaterIL
07-30-2007, 18:23
Color shoudln't matter. If you are diving with somone who isn't familiar with your gear it shoul dbe covered in the pre dive planning.

thesmoothdome
07-30-2007, 18:36
My hose has always been yellow. I've either wrapped it, or like the one I currently have, it came that way. You're buddy should know your gear configuration, so it really shouldn't be an issue, but my octo is there for anyone. If you see it and need it, grab it. Having it yellow just give them a bigger target to grab for and a reminder not to grab the black one in my mouth.

tedwhiteva
07-30-2007, 18:46
If you're diving a long hose rig, like Compudude, it doesn't matter.

If your diving with an octopus you donate, I recoomend you do use yellow. It makes it easier for your buddy to identify the hose, especilly a newer diver. In an OW class this weekend, one of the rental Regs didn't have a yellow hose (both black) and...... yep, student grabbed at wrong hose.

Don't forget if you dive with a group, aka cattle boat, it may not be your buddy asking for air.

Happy diving.

JahJahwarrior
07-30-2007, 18:49
I take it the extra mile, myself, by diving with a yellow 2nd stage in my mouth. :) Actually, I got a good deal onit. It is designed to be the octo, but it is the same reg as the non-octo version of itself, just with a yellow cover. I don't dive long hose but want to soon. Just waiting on a good deal on a long hose, and to win the lottery. :)

diverkatie
07-30-2007, 19:19
My octo hose is standard black, but it has a yellow/green striped cover on it to make it stand out. As long as it's visible, I don't know that the color matters that much. I also make sure that it stays in my octo holder (which is bright yellow) so it can be found easily, if needed.

Black-Gorrilla
07-30-2007, 19:20
i got black for me, yellow for anyone that needs it... but sure enough... in OW class (using my gear... ) we are in the pool and the instructor is going around turning off peoples air, signaling that he is out of air, etc... just for training sakes... and he turned of someones air that was near me... and they stole my reg out of my mouth... i was slightly shocked and kind of angry, but reacted ok, and used my octo.
the first time this happened though.. he turned off my air, and i stole his... so i dont blame anyone. i just think that it is good to have a yellow (or other bright color) hose to at least say "hey... im yellow take me"

comet24
07-31-2007, 06:39
Doesn't matter. Just make sure your buddy knows your gear before you get wet.

ParrotHead
07-31-2007, 08:03
The best laid plans...

I have been told that it doesn't really matter - since it should be covered in the pre-dive brief between you and your buddy. HOWEVER, I have also read plenty of postings that say that OOA divers will mug you for your primary.

That being said, I have a conventional config with all black hoses. My octo has a bright yellow purge cover.

frankc420
07-31-2007, 08:47
Doesn't matter.

Me, "Yes Sir, I need a 7' LP hose please"
Him, "Ok sir, brb."
him, "Ok here you go sir!"
--- It's yellow *eek* ---
Me, "I need a black hose!"
Him, "Black? Uhm, ok"
Me, "*snickers*"
Him, "Here you go!"
Friend, "Hey Joe (him), I'd like you to meet Frank! (me)" <-- added the him/me for the slow ppl :)