PDA

View Full Version : Booties -- Over or Under Wetsuit?

ScubaBoy
01-14-2008, 18:49
Do most of you wear your booties over or inside your wetsuit? Any advantage/disadvantage either way?

Gombessa
01-14-2008, 18:51
Booties under wetsuit. That way, when you're going forward, you're more streamlined and water is less likely to enter from the boot/wetsuit "seam."

snagel
01-14-2008, 19:10
Definately, under the wetsuit. For reasons Gombessa described, but also the water in the suit will not fill your boots when you exit.

S. Nagel

calwolf
01-14-2008, 21:15
If you want warm feet (and who doesn't?), I've noticed they stay warmer with the boots tucked under the wetsuit. There's a lot less water flowing into the boots that way, which helps the feet stay warm. Sometimes I'll just zip them over the top (it is a *little* more convenient), but only when I'm in water warm enough that I don't care if the boots are regularly flushed.

On the flip side, I usually *don't* do this with gloves (though the warmth principle is somewhat similar). With most gloves, the velcro would be too bulky under a wetsuit sleeve, but mine are flat (henderson hyperstretch 5mm - great gloves!). With any gloves though, it's also a safety issue... if I were ever in a rescue situation, I'd need dexterity quick, and it takes a while to untuck gloves. Not a big deal with boots.

So I like to tuck the boots under, but leave the gloves on the outside.

Jesse Walker
President, USU Scuba Club
USU SCUBA - The Utah State University Scuba Diving Club (http://www.usu.edu/scuba)

fisheater
01-14-2008, 21:50
Under.

FishFood
01-14-2008, 21:54
On your next dive have one under and one over. Then you be the judge.

DiverBry
01-14-2008, 22:36
Definitely wear your boots under the wetsuit.

I saw a guy getting out of the water a few months ago... he had tucked his wetsuit into his boots, and the shins of his wetsuit were full of liquid... when he took his boots off... the liquid obviously wasn't lake water!

ScubaBoy
01-14-2008, 23:40
I've heard about this problem in another forum and it ain't pretty. lol Inside it is, for a variety of reasons.

WaScubaDude
01-15-2008, 00:27
SNIP...

On the flip side, I usually *don't* do this with gloves (though the warmth principle is somewhat similar). With most gloves, the velcro would be too bulky under a wetsuit sleeve, but mine are flat (henderson hyperstretch 5mm - great gloves!). With any gloves though, it's also a safety issue... if I were ever in a rescue situation, I'd need dexterity quick, and it takes a while to untuck gloves. Not a big deal with boots.

So I like to tuck the boots under, but leave the gloves on the outside.

Jesse Walker
President, USU Scuba Club
USU SCUBA - The Utah State University Scuba Diving Club (http://www.usu.edu/scuba)

Also, your hands are not always pointed toward your fins so the water doesn't flow as consistently in, unlike boots on the outside that are always "scooping" at the water flowing down the legs.

DollFin
01-15-2008, 01:10
I went on my first non-tropical dives last Saturday and I wore my boots under my suit for the simple fact that I would not have been able to zip them up all the way if the suit were tucked in. Didn't think about the other reasons, but they make perfect sense, so I'm glad I gussed right! :)

texdiveguy
01-15-2008, 01:31
Under always.

CODMAN
01-15-2008, 07:04
Also under! For many of the resons given above, and this added one. I have very big calves and the lateral zipper on my boots is often forced open because of the strain my calves put on the Neoprene of the boot. The strain really isn't much; it's more the zipper which is poor quality.

By putting my boots under the wetsuit seal, the zipper always remains closed.

Just another reason for under...:smiley20:

Navy OnStar
01-15-2008, 07:11
Also under! For many of the resons given above, and this added one. I have very big calves and the lateral zipper on my boots is often forced open because of the strain my calves put on the Neoprene of the boot. The strain really isn't much; it's more the zipper which is poor quality.

By putting my boots under the wetsuit seal, the zipper always remains closed.

Just another reason for under...:smiley20:

Not the same reason but the same result. I tried mine over and under when I first got certified and both bootie zippers would unzip when I had them over. My calves aren't big so it wasn't the pressure.

Under ever since and never had a problem.

marchand
01-15-2008, 07:23
Maybe I'm just different, but I wear mine on the outside. I have never had a problem with water getting in or the zipper unzipping, and it is just more convenient to zip them over the suit. To each his own.

Lone Frogman
01-15-2008, 07:27
Maybe I'm just different, but I wear mine on the outside. I have never had a problem with water getting in or the zipper unzipping, and it is just more convenient to zip them over the suit. To each his own.

Yep What he said. If its cold water I'm diving dry.

mm_dm
01-15-2008, 07:33
Under. You can also pick up small rocks or sand in them if you wear tham over the wetsuit. Sooner or later you'll may end up standing in shallow water.

SarahBella
01-15-2008, 07:42
Mine are under-not sure why I did it that way to start but it has always worked.

whse56
01-15-2008, 07:49
got to go with the crowd, boots inside the wet suit

Defman
01-15-2008, 07:53
Booties under wetsuit... a little less water & pee end up in them that way...

ian
01-15-2008, 08:54
Since this question comes up regularly, I took this photo of a diver I saw last year...

Imagine that bulge if this diver pees in their wetsuit. Imagine this divers boots if they're shore diving and wading in through the surf...

Notice the difference between the diver on the right and the divers on the left?

Now...do you really want to wear your boots inside or outside? :smilie39:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/ianw2/FullSuit.jpg

RoyN
01-15-2008, 09:13
My mom tells me its under the suit. Can't argue with her :D

cyclone3565
01-15-2008, 09:33
Unless I am in my drysuit I just use really low cut slip ons. I have not had any problems with cold feet, but then again, any water under 72 is drysuit water.

WV Diver
01-15-2008, 09:47
Since this question comes up regularly, I took this photo of a diver I saw last year...

Imagine that bulge if this diver pees in their wetsuit. Imagine this divers boots if they're shore diving and wading in through the surf...

Notice the difference between the diver on the right and the divers on the left?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/ianw2/FullSuit.jpg

WOW, gotta be a couple of quarts of pee in there. :smiley36::smiley32:

Lloyd De Jongh
01-15-2008, 11:58

The way I see it, the picture settles the debate ;)

I'm with the guy with the pic...

Gombessa
01-15-2008, 13:38
:O At first I thought the guy on the right was wearing a drysuit!

DZorn00
01-20-2008, 12:53
maybe they should have gone to the bathroom before diving! (cant be that cold!):smilie39:

Under they always come unzipped!(yes it is from my HULK HOGAN sized calf muscles!):smilie39:

jeepbrew
02-25-2008, 10:12
Definitely wear your boots under the wetsuit.

I saw a guy getting out of the water a few months ago... he had tucked his wetsuit into his boots, and the shins of his wetsuit were full of liquid... when he took his boots off... the liquid obviously wasn't lake water!

That's pretty gross. Regardless, I would still have said boots inside the wetsuit...

rye_a
02-25-2008, 10:19
Under. Just remember to crack the "seal" at your ankle when you surface, otherwise your boots will inflate with water draining out of your suit.

Skyjunky
02-25-2008, 10:28
Boots under.

cmburch
02-26-2008, 07:35
I never thought about all the reasons on having booties in or out since my booties will not zip up over my wetsuit cuffs; I always have them under. I got hit in the face with sea water/urine mixture helping a buddy peel the wetsuit leg off. I was disgusted.

Super-Duper Scubasteve
02-26-2008, 07:54
Under for warmth

SkuaSeptember
02-27-2008, 17:28
Under,unless wearing a shorty.

Jellybeandiver
02-27-2008, 17:35
I wear my wetsuit over my booties and I seem to have less problems with water coming in and out when I do

ia2189
03-04-2008, 08:25
Under wet suit. They have a tendency to come unzipped, otherwise.

pyre24
03-04-2008, 10:31
I wear mine outside wetsuit in a pool but under anywhere else.

rfb3
03-04-2008, 10:34
When wearing my skin (I need a new one) water collects at the booties, and it weighs down my legs. So I put my ws over the booties to allow the water to run out. If I am wearing the skin, warmth is not an issue. If I have on the 3/2, the WS is under the booties.

granolatree
03-08-2008, 19:41
under, because everyones doing it.

Athena2c
03-08-2008, 20:31
Under wet suit. They have a tendency to come unzipped, otherwise.

Yep, that's exactly it for me too :smiley1:

RoyN
03-08-2008, 20:36
Under the wetsuit, because my mom said so. :)

jwdizney
03-08-2008, 21:57
Under,unless wearing a shorty.
:smilie39::smilie39:

johnyringo
03-09-2008, 10:09
Depends on the boot/suit fit at the "boot/suit seam"...I have this thing about not peein' in my wet suit, not that I never have, but only if my eyes are turning yellow. If I have to pee before a dive, I pee before the dive, regardless of who's there or where I am. It's different if I'm surfing, it gets flushed out regularly, but it doesn't diving...unless ones suit is too loose.

doczerothree
03-09-2008, 10:26
Inside

hoobascooba
03-09-2008, 12:22
i slip my wetsuit over my booties.

i don't know why, i just do :smiley_bucktooth:

NoTime58
03-09-2008, 15:37
Do most of you wear your booties over or inside your wetsuit? Any advantage/disadvantage either way?

I wear mine under the wetsuit for personal preference.

Grizbear98
03-12-2008, 19:32
well, I guess that would explain why there was water in my shins...
I couldn't get my boots under my new wetsuit, I guess I'll have to try harder next time :smiley9:

Splitlip
03-13-2008, 04:57
Boots under the wetsuit for all the reasons stated.

Also, boots over looks very "kookish". (Let's face it, you want to look cool, right?)