PDA

View Full Version : Pool training and personal gear.

Ryanh1801
01-14-2008, 20:39
ok had a quick question, might be a stupid one so go easy on me. :smiley20: Anyways I start my AOW and master diver course this week. I have all my own personal gear now, and the course last for the whole semester once a week. What im wondering is should I go ahead and use my personal gear in the pool or just use their stuff and use my personal stuff on lake weekends? Seems like I have heard chlorine is tuff on fabric. I would definitely wash everything off after diving with fresh water. I would like to use my own stuff, just for the fact, I would be that much more familiar with everything, but at the same time I don't want to shorten the life of my stuff. Also hoping my instructor does not have a problem with me using a BP/W setup.

Thanks

Tom A
01-14-2008, 20:43
i would use my on stuff just wash it off well so you will be more familier with it

texdiveguy
01-14-2008, 20:43
If you rinse your gear off well and let dry between weekly classes you will not have any problems using your own persl. gear!

Ryanh1801
01-14-2008, 20:59
Cool, thanks guys.

ReefHound
01-14-2008, 21:05
Yeah, pools are tough on gear but it's not like your gear is going to instantly dissolve and fall apart. Some shops use their rental gear in pools nearly every day for years. Just rinse it well afterwards and a few times won't have any significant impact.

Jay_SMART_Diver
01-15-2008, 16:38
Make sure you cinch up your octo and gauges the pool bottom can scratch the crap out of your stuff.

cummings66
01-15-2008, 17:15
For a moment I thought we were concerned about the pool...

Seriously though, a few dives in a pool won't do much of anything. It takes a lot of dives to change things, and for the most part fading of color will be what happens long before fabric damage occurs.

MLenyo
01-15-2008, 17:46
Make sure you cinch up your octo and gauges the pool bottom can scratch the crap out of your stuff.

scratches your fins a bit, too =(

whse56
01-15-2008, 19:04
I guess I'd use my own gear, you know it and should be more comfortable with it. Besides nothing lasts forever.

rfreddo
01-16-2008, 12:23
Consider rinsing your gear in fresh water before getting in the pool also. I've been told that if you allow the fabric to absorb fresh water first, there may be less chlorine damage.

NitroWill
01-16-2008, 12:29
Consider rinsing your gear in fresh water before getting in the pool also. I've been told that if you allow the fabric to absorb fresh water first, there may be less chlorine damage.

Yes, this helps a good deal. This also applies to your hair before jumping in :smiley20: