PDA

View Full Version : computer quick disconnects

cfw218
01-15-2008, 12:25
What's the advantage of a quick disconnect for your computer console? Is it worth the extra money?

NitroWill
01-15-2008, 12:32
You cant disconnect just the computer to store it separately and clean it as well as making it easy to download the dives at your computer

Mycroft
01-15-2008, 12:33
What's the advantage of a quick disconnect for your computer console? Is it worth the extra money?

Advantage? Well, the only use I every got out of one was to cause a dive to be aborted. At 80 feet it flooded and caused my AI computer to lose the pressure reading on my tank.

What it is supposed to do is to allow you to quickly seperate the computer to go download it to you laptop or desktop computer.

I use a hoseless AI computer now, and don't have such issues.

Lone Frogman
01-15-2008, 12:39
I use a wrist mount computer and a wrist mount compass. No console for me.

Tom A
01-15-2008, 12:44
my aladin prime you have to take to the computer to down load

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
01-15-2008, 12:51
I have a quick disconnect. It gives me some of the advantages of a wrist computer. I can take my computer to a table in order to fill out my logs. I can store it seperately in a more secure location than my regulator. It's easier to hookup a download cable and download info.

Disadvantages: computer is easier to lose. A wrist computer has the same disadvantage. It is also easier for someone to steal if you leave it hooked to your rig.

whse56
01-15-2008, 13:53
I've got a cobra 2 with a quick disconnect. I guess the reason I bought it was partially the gee-whiz factor but I do like to take it off my regs and while my regs are soaking I can download my dive info and not have the octopus dangling around while I do it.

FOUNDATIONER
01-15-2008, 14:39
My computer goes on my wrist. Easy access, goes with me, doesn't get
banged around on the boat, more intuitive for me. Just my opinion.:smiley2:

Kabniel
01-15-2008, 14:45
I've never been a big fan of AI computers, I prefer to put my trust in a good old spg (no batteries to fail, less risk of flooding), a wrist comp and a back-up depth gauge on my other wrist. Just my 2pence/2cents/2rupees worth but I think it would just be adding another potential failure point.

If the batteries fail on my wrist comp or it floods I can either use my back-up depth gauge or, worst case, use my buddy's and finish the dive. Batteries fail or comp floods with AI and it's a show stopper :smiley13:

bperrybap
01-15-2008, 14:52
I think it is worth the extra money.
I think the biggest use is for something like being in an "unlimited"
or "dive at your own pace environment" like a liveaboard where your
gear remains setup on a dive deck away from the other relaxing
areas on the boat.
Having the disconnect allows a simple twist to remove the computer
so you can view it during SIT times to log the data or more importantly
watch the nitrogen levels drop and do dive planning.

I do like it for making downloading easier but I don't do downloading
nearly as often as dive planning.

--------------

Mycroft, I'd be curious to know what brand of computer & QD you had
that actually flooded the computer.
Was it a factory QD or an aftermarket add on type QD?
Normally QDs fail by leaking air from a bad o-ring.
My wifes Aeris QD had one broken interlock tab and it still worked,
but I guess a total failure of both QD interlock tabs (rather than o-rings)
could eject the computer and water could enter the air pressure sensor
opening.

---- bill

Mycroft
01-15-2008, 15:41
I think it is worth the extra money.
I think the biggest use is for something like being in an "unlimited"
or "dive at your own pace environment" like a liveaboard where your
gear remains setup on a dive deck away from the other relaxing
areas on the boat.
Having the disconnect allows a simple twist to remove the computer
so you can view it during SIT times to log the data or more importantly
watch the nitrogen levels drop and do dive planning.

I do like it for making downloading easier but I don't do downloading
nearly as often as dive planning.

--------------

Mycroft, I'd be curious to know what brand of computer & QD you had
that actually flooded the computer.
Was it a factory QD or an aftermarket add on type QD?
Normally QDs fail by leaking air from a bad o-ring.
My wifes Aeris QD had one broken interlock tab and it still worked,
but I guess a total failure of both QD interlock tabs (rather than o-rings)
could eject the computer and water could enter the air pressure sensor
opening.

---- bill

The quick disconnect in question was re-called by the manufacturer and removed from the market very shortly after my issue with it (Dive 1 with the device, installed by the tech where I bought it, one of my dive buddies for the day was the manager of the store where I bought it. Manufacturer was the same as the reg on one side and the computer on the other. Manufacturer serviced the computer for free.)

Left a bad taste for them in my mouth and a buddy of mine used to say that a quick disconnect will.

cheebaweebie
01-15-2008, 15:51
I dive an Aeris Atmos AI and love it. It has the quick disconnest. You can take it off the hose and it won't flood. If by chance I have to abort the dive because of loss of pressure reading on the computer and it is not something I can fix, I also purchased and carry with me a spare analog pressure guage/depth guage console in my tool bag. Just pop off my computer and figure out my profile on my chart and hop onto my new dives.
I have only 1x had a computer fry on me and it was a Genisis react pro. The schmo who serviced my gear replaced the battery and never locked down the battery cap seal causing the thing to fry. It took me 4 months to get the stupid thing back fixed from Genesis. That's when I bought my Aeris. Over 150 dives on the Aeris without a problem or need to change batteries

det4220
01-15-2008, 16:08
The best computer quick disconnect made is the watch strap.

Defman
01-15-2008, 18:57
You cant disconnect just the computer to store it separately and clean it as well as making it easy to download the dives at your computer

Yeah, what Will said!

aaronle06
05-14-2008, 00:27
im a blonde when it comes to life and when you add pressure hoses it tends to scare me that ill have the pressure and try to attach my computer and shoot it halfway across the ocean when trying to connect it.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
05-15-2008, 19:13
im a blonde when it comes to life and when you add pressure hoses it tends to scare me that ill have the pressure and try to attach my computer and shoot it halfway across the ocean when trying to connect it.

I heard that actually happened to a guy at Wilmington. He was able to recover it with some brail diving since it happened at the dock.

imasinker
05-17-2008, 20:19
I am not sure about other AI dive computers, but my Cobra 2's quick connect if not attached properly can fall off. That being said, if it is not connected properly it won't show any air pressure reading so I know It isin't hooked up properly. Second thing is if you have already turned on your air and forgot to attach the computer you won't. The pressure is too great and you will need to shut off the air release the pressure and hook it up. The cobra has a spring loaded twist type connect that seems to hold well and you pretty much know if it isin't locked properly. I have yet heard anyone in our dive club losing a computer this way but thats not to say It hasn't happened.

I like the disconnect because It allows you to carry and store the computer seperate from other dive gear. You can carry the computer on a plane with carry on luggage, remove when your on a charter, or want to download or review profiles and info. It all falls on preference of likes and dislikes and may not be for everyone. Everything has it's pro's and con's.

redrover
05-23-2008, 21:42
I've got a Suunto Cobra with a disconnect. I think its a great feature. The attached is very secure. No chance of it coming off unexpected, and based on previous post you'd know right away when you turned the air on if it wasn't right.

Its great for taking the computer off to fill out logs.