PDA

View Full Version : LDS callbacks: None

Gombessa
01-16-2008, 11:20
Here's something that's happened to me and my friends a lot:

I called about 6 local shops inquiring about drysuits. They all said they would call me back when they had more information (about details, answers to questions, stock, etc.). None ever do. No problem, I call them again. After a while, I start talking to two of them, and make it pretty clear that I'm ready to buy as soon as someone can give me a finalized price. That should be pretty easy, right? One of them never calls back.

Same thing with instructors. We ask about class, get the "you'll love it, it's perfect for your skill level" speech. They say they need to iron out a few scheduling details and will get back to me. I'm waiting with checkbook in hand to give them money. No returned calls.

What the heck? Is my money radioactive?

ReefHound
01-16-2008, 11:39
Are you giving them the right number? :smilie39:

Gombessa
01-16-2008, 13:14
To tell you the truth, I did double-checked by calling myself once!

With all this talk about how LDSs are struggling to survive, I just can't believe they wouldn't jump on the opportunity to make several thousand dollars...for some smaller shops it could go a long way to making their month!

thor
01-16-2008, 13:16
I hate that. My LDS does that all of the time. "Yeah, we're getting ready to have a rescue class, if there is any interest. I'll give you a call" or "Did you still want that pair of gloves that you asked me to order four weeks ago." Uhhh, not anymore. I bought it elsewhere.

Foo2
01-16-2008, 13:26
If I were you I'd give ST a call. I know that they would be more than happy to take your money. :)

Damselfish
01-16-2008, 13:36
Yeah I've had some dive shops do that. Other businesses do it too. Hmm, since they can't be bothered to call to make a sale, how good will they be at calling back when you have a problem?

fireflock
01-16-2008, 14:02
I found the same things when I was looking for a drysuit. I decided which brand/style/size I wanted, but none of the shops I frequent was a dealer. I called a few dealers, obviously ready to buy, and it took me 4 or 5 dealers to find one that cared enough to place the order and cash the check.

Gombessa
01-16-2008, 14:14
I found the same things when I was looking for a drysuit. I decided which brand/style/size I wanted, but none of the shops I frequent was a dealer. I called a few dealers, obviously ready to buy, and it took me 4 or 5 dealers to find one that cared enough to place the order and cash the check.

Bingo. Drysuits are a bit particular because you really need to get the sizing right, but if ST carried the brand I was looking for, and I could get the fit settled, they'd be the first guys I'd turn to if the local shop fell through (being able to go in and size at the shop earns the LDS my money, but that doesn't mean they can't lose it by becoming unresponsive when I'm ready to purchase).

Crimediver
01-16-2008, 17:16
I pre-paid for a part for a knife sheath at my LDS. They took my $$$ and told me they would place the order . I would be called when it came in. Never called. Drove to the shop numerous times for six months. The hired help were clueless and I told them that I did not believe the part had been ordered and they told me I needed to talk to the owner, etc. I left written messages, phone messages and an e-mail. I finally posted this problem on Scubaboard and two hours later they had the part. I feel your frustration. Mine was a small order-$7.00 but it meant not being able to carry a knife I needed for work. It was not necessarily cheaper than on line but would have been shipped to my door for less money than driving back and forth to the shop. Next time I will go elsewhere. What made me PO'd was not calling me back.

Gombessa
01-16-2008, 17:25
What made me PO'd was not calling me back.

Totally! Delays are completely understandable. And I never *asked* them to call me back; they all volunteered to get more information and contact me as soon as they heard either way. Further, one was the shop owner, and the other was the general manager; so it doesn't just happen with the clerks. Sigh. In the end it wasn't my loss.

Matt P
01-16-2008, 18:33
I wonder if these dive shops manage customer relationships with sticky-notes and scratch paper. The could probably take a que from serious sales pro's who use CRM software for managing client interaction, scheduling, reminders, planning, etc. After all - they really are sales people. Such a simple thing could make all the difference.

dutchman
01-16-2008, 19:48
Most are so pre-occupied with what they have in stock. They don't want to go out and buy something that does not have repeat sales. I have experienced the same thing. Call Larry at ST, you talk to a real person that backs up his talk with action.What drives me crazy is when they suggest you e-mail them and they never reply. They just don't realize what customer service is about. ST on the other hand does.

Gombessa
01-16-2008, 19:53
Most are so pre-occupied with what they have in stock. They don't want to go out and buy something that does not have repeat sales.

I have no problem with that. If they don't have it in stock and don't want to get it for me, just say so. I don't think anyone will hold it against a store for not special-ordering something. But if you say you'll get it and call me when it comes in, and then don't...meh...

texarkandy
01-16-2008, 21:54
Maybe they are the kinds of shops that would really rather you came in-person so they can do a "sell job" on you - rather than actually try to price competitively since it's obvious you are shopping around. (Kind of like new car dealers)

Gombessa
01-17-2008, 00:12
Maybe they are the kinds of shops that would really rather you came in-person so they can do a "sell job" on you - rather than actually try to price competitively since it's obvious you are shopping around. (Kind of like new car dealers)

Not really. For a couple of these shops, I actually went in and talked to them, and saw them write my name and number down on a piece of paper when they said they'd call me back.

I guess it's more understandable for the shops that I only dealt with over the phone, but even then they have an easy out - don't say you'll do something you're not going to :smiley21:

Lone Frogman
01-17-2008, 04:43
How dare you ask for something thats not in their shop. After all if they don't have it you don't need it. If you don't believe it ask them to call you back and verify that. And LDS say that online sell's are running them out of business.

Gombessa
01-17-2008, 10:57
How dare you ask for something thats not in their shop. After all if they don't have it you don't need it. If you don't believe it ask them to call you back and verify that. And LDS say that online sell's are running them out of business.

Maybe the phone lines are all down. I've never been stood up to a PM or email question to Joe or Larry.

OK, that's my rant. I'm out.

Lone Frogman
01-17-2008, 11:58
I feel your pain.