PDA

View Full Version : Calcium ~

cutter77
01-16-2008, 23:30
What's the deal on this recent study saying calcium raises risk of heart attacks?

Calcium tablets 'raise risk of heart attacks' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=RSB0GCOVGRY0DQFIQMGCFF4AVCBQ UIV0?xml=/news/2008/01/16/ncalcium116.xml)

I've been taking calcium with D for years so I won't break an arm if I get slammed against a dive boat ladder or a hip if I fall on a slippery deck.

What's a girl to do???

navyhmc
01-17-2008, 04:10
Talk to your doctor. That's the best advice I can give.

I will agree that too much calcium in a diet will cause problems, but since it is a water soluble mineral, most folks will readily get rid of what the body doesn't need.

I agee with taking some for fracture avoidance and all. Wise move. Talk with the doc also about an early bone denisty test as there was research back in the 70's about osteomalacia from commercial diving-one of the reasons I got out of it-but the study didn't include sport diving and the last time I tried to find anything on it, the coffers of information were empty.

Osprey
01-17-2008, 07:25
I think it's another case of "moderation in everything." I am NO doctor, but I am pretty sure your body can't really USE that much calcium in one big haul anyway? (if anyone knows how much please post!) I would ask your doctor though, there is probably a multivitamin out there that has a lower amount of calcium in it

chace_nicole
01-17-2008, 14:33
The information was rather vague on their part. I'm sure there were a lot of other variables that were not listed. Take a look at this one...
Calcium: Heart Risk For Older Women?, Study Shows Calcium Supplements May Up Heart Attack Risk In Postmenopausal Women - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/16/health/webmd/main3719794.shtml)

azdiver
01-18-2008, 18:58
The body can only absorb a certain amount of calciium at a time,,,, which is why the recommendation for those that need to increase calcium is to take a dose/pill of nore more than 750 mg at a time... am and pm. the body absorbs about 500 mg and the rest is lost.