PDA

View Full Version : Ft Myers Area?

lovesmexico615
01-17-2008, 14:30
Hey guys,

I'm going to be down in the Ft Myers area in February... coming for some Spring Training Work. I was wondering if there is easily accessible diving, because I don't know my work schedule yet. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Amanda

Bigg_Budd
01-17-2008, 15:31
I've dove Venice for shark teeth. It's about an hour north, but it's fun diving. Kinda like a treasure hunt... :)

lovesmexico615
01-17-2008, 17:33
Very cool. I'll have to look into it. What about night dives? I might be working most days that I'm down there, but should be out around 3ish...

Bigg_Budd
01-17-2008, 20:39
No clue. I only dove in the AM/Noon. Here's who I used: http://www.floridawestscuba.com/

Dive Rong
01-17-2008, 22:32
Unfortunately, there is not really any good diving in the Ft. Myers area unless you charter to go way off shore. My LDS has for 20 years consistantly gone to Key Largo for certifying their students. They make regular trips there for both OW and AOW rec dives including The Spiegel Grove. PM me if you are interested and I will put you in contact with them. Venice does offer some sharktooth diving as Budd said - most of this is done by shore diving at a depth of about 25'. The teeth are located in the clay beds. This type of diving is not very active due to stirring up the clay and destroying the viz. Hence, in colder weather, you might need more thermal protection since you will not be moving very much - just sort of hovering over the clay bed.

In truth, unless you join a trip group as I mentioned, your best bet is to drive the 2.5 hours to the East Coast, or head for Key Largo on your own. - Chris

emcbride81
01-17-2008, 23:10
Stayed in that area for a week last year, and there is no real diving. We rented a boat and went about 5 miles out. It was still only 19 feet at that point. It was about 10 ft vis and the only animals we saw were some sort of shrimp in little holes on the seafloor and starfish. It is a 2.5 hour drive east to Lauderdale By the Sea, which has some nice reefs with in swimming distance from shore.