PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather OW training?

LaCroix42
01-17-2008, 19:32
So I'm going to be going by ST sometime in the near future when I get off of work on time to look at mask, fins, snorkel so I can drop the cash and take the plunge into an OW class (pun most definitely intended).

I work outside, hence, the cold is the bane of my existence. How does ST specifically and other LDS' generally handle the checkout dives when it's cold outside? I see on the site the checkouts are in Terrell and they are normally is bit cooler than the metroplex, so I don't imagine the water's all that warm. Dry suit is an AOW elective as I recall. I'm going to guess the answer is somewhere near "suck it up and get the thickest wetsuit you can find." Close? Off the mark?

Thanks!
LC

PlatypusMan
01-17-2008, 20:12
..How does ST specifically and other LDS' generally handle the checkout dives when it's cold outside? I see on the site the checkouts are in Terrell and they are normally is bit cooler than the metroplex, so I don't imagine the water's all that warm.

I am not a spokesman for ST. I CAN say that the OW class this weekend will have 7mils and/or layered suits on. I was there for the fittings.

fisheater
01-17-2008, 20:58
As my teenaged son would say, "man up!"

Seriously. I'll be doing my OW dives next weekend in Monterey. Water temps should be in the low 50s and the weather forecast is for low 60s. If you get the hang of diving in cold water, wearing a thick wetsuit and carrying an unGodly amount of lead, you'll be a better diver for it. (At least that's what I'm continuing to tell myself.)

After that, a fun-in-the-sun tropical dive will present few challenges.

Good luck and tell us how it goes.

MSilvia
01-17-2008, 21:59
Look on the bright side... it's warmer there than here!

texdiveguy
01-18-2008, 00:40

Your gonna DIE with that mask on your forehead!!!! LOL

coyote
01-18-2008, 07:10

You know it's cold when you have to put salt down on the dock so divers don't slip in prematurely.:smiley20:

The last group of OW checkout dives the LDS did were in 50 degree water.
I think the secret is lots of neoprene, coffee and snacks. Not a bad weekend - the vis was pretty fantastic.

MSilvia
01-18-2008, 07:13
Your gonna DIE with that mask on your forehead!!!! LOL
We've all gotta die of something. :smiley29:

SarahBella
01-18-2008, 07:14
Funny-My check out dives were in June here in Upstate NY and the water temp was in the upper 50's at the surface and past 25 feet...well, you know. Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming.

Zyxistal
01-18-2008, 12:56
Just suck it up and dive. :smiley20:

Ryanh1801
01-18-2008, 13:10
Look into buying a thick wetsuit. I have this one from ST and it works great, and the price is even better. I have had it in 53 degree water and stayed plenty warm. A hood helps a lot too.
NeoSport 7 Mil John & Jacket, Wetsuits: Men, Neosport, NeoSport 7 Mil John & Jacket (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Neo7MilJohnJacket)

MichaelinDallas
01-18-2008, 13:12

I am originally from Minnesota. I have lived in Dallas since 1991. That picture of you in the water reminds me why I live in Dallas.

Michael

Penguino
04-02-2008, 23:57
I just did my first check-out dive at CSSP and cold wasn't a problem. Granted, I had 10 mil of Neoprene on (a 3mil under a 7 mil). Warm as can be. Just had to get past the "marshmallow" feeling and add a lot of weight.

ChrisA
04-03-2008, 11:10
As my teenaged son would say, "man up!"

Seriously. I'll be doing my OW dives next weekend in Monterey. Water temps should be in the low 50s and the weather forecast is for low 60s.

Last night after work I bunch of us went divng. Water was 51F at 69 feet and about 58F on the surface. (thermocline at bout 40 feet) Air temp was about 60 eary but lower as we were packing up to go home at about 9:00pm. This is NOT "cold". OK maybe chilly but in diving terms "cold" means you need to learn some extra skills and use some different euipment. I'd say as long as the water in in the 50s you can use a normal 7mm wetsuit with a hooded vest under it. Last night we had quite a crowd,a Nitrox class from a local shop with a half dozen students, A tech contingent with drysuits, doubles and big cave-style scooters and then just us two in normal rec gear. Locally our water never gets above the 50's for long and never that warm as 70 fsw.

BTW In So Cal the Giant Sea Bass are endangered. These are huge long lived fish that can grow to 600 pounds although more typically 300. They are gental, courious and diver-friendly. We don't see many of these, only a few big adults a year. But last night everyone was reporting seeing babies about 1 1/2 inchs long. I couldn't even count them, another guy counted 20. Seems to be the time of year for baby ells toos, must have found a dozen of those. Quite a few pipe fish. Had a lobster in my hand but let it go at the season is over. Lots to do in cool, low viz water.

cummings66
04-03-2008, 13:47
I like cold water diving, it's fun. The only thing I don't care for is the lips turning numb, when you can't tell you've got a regulator in your mouth you know it's cold.

I deal with it by drysuit diving. For OW most shops I know of wait for the water temps to hit 50 or so. 7mm works fine there.

mm2002
04-14-2008, 11:01
I like cold water diving, it's fun. The only thing I don't care for is the lips turning numb, when you can't tell you've got a regulator in your mouth you know it's cold.

I deal with it by drysuit diving. For OW most shops I know of wait for the water temps to hit 50 or so. 7mm works fine there.

Plus, I'm sure you don't have to fight your way through the crowd to get to the water ! :smiley36:

reactive
04-14-2008, 11:59

Just looking at that picture gave me chills to the core!

I admire your love of diving! lol

johnyringo
04-14-2008, 13:56

DUDE! That's hard corps man!

EuphoriaII
04-14-2008, 16:19
..How does ST specifically and other LDS' generally handle the checkout dives when it's cold outside? I see on the site the checkouts are in Terrell and they are normally is bit cooler than the metroplex, so I don't imagine the water's all that warm.

I am not a spokesman for ST. I CAN say that the OW class this weekend will have 7mils and/or layered suits on. I was there for the fittings.

As he said, you will just wear a thicker wetsuit but that also makes it more difficult to perform tasks.

matt151617
04-30-2008, 21:50
Some instructors are willing to teach a drysuit class simultaneously with an open water class.

mixahl
04-30-2008, 22:20

Me too!!!!! You've got one tough soul!

Sounder
05-01-2008, 10:54

Me too!!!!! You've got one tough soul!

Seattle doesn't get enough snow to warrant the cost of snow removal equipment, so when it really hits once or twice each winter, the city just kind of shuts down. Work was closed so 3 buddies and I went diving - it wasn't anything a 4x4 and chains wouldn't fix!! The news showed up and had us as part of a story on the snow.

The diving portion starts just after the 3:50 minute mark on the video. Enjoy.

Video Player (http://www.king5.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=113599&catId=81)