PDA

View Full Version : Reg service

Gombessa
01-18-2008, 12:48
Here's another one...not so much a complaint as it is a "state of the world" regret:

I have an old set of regs that I just brought in for service. The total cost of service + parts is likely to be higher than what I paid for the regs in the first place! Sigh.

OTGav
01-20-2008, 07:19
It's true.

I de-comissioned a couple of our clubs reg sets this year as the price of service on the old 1st stage wasn't pleasing to the accountants eyes.

Made more sense to get some modern full sets and have the cheaper service.

awap
01-20-2008, 08:11
Generally speaking, the cost of servicing a regulator should not be a function of its age as long as the service parts are still supported. What kind of regulators are you guys talking about.

Zenagirl
01-20-2008, 14:59
I figure if it's cheaper to service good regs than buy a new set, it's still worth it to service.

Soonerwink
01-20-2008, 15:09
One of the divers in our dive club purchased a set of Aqua Lung Lengend regs on ebay for 350.00. They looked brand new, but took them to the LDS to get checked out and serviced. Cost him 100.00 + to get serviced. Found out the LDS had the ScubaPro mk25/x650 on sale for 450.00. Could have had a top notch reg and warranty for about the same price.

mitsuguy
01-20-2008, 16:52
One of the divers in our dive club purchased a set of Aqua Lung Lengend regs on ebay for 350.00. They looked brand new, but took them to the LDS to get checked out and serviced. Cost him 100.00 + to get serviced. Found out the LDS had the ScubaPro mk25/x650 on sale for 450.00. Could have had a top notch reg and warranty for about the same price.

doesn't sound like they were very price conscious... you can buy that same reg brand new from LP for $399...

for instance, I bought a pair of RS460's (one with mares spg & ss10 octo, the other just with a 3 gauge mini console), and saved $500 over new... Neither needed service as neither are even a year old, had the receipts as well... Both work great, and one you can't tell from new...

Crimediver
01-20-2008, 17:40
I service my own regs. I keep water from getting into my first stage and do not overhaul annually. If it has a problem I fix it. I do inspect my regs but I don't like getting gouged by certain shops for pricey overhauls. Most of the regs I dive can be overhauled by a monkey with a few tools, a manual and a homemade magnahelic guage. Kits are available if you know where to look. Airspeed Press has a good primer on the topic. Just because a reg is old, it may be no problem getting parts. A good example are the Conshelfs. I own a dozen or so. Parts for one will fit them all.
I purposely have not overhauled a Conshelf SE2 that I bought in 1987. Other than a HP seat that was recalled the first year, it has never been overhauled with the exception of a new mouthpiece once or twice. I inspect it but have never replaced any parts on it. Just want to see how long it will go before it needs attention. I soak it well after each dive, and allow no water inside the first stage or ever purge the second stage W/O pressure. Am curious about the old reg you were going to retire. What kind was it?