PDA

View Full Version : Snagel - Drysuit Update 1st Dive

snagel
01-19-2008, 11:36
Many of you provide a lot of valuable information over the last couple weeks as I was going through Drysuit Certification and then trying to decide on what to buy. I ended up with a crushed neo SeaSoft TiPro 3000. Today, I was able to go to a local pool with a dive shop who was doing some classes and play around with it. Here is what I have to say.

First, it was very positive. Absolutely no water inside the suit although the deepest I got was 12 feet - completely dry except for a little sweat. I dove with wool socks, swimming trunks, and a cotton T-shirt. I didn't put the undergarmet on for fear of getting way too hot - water temp was in the 80's.

One thing I don't really like about the suit is the exhaust valve. It is located on the left wrist instead of the left shoulder. Maybe I just need to work with this a little, but to exhaust I had to straighten my arm completely out above my head.

Weight was a little bit of an issue. After playing around with it, I ended up with 28 pounds. (I normally use 26 with a 7mm, 3mm hooded vest, boots, gloves, hood, etc.). I'm sure this will be something I will work on for awhile (keep in mind no undergarmet). Maybe I need to look into adding weight to the BCD such as a steel backplate or something? Hate to go to steel tanks, since I have a small fortune in 3 AL80's.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the suit and glad I got the opportunity to work on things a little in a pool before heading for deeper water.

S. Nagel

cummings66
01-30-2008, 13:15
Just saw this, I personally like the shoulder vent but that's what I trained with. The wrist vent has merit in that you could vent while horizontal where it's tougher on the shoulder to do that.

Congrats on getting the hang of the new suit. I know when I go up to a 400 gr undergarment which is RARE that I need about 18 lbs of lead, 8 with my 200 gr and when I use doubles I expect to drop some of that down as well. So, depending on under garment you may find yourself needing 10 lbs more lead. Depends on how much loft it needs.

skdvr
01-31-2008, 09:33
The instructor that I had for my Dry Suit course had a dump valve installed on his wrist. I told me why he liked them so much but I cannot remember why. Seems kind of strange to me, but I guess it is all in what you get use to...

Phil

cummings66
01-31-2008, 10:22
One of the guys at a LDS near me likes his there as well. He's handicapped and it helps him to vent because he just raises his hand a bit which is made easier by the bubble that rises.

mwhities
01-31-2008, 10:29
One of the guys at a LDS near me likes his there as well. He's handicapped and it helps him to vent because he just raises his hand a bit which is made easier by the bubble that rises.

How's he handicapped? You may have read, I'm handicapped.. left-arm missing. I just bought a dry suit and I had the left arm cut off and the exhaust valve moved back the the left shoulder. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but, I'm sure I will Saturday.

Gombessa
01-31-2008, 11:24
Shoulder v. wrist usually comes down to preference - there are adv and disad to either. Sometimes you can specify where you want the cuff, and the manufacturer will install to your liking.

cummings66
01-31-2008, 19:00
How's he handicapped? You may have read, I'm handicapped.. left-arm missing.

I've read that of you. He basically is as close to crippled as you can get and still walk. He uses 2 canes to support his weight to get in and then tosses them back to us on shore to put up. He can't use his legs much either. The condition is a spinal related one which makes movement very painful for him.

WAHMof2
02-01-2008, 16:18
How's he handicapped? You may have read, I'm handicapped.. left-arm missing.

I've read that of you. He basically is as close to crippled as you can get and still walk. He uses 2 canes to support his weight to get in and then tosses them back to us on shore to put up. He can't use his legs much either. The condition is a spinal related one which makes movement very painful for him.

Wow, poor guy. It's cool that he dives though!
Congrats on the suit Snagel! We're hoping to be dry by next winter.

snagel
02-01-2008, 20:33
I think it is worth it. This time last year, I was watching the calander waiting for spring to arrive. But, now with the drysuit, I'm looking at the calander and planning dive trips.

S. Nagel