PDA

View Full Version : BCD Issues

oceanpax
01-19-2008, 15:48
I am looking to by a new BC. I am short waisted and well short in general!
Looking for a BC that is not bulky, maybe a back inflate? Any ideas?

Kingpatzer
01-19-2008, 15:55
DSS short back plate and wing?

There really is nothing more adjustable than a bp/w setup.

SkuaSeptember
01-19-2008, 16:09
The Zeagles are very adjustable and can be ordered with different sized harnesses. At 4'10 and 85lbs my daughter dives a Tech that fits her beautifully.

Tom A
01-19-2008, 17:45
i'm short 5'6 i have the oceanic chute 3 back inflate works great got all sorts of adjustments

setesh
01-19-2008, 23:58
ST will customize the Brigade for you, talk to Joe if he's available, he's the man!

Zenagirl
01-20-2008, 07:53
If you're looking at Zeagles, you might also check out the RaZor and the Zena, both being designed specifically for women divers.

I think the real trick to finding the right BC for you is to try on as many as you can, and if you can get wet, even better. What is right for me, may not be right for you, and vice versa. (And this applies to fins, masks, wetsuits, regs...all gear basically).

For example, the BP/W is often touted as the "only" choice anyone should make. When I tried one, I found the webbing to be extremely uncomfortable and hated the crotch strap, so would never consider it as an option for me (yes, I was fitted correctly). On the other hand, my first BC was a Diva, which is a very popular women's BC. I could never get it to fit right, it moved around and rolled on my body, and I hated the bulk of it under my arms. Once I tried on the Zeagle Zena I knew I had found the right BC. It fits my body perfectly, the 6 points of adjustability and modular nature makes it basically a custom fit BC, and I love the feeling of freedom. However, there are women who don't like the corset design of the Zena so use another brand/style of BC instead and are VERY happy.

Again, bottom line is to find what YOU like (fit, comfort, style, etc) and not pick/buy solely based on popularity or what someone recommends.

cheebaweebie
01-20-2008, 08:59
I'm an advocate of the rip tide zone (BLACK) It's the brigade w/o the cost. check them out. ST sold me mine last year and I love it. search and look through previous posts on the rip tide zone

JodiBB
01-20-2008, 14:38
I also have the Zeagle Zena and love it! When I first got it, I loved the support I get on my back from the corset-like fit; however, no matter how I adjusted it (even using ZenaGirl's feedback), the tank would still roll.

I contacted ST and let them know what was going on. I sent in my Zena and they replaced the front panel with a smaller size...guess what?! NO rolling!! :smiley32:

So, what I like about the Zena is the support, the ability to switch out parts and the guys were so jealous of me being able to zip up my BCD 1-2-3 as compared to all their straps, etc.

Foo2
01-20-2008, 15:01
I'm gonna echo the Zena recomendations. I'm 5'3 and deffinately have more legs than waist. I would highly recomend it. Let us know what you end up with!

oceanpax
01-21-2008, 08:45
Really appreciate everyones info. I am going to check into the Zeagle! Let you know what happens.

I have a new camera that I will be taking a class in a few weeks. Can't wait. Any tips?:smiley29::smiley29:

azdiver
01-21-2008, 09:52
I have the riptide grace... which is a woman's bc and love it. However, in my quest for something lighter and more packable will be looking into some of the zeagle bc's now... the zena and escape. Unfortunately the only zeagle dealer in my area only carries one the had custom made for their shop so it will be difficult at best to find the right fit.

fisheater
01-21-2008, 09:58
The Zeagles are very adjustable and can be ordered with different sized harnesses. At 4'10 and 85lbs my daughter dives a Tech that fits her beautifully.

Wow. An 85 lbs. diver with a 65 lbs. lift. She must be only get a bit moist at the surface!

cutter77
01-21-2008, 23:36
So, what I like about the Zena is the support, the ability to switch out parts and the guys were so jealous of me being able to zip up my BCD 1-2-3 as compared to all their straps, etc.

And..........1 zip and you're out of it in case you need to hand it up or climb into a dinghy. Nice feature.

Zenagirl
01-22-2008, 07:14
I have the riptide grace... which is a woman's bc and love it. However, in my quest for something lighter and more packable will be looking into some of the zeagle bc's now... the zena and escape. Unfortunately the only zeagle dealer in my area only carries one the had custom made for their shop so it will be difficult at best to find the right fit.

Easy to solve. Call ScubaToys, they'll take your measurements and send you the correct fitting BC. Then you send back the one(s) you don't want.

azdiver
01-22-2008, 19:11

Easy to solve. Call ScubaToys, they'll take your measurements and send you the correct fitting BC. Then you send back the one(s) you don't want.

I will probably be doing that after I get back from my trip to Turkey in March.. just in case my girth expands from the food there. :smiley30:

WAHMof2
02-01-2008, 15:31
I chose the Hera after trying out several. The sides are cut high for the hips, and the chest strap can be put in just the right spot. It has a hybrid bladder, so it's mostly back inflate.

obrules15
03-01-2008, 08:42
I have the same problem, I have used Zeagle BCD's for 8 years because I can order each component in the size I need so the waist circumference can be one size and the waist to shoulder length can be another size. You could not pay me to dive with another brand. I am on my third one.

Liv7301
03-01-2008, 09:00
I love the Zeagle line of BCDs because of the adjustability, regardless if you are using a Zena, Brigade, etc. I personally have a Brigade so that I could individually accomodate my tummy and shorter torso/shoulder height. I love it and wished that was what I used in OW class instead of a jacket.

Plus if you have questions or concerns with Zeagle gear you can just pop on the forum here and speak to Scott Zeagle himself! How cool is that?!

Diver Kat
03-01-2008, 23:50
Also hooked on the Zeagle Zena. I'm short and not so thin. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_1_7.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762YYUS) Buying the sections in different sizes to fit just me was great! Had a TUSA 'who knows what' when I started diving and hated trying to get it tightened up once at depth, messing with velcro stuck to my wetsuit, etc. With the Zena you just zip it up and give the waist and hip straps a quick pull and it's a nice & snug! A bit loose once you hit the water? Just give another quick tug. And I love the comfort of the vest front. Also - you can snap the sections apart for quick & easy packing!

Chocoholic
03-02-2008, 13:06
Also hooked on the Zeagle Zena. I'm short and not so thin. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_1_7.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762YYUS) Buying the sections in different sizes to fit just me was great! Had a TUSA 'who knows what' when I started diving and hated trying to get it tightened up once at depth, messing with velcro stuck to my wetsuit, etc. With the Zena you just zip it up and give the waist and hip straps a quick pull and it's a nice & snug! A bit loose once you hit the water? Just give another quick tug. And I love the comfort of the vest front. Also - you can snap the sections apart for quick & easy packing!

How easy is it to pack? My main interest is finding a BCD that I can fit in my carry-on and not have it take up the entire carry-on. I was looking at the Aliikai, but now I am also interested in the Zena because of the fit and the easy packing. What does it end up like when you take it apart? Does it weigh very much? Now I have to go over to Scuba Diving magazine and see what their scubalab found about lift and exhaust and trim for the Zena. Thanks.

SkuaSeptember
03-02-2008, 16:24

Wow. An 85 lbs. diver with a 65 lbs. lift. She must be only get a bit moist at the surface!
It is true that even when weighting for a drysuit in 40 deg. water she doesn't test the capacity of the bladder, but that harness will allow for alot of growth and that bladder can always be moved to another harness.

Zenagirl
03-02-2008, 17:04
How easy is it to pack? My main interest is finding a BCD that I can fit in my carry-on and not have it take up the entire carry-on. I was looking at the Aliikai, but now I am also interested in the Zena because of the fit and the easy packing. What does it end up like when you take it apart? Does it weigh very much? Now I have to go over to Scuba Diving magazine and see what their scubalab found about lift and exhaust and trim for the Zena. Thanks.

I'm not so sure you could find a BC that would pack smaller than a Zena.

CompuDude
03-02-2008, 17:27

I'm not so sure you could find a BC that would pack smaller than a Zena.

A bp/w with an appropriately small wing is generally as small as it gets. But the Zena is still a good BC that packs up impressively small.

CompuDude
03-02-2008, 17:29

It is true that even when weighting for a drysuit in 40 deg. water she doesn't test the capacity of the bladder, but that harness will allow for alot of growth and that bladder can always be moved to another harness.

So when she's fully grown and diving with doubles and multiple stages, she'll be set. And until then, she gets to use an absurdly oversized wing?

I'd seriously consider another, more appropriately sized wing. I'm 6'3", 190 lbs, and I use a 55lb wing. With my drysuit and steel doubles. And it's probably more than I need, but I want to be prepared for stage bottles.

rye_a
03-02-2008, 21:53
Zeagles are very well biult and can be quite packable depending upon which wing you choose.

Diver Kat
03-02-2008, 23:26
How easy is it to pack? My main interest is finding a BCD that I can fit in my carry-on and not have it take up the entire carry-on. I was looking at the Aliikai, but now I am also interested in the Zena because of the fit and the easy packing. What does it end up like when you take it apart? Does it weigh very much? Now I have to go over to Scuba Diving magazine and see what their scubalab found about lift and exhaust and trim for the Zena. Thanks.I have the integrated air hose/Octo and my Zena weights less than 5 lbs. I usually detach each vest panel, and if I really want to compact it, I also detach the air hose/Octo. The most ackward part for packing is the tank straps - since they're pretty stiff.