PDA

View Full Version : Koh Lanta - July 08

OTGav
01-19-2008, 19:21
Does anyone have any ideas of the likely conditions on the West Coast of Koh Lanta at the begining of July?

Got a honeymoon booked and want to get some day trips in while I am there.

The resort is at the Northern "start bit" of the finger that comes down to the South, on the West Coast.

Thanks

gbrdiver
02-08-2008, 04:47
You've probably read that the main dive season around there is from October to May...don't believe it! I been there a couple of times around July and it was great. Always a chance of evening rain, but when isn't there in Thailand? Enjoy the diving both above and below the water :)

Quero
03-20-2008, 07:04
Does anyone have any ideas of the likely conditions on the West Coast of Koh Lanta at the begining of July?

Got a honeymoon booked and want to get some day trips in while I am there.

The resort is at the Northern "start bit" of the finger that comes down to the South, on the West Coast.

Thanks

Umm, I see that this is quite an old thread, but the system keeps telling me to POST! POST! POST!, so I guess this is the most appropriate place to do it!

July on Phi Phi will be okay. We dive year round here. The prevailing winds this time of year (from May to November) are from the southwest, so do expect some swells and chop along with the possibility of rough rides on the boat trips out to the dive sites, which are mainly to the west and south of Phi Phi. Once at the dive sites, dive boats seek the sheltered sides of the islands to facilitate getting into and out of the water. Some dive sites are much more exposed than others, with no island to shelter behind, and trips to these may be suspended occasionally (probably not in July, though, which isn't a particularly stormy month).

The western-facing beaches on the island may have rip currents, so swim/dive with great care from shore.

Better late than never?

Q.

Travelnsj
03-20-2008, 11:33
Quero...welcome to ST

Quero
03-20-2008, 16:28
Quero...welcome to ST

Why thanks! I actually did stick something up on the "intros" forum, but apparently, the system doesn't think postings in there count.

Looks like you'll be heading over to my part of the world in a matter of weeks/days. Enjoy your time on Layang Layang. Did I see someplace that you'll be there for an extended period? More than 5 days? I hope there are lots of hammers to keep you busy!

Anyway, back to the OPs thread... July is fine on Phi Phi (though I'd rather be in Indon then :smiley2:).

Travelnsj
03-20-2008, 16:39
Quero...welcome to ST

Why thanks! I actually did stick something up on the "intros" forum, but apparently, the system doesn't think postings in there count.

Looks like you'll be heading over to my part of the world in a matter of weeks/days. Enjoy your time on Layang Layang. Did I see someplace that you'll be there for an extended period? More than 5 days? I hope there are lots of hammers to keep you busy!

Anyway, back to the OPs thread... July is fine on Phi Phi (though I'd rather be in Indon then :smiley2:).

Yep...got 11 days of diving...then a couple of days down touring Boreno....should be a cool trip.....now lets hope for 82 degree or better water as I am only wearing a shorty:smiley20:

Indonesia....Isn't that the best!:smiley20: Chinacat told me about Indonesia three years ago how great it was and in 06 I went to Bali and East Timor...knocked my socks off...since then been to three other areas of Indo....Love that place...Still like Palau though!

Now back to the thread...LOL

NoTime58
03-21-2008, 19:18
Quero...welcome to ST

Have some friends that liked to dive in Phuket. I've made dives in Pattaya, but have'nt been to Phuket. Was supposed to be in Pattaya on the first of this month for R&R but decided to leave Iraq and come back to the states for a while. Went diving in Key West in February but I really like Thailand. The "Misses" and I have been there three times and she absolutely loves it over there. Hopefully we'll get back there sometime in the future.

Quero
03-21-2008, 20:01
Have some friends that liked to dive in Phuket. I've made dives in Pattaya, but have'nt been to Phuket. Was supposed to be in Pattaya on the first of this month for R&R but decided to leave Iraq and come back to the states for a while. Went diving in Key West in February but I really like Thailand. The "Misses" and I have been there three times and she absolutely loves it over there. Hopefully we'll get back there sometime in the future.

Eww! Pattaya diving! :smiley11: No fishies! :nosmilie: No viz! :smiley21: Only old rusting hulks lying on the bottom! :brittish: Oh well, to each his own, I guess....

If you have to go back to Iraq, take your next r/r here on Phuket. I've had a few people come down from there for training. Most recently I had an Embassy worker come for rescue + Nitrox courses and an LOB trip. I've also had some folks come down from Afghanistan, but more from Baghdad.