PDA

View Full Version : Dive Planning

cummings66
07-27-2007, 17:44
How many of you plan your dives? How many of you know your SCR or SAC and use that in the planning. What do you consider the basics when it comes to dive planning? What should be included, what's optional or nice to know? I'm kind of curious what the various people think about this aspect of diving.

Choose as many options that fit, if you want to say something else post it.

cummings66
07-27-2007, 17:53
As for me I'll put it this way.

I know my SCR, I know how to plan how much air I and my buddy will use. I plan the deeper dives all the time, but almost never do the shallow dives, as in 30 foot deep dives I only do a basic plan of where we're going and the normal signals because I already have a rough idea of how much air is needed at those shallow depths.

My plans are pretty flexible for the most part.

TxHockeyGuy
07-27-2007, 20:39
I do take into account my air consumption and if possible the air consumption of my buddy (provided I know it). I always like to have a general idea of where we are going to go underwater, what depth, and for how long. That being said I do not strictly follow that plan, it is my guide. I will be checking with my buddy as to their air pressure and will quickly know what our turn pressure will need to be based on their SAC rate (which I can and will figure out underwater). If I am diving deeper the turn pressures get very conservative with anyone I am not very familiar with. I will not dive with an unknown buddy when you combine deep and cold, that is just asking for trouble.

Ruminari
07-30-2007, 20:38
On most of my dives, which have been shore dives, I just go out with my buddy and explore the vast unknown. I don't really worry about depth so much as that's why I've got a computer. The biggest planning to me is getting to the site and getting wet. Once there we just tend to have a very very basic plan and go have fun. Of course there are the hot spots that we try to hit up.

ScubyDoo
07-31-2007, 20:14
The poll was missing a major factor....dive computers. I always plan my dives on the macro level, but I rely on my computer to manage the micro levels. Dives rarely go exactly as planned. You may go a little deeper than planned, or perhaps not quite as deep. You may spend a little more or less time at a given depth. If its a deep dive, I always begin the ascent when I hit 1000 lbs. Depending on the profile that may be a slow vertical ascent to the safety stop, or a slow paced ascent along a reef or varying levels of a shipwreck. I rely on my computer to keep track of my NDL, and remaining air time, and I manage that data to make sure I have 500 lbs of air left at the end of the dive, and I never push the NDL to the limit.

Dive-aholic
08-01-2007, 00:12
What happens when your computer fails? What do you do then?

I do some planning for all of my dives. The extent of planning depends on the dive. If I'm doing a shallow dive that I've done dozens of times before, then I know what my limitations are. If I'm diving a cave that I've been in dozens of times before, the same thing goes. If I plan on pushing farther into the cave, or I'm doing a deeper dive in a new area, then I run the tables to know what my limitations are. I dive a computer, but it's my back up, whether I'm doing a recreational dive or a deco dive.

Wolfie2012
08-01-2007, 14:18

I do some planning for all of my dives. The extent of planning depends on the dive. If I'm doing a shallow dive that I've done dozens of times before, then I know what my limitations are. If I'm diving a cave that I've been in dozens of times before, the same thing goes. If I plan on pushing farther into the cave, or I'm doing a deeper dive in a new area, then I run the tables to know what my limitations are. I dive a computer, but it's my back up, whether I'm doing a recreational dive or a deco dive.

If the computer fails on a deep rec dive, that particular dive is over. On shallow <30 ft dives I have the backup gauges. Subsequent dives are either done on tables or if there is some question in my mind, the day is done with.

On that note, I've never had a computer fail but the contingency is there if I ever need it.

Queen
08-01-2007, 14:35
On most of my dives, which have been shore dives, I just go out with my buddy and explore the vast unknown. I don't really worry about depth so much as that's why I've got a computer. The biggest planning to me is getting to the site and getting wet. Once there we just tend to have a very very basic plan and go have fun. Of course there are the hot spots that we try to hit up.

Same here. I just dive for the fun of it and since I usually have male insta-buddies the "plan" is to hope they don't burn up all their air in 20 minutes. :smiley2:

ScottZeagle
08-01-2007, 15:22
When the reg stops breathing, come up.

;)

DirtyWaterIL
08-01-2007, 19:44
It depends on where i am and who I'm with. It can be a pretty defined plan, or as little as "give me a zip and let's go"

cummings66
08-01-2007, 19:54
Scott's got it right, almost. Dive until you run out, then grab your buddies regulator and dive until he runs out. Now the dive's over unless the DM is close at hand.:smiley29:

ScubyDoo
08-01-2007, 20:14

Obviosly if the computer fails, the dive is over. I always note the time at the beginning of the dive on my wrist watch, and I always keep track of my max depth. With this information in hand, I can easily log the dive with the tables once back aboard the boat. Sadly, my dive buddies dive would also be over, as I would need them to surface with me in case I ran out of air (no puter....no air gauge). Running out of air in that situation would be very unlikely however, as I check my computer regularly, and a failure would not go unnoticed for more than five minutes. My air would never be so low that I would run out within 5-10 minutes. Once back aboard the boat, I would replace my battery (I always carry a spare). If that didnt work, I would continue my dives based on the tables.

Dive-aholic
08-03-2007, 01:16
Okay, just checking. Some of the earlier posts indicated no contingency. I always check the time at the start of a dive and keep track of my depth. I also plan the dive before beginning it. That way, if my computer does fail during the dive, I can switch to tables during the dive and continue it based on the plan.

cummings66
08-03-2007, 21:05
I've had dives where if the computer quit I'd have to go home. Diving by tables the O2 clock is easily maxed out, it's one of those fudge factors if you keep diving by tables afterwards. If as has been said you've been keeping good track of stuff beyond max depth and time you might be able to keep diving. If max depth and time and mix is it you may be done diving.

deepdiver47
08-08-2007, 07:57
I always carry a backup computer (Vyper is primary, Mosquito is backup).
This is since I do not use dive table at all. I have grwon to trust my computers with my life (just liek we all do when we fly).

cummings66
08-08-2007, 18:05
Again, I hate to admit it. I use a iPAQ for navigation when I fly, and flight planning. I know how to do it manually but automation is so much more fun, I love gadgets.

Within certain limitations I trust computers to manage my life. It's not blind trust however because I kind of know what it should be telling me.

WV Diver
08-08-2007, 18:32
I didn't vote yet, I'm not sure which one to choose.

I think we need another choice here. I plan my dive and dive my plan. I condsider SAC rate, weather, temps, currents, safety stops, buddy's skills and all other logistical manners as much as I can.

Having said this, one must be flexible and open to changes on the fly. It happens pretty often but you obviously need to keep the safety concerns at the fore front. Knowing when and how to defer safely from the plan is what you learn as you gain experience.

I don't think that most dive planning is anywhere near rocket science, especially for those of us who are not doing deep tech type diving. A good plan should have a little wiggle room. Flexibility makes for a good diver. Just don't get crazy.

My buddy and I have a signal that we use. Like if one of us has reached his turn around air pressure or down time or one of several other reasons that we are calling the dive or it is time to begin our ascent we use it. It simply means it is time for me to turn around and that's what I'm going to do, if you don't come with me you're on your own, I can't stay any longer. When the signal is given we usaully know why or we communicate it. The point is that the signal means that I don't have time to wait on you to take another picture or whatever and I am not going to take anymore time to discuss it.

It works well for us and no hard feelings after the dive. It is a matter of safety or comfort and we respect it.

WV Diver
08-08-2007, 18:37
double post

cummings66
08-09-2007, 13:31
You can choose more than one thing in the poll. I know I did, I chose 3 different things. I believe knowing how to plan a deep dive is good, I know that it's not always necessary to go into that amount of detail. Some dives are nothing more than I'm going in here and see what's to be seen. Lets go. There's a place for each type of dive and the more experience you have the more flexibility you find you have in diving.

heydn62
11-08-2008, 11:54
Thus far I've only done shore diving, which I end when air supply is low and charter boat, which I follow the captains advice (and end when air supply is low.):smiley20:

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-09-2008, 14:29
As for me I'll put it this way.

I know my SCR, I know how to plan how much air I and my buddy will use. I plan the deeper dives all the time, but almost never do the shallow dives, as in 30 foot deep dives I only do a basic plan of where we're going and the normal signals because I already have a rough idea of how much air is needed at those shallow depths.

My plans are pretty flexible for the most part.

Me too.