PDA

View Full Version : Neptune II full-face mask

jobahed
07-27-2007, 17:53
Have any of you used (or regularly use) the Neptune II FFM? I dove with an Interspiro once and it was great.

My big reasons for being interested in FFM are:

1. Visibility
2. No cottonmouth
3. Possible upgrade to communication system
4. Did I mention visibility?

Would love to hear what you think about it. The Interspiro dive was, to this day, the best dive I've ever had.

-John

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 17:55
i had one on my face for a few minutes, and it was quite uncomfortable to me... dont know why, maybe its my weird face shape..
i felt like i was stuck in a bowl.

but never had any other full face on... so i cant compare it to anything else.

FishFood
07-27-2007, 18:01
IMO it's a waste of money unless your going with the comunication system, and you know someone else that has a radio to talk to.

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 22:15
that too is true... i seldom find myself in the water thinking... uhhm "i wish i could talk and ruin the tranquility"

i think that's a good thing for alot of research work, where you have to talk alot so you dont have to write a 5 page paper on slates underwater.

jerdr1
08-19-2007, 08:33
The mask is great for winter diving in Maine. No ice cream headache.

WV Diver
08-19-2007, 08:51
We have and use these reguarly in my work. They have diver to diver communications as well as diver to boat communication with the base station.

They are great for what we do as we dive in low to zero vis and need to trasmit data to the boat and get instructions from the boat when barge traffic and other safety issues arise.

I never use them for recreational diving. I really like the silence. I really see no real use for them outside of operations needing coordinated efforts among a dive team, like slavage, research and the like.

Personally I would never spend the bucks.

tlo51
01-12-2009, 15:06
Do you have any used FFM/Comms setups that you are trying to sell?? Very interested!! captlorino@yahoo.com

Clanggedin
01-13-2009, 09:39
I am interested in getting one someday. I was able to play with one a few weeks ago and was impressed. It was loaded with lights and a comm system. You can even get a receiver for those without an FFM so you can at talk to them.

lund0485
01-13-2009, 09:59
cotton mouth fix is good, ice cream headache fix is good, I hear that you generally use more air with a full face mask is the true?

CFDAlden
01-13-2009, 23:36
FFM are usually positive pressure, so the mask is always pressurised. That uses more air right there. How much more, I couldn't tell you.

Heffey
02-22-2009, 07:58
I have not tried A full face mask yet but I am looking at giving them a shot.

I sometimes have gag issues with the mouthpeice being in my mouth which is compounded with a bit of mid water motionsickness to make some dive situations very unplesent.

I am hoping that the ffm will do the trick.

cummings66
02-22-2009, 13:38
Being pressurized doesn't use more air, positive pressure means that it has pressure from inside pushing out. It doesn't leak out unless you break a seal.

The reason a FFM uses more air is because once it's on your face you are breathing from the cylinder where that is not the case with a regular scuba mask. I don't use more air in mine for example.

Another reason is that you might get into breathing like you would normally do which is a quick less than full breath which will use more air than the normal deep breath you take off a regulator, or should. IE when you breathe you use a full cycle, don't short cut it. That sometimes happens when you have a FFM. But if you use normal techniques and treat it the same as a normal mask then you will use the same amount of air.

Flatliner
02-22-2009, 13:43
I would love one when diving with my son. I think the ability to talk with him while diving would add an missing element to our diving together, as well as my peace of mind.

DivingAnarchy.info
02-22-2009, 20:16
What about the Kirby Morgan Supermask? It's a lot cheaper. Some time ago I did some research on FFM but couldn't find reviews on this one.

Drewskey
02-22-2009, 21:29
Hey guys... to those who have noted an interest in having these, I have seen this Craiglisting in my state (Arkansas), and have actually thought about getting this for my father-in-law and myself.

YMMV.

2 full face dive masks with wireless communications and land comm unit (http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/spo/1017672544.html)