PDA

View Full Version : Dive Computer Recharger

UCFKnightDiver
01-20-2008, 15:55
this is kind of to the rep who posts on here I was wondering if Oceanic/Aeris had ever thought about having the USB Download/Upload cable be able to recharge the battery on your dive computers sort of like an ipod recharges just a thought it would be cool to see this in some future models to eliminate or reduce the number of battery changes needed, because as I understand it the biggest case in dive computers flooding tends to be related to the changing of the batteries just a thought.

mitsuguy
01-20-2008, 17:33
this is kind of to the rep who posts on here I was wondering if Oceanic/Aeris had ever thought about having the USB Download/Upload cable be able to recharge the battery on your dive computers sort of like an ipod recharges just a thought it would be cool to see this in some future models to eliminate or reduce the number of battery changes needed, because as I understand it the biggest case in dive computers flooding tends to be related to the changing of the batteries just a thought.

that is a great idea... one I have actually kinda wondered about myself...

Keep the user replaceable battery, but make sure it's rechargeable...

cummings66
01-20-2008, 20:14
If rechargeable could be given the current and lifespan of a lithium it would indeed be a nice solution to the issue. Of course given my VT3's cantankerous behavior with it's usb implementation I wonder how many times it'd get a low charge.

mitsuguy
01-20-2008, 20:31
If rechargeable could be given the current and lifespan of a lithium it would indeed be a nice solution to the issue. Of course given my VT3's cantankerous behavior with it's usb implementation I wonder how many times it'd get a low charge.

I'd much rather have a DC with a 100 hr rechargeable battery that recharges via USB over a lithium powered one that lasts twice as long, but requires disassembly, or at least removal of a cover to change out even a cheap battery....

room I know is a concern, but I know they can make the DC internals small, (hell they fit them into tiny watches), and most are just fine with slightly larger than watch DC's (my atmos 2 and veo 180 are just fine in size), so, use some of the extra room for a rechargeable battery...

and while you're at it, work on a better USB implementation... hell, my blackberry transfers all kinds of data to/from my PC, and charges its battery via USB at the same time...

Keep in mind, I do understand the need for a different connector than standard USB, but I know it can be done...

Hollywood703
03-15-2008, 10:39

Yes, they need to come up with a new Plug port on the Unit itself, half the time it just falls off the unit while sitting on my sek downloading.

freeski4ever
06-05-2008, 01:14
Unfortunately I think it's a bit more complicated than what you have mentioned. The pins on the PC Connection port already act as more than just a data port; they double as the unit activation pins when the unit is exposed to water. Since I do not have the schematics for the DC, it is impossible to say for certain whether or not the PC port pins have direct contact with the battery, and if so, whether they possess the ability to charge the internal battery.

I think it is a great idea to have a DC that has the option of recharging though the USB cable, however I do not think that any of the DC's on the market today have that functionality built in.

rawalker
06-05-2008, 01:45
I think it's a great idea but may take a major reengineering considering the fact that the USB port it also the continuity contacts that sense when the computer is wet.

Geoff_T
06-05-2008, 01:57
Also keep in mind that you are connecting the battery directly to the water when you go down. I am no electrical engineer here but I belive with power systems if it flows one way it generaly flows the other. this would cause a short to the system as well as the alerdy mentioned fact that usb has a limited number of pins and im sure they are alerdy being used.

rawalker
06-05-2008, 02:15
The electrical flow can be stopped in 1 direction by using a diode. It's essentially a 1 way valve for electricty.

Geoff_T
06-05-2008, 02:19
The electrical flow can be stopped in 1 direction by using a diode. It's essentially a 1 way valve for electricty.

Yeah I just was'nt sure if this would work for the stronger currents used for chargeing though I guss its just a matter of size.