PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Dacor Steel Tank

kancho
01-20-2008, 23:33
Did I make a mistake buying a Vintage Dacor Steel tank, I think it is 60Cubic tank. Last time it was hydroed was 84. I think the manufacture date is 67. Will Dive shops hydro this? It has a an old valve that has a reserve lever. I paid 35 bucks.. It had 1600 psi in it.. Will it be even worth it getting hydroed?

UCFKnightDiver
01-20-2008, 23:59
well one thing is that valve with the lever is a J valve and they had that because at one point they didnt have tank pressure guages so when you ran out of air you would pull that valve and have an extra I think 500 psi to breath. as to your original question I dont have a clue but steels are not like aluminums in the sense that dive shops wont typicaly fill aluminums if made pre 90's so I think you may have a chance of it passing hydro

Crimediver
01-21-2008, 04:47
The fact that it has air in it is a good thing as it will prevent humid air from getting into the tank. This may have prevented the interior from rusting. It may possibly need to be tumbled. Steel tanks last forever if taken care of. The steel 72 tanks have excellent bouyancy characteristics and I dive them a lot. Nothing wrong with a j-valve. If your tank does not have a rod to pull the J-valve down, remember to keep it in the downward position. Some of the early steel tank valves came with a safety pressure relief plug that had a lead plug in it that would blow out if pressure in the tank got to dangerous levels. If yours has that. replace it with a burst disc of the appropriate rating.

A lot of folks will tell you that tank is obsolete but I disagree. Only hassle is adjusting your tank bands to fit a smaller tank diameter. As I recall it should be around 6.9 inches. Get it hydroed and a viz and dive it.

kancho
01-21-2008, 07:11
The fact that it has air in it is a good thing as it will prevent humid air from getting into the tank. This may have prevented the interior from rusting. It may possibly need to be tumbled. Steel tanks last forever if taken care of. The steel 72 tanks have excellent bouyancy characteristics and I dive them a lot. Nothing wrong with a j-valve. If your tank does not have a rod to pull the J-valve down, remember to keep it in the downward position. Some of the early steel tank valves came with a safety pressure relief plug that had a lead plug in it that would blow out if pressure in the tank got to dangerous levels. If yours has that. replace it with a burst disc of the appropriate rating.

A lot of folks will tell you that tank is obsolete but I disagree. Only hassle is adjusting your tank bands to fit a smaller tank diameter. As I recall it should be around 6.9 inches. Get it hydroed and a viz and dive it.

Yup the smaller diameter is somewhat of a pain. I ahve to buy another boot for it. It didn't come with one...

Thanks all your info. Hopefully it passes without problems.

BSea
01-21-2008, 08:56
Those old 72's are great tanks. I have several, with 1 set of doubles that have been O2 cleaned. You should have no problem having them pass hydro. As others have said, they have great bouyancy charateristics. I usually use 1 for my 2nd lake dives as that dive is usually shallow. And for dives less than 40', it has all the air I need.

kancho
01-22-2008, 08:44
Anyone know how to clean inside the tank. I opened it up and saw there were some crap in it. No rust but some dried up fluid..

cummings66
01-22-2008, 12:34
I don't know your tank, but in general you tumble a tank to clean it. Now some tanks had liners in them and many times that liner turns into junk, could that be what you see? Otherwise tumble it.

kancho
01-24-2008, 16:34
Sent it in for Hydro now we have to wait and see. they want to charge me 10 bucks for a burst conversion kit. The one that is on there is illegal or something to that extent. 40 bucks for hydro,viz,disk conv. and fill. 30 bucks if it fails hydro haha.

BSea
01-24-2008, 16:55
Sent it in for Hydro now we have to wait and see. they want to charge me 10 bucks for a burst conversion kit. The one that is on there is illegal or something to that extent. 40 bucks for hydro,viz,disk conv. and fill. 30 bucks if it fails hydro haha.Some of the older burst devices used kind of a bb. If it failed, the bb shot out with up to 3000 psi of air compressed gas behind it. It could be deadly. $10 for a vis, fill & disk conversion seems about right. The $30 for the hydro you'll pay anyway.

kancho
01-25-2008, 09:53
Sent it in for Hydro now we have to wait and see. they want to charge me 10 bucks for a burst conversion kit. The one that is on there is illegal or something to that extent. 40 bucks for hydro,viz,disk conv. and fill. 30 bucks if it fails hydro haha.Some of the older burst devices used kind of a bb. If it failed, the bb shot out with up to 3000 psi of air compressed gas behind it. It could be deadly. $10 for a vis, fill & disk conversion seems about right. The $30 for the hydro you'll pay anyway.

Actually the 30 dollars is for hydro viz and fill.. 10 dollars for the conversion kit. But the 30 dollars is a set price, if it fails i still have to pay it.. Oh well.. If it passes I would of spent 75 dollars for a tank that is approx. 40yrs old. Sounds a bit expensive haha..

MSilvia
01-25-2008, 10:01
75 bucks for a steel 72 tank with a new hydro isn't bad at all. Even if it fails the next hydro (which it most likely will pass), it only cost you $15/year +vis.

BSea
01-25-2008, 10:12
Actually the 30 dollars is for hydro viz and fill.. 10 dollars for the conversion kit. But the 30 dollars is a set price, if it fails i still have to pay it.. Oh well.. If it passes I would of spent 75 dollars for a tank that is approx. 40yrs old. Sounds a bit expensive haha..
Prices vary. Here a Hydro cost $30 by itself. A annual VIP includes servicing the valve. I can't remember the cost since I do it myself.

And BTW, $75 for a steel 72 with a new hydro & VIP is pretty much the going rate around here. So I think you did well.