PDA

View Full Version : Luxfer cylinders

RECDiver
01-22-2008, 13:15
A question for Joe or Larry. What brand of aluminum cylinders does ST sell? Thanks.

coyote
01-22-2008, 16:27
I not sure if it's all they sell, but the two I bought from ST were luxfer.

RoyN
01-22-2008, 16:36
All of them I assume is Luxfer!

MLenyo
01-23-2008, 15:38
what does luxfer mean? i've looked at a bunch of sites, ebay auctions, and whatnot and i'm not sure what it means..

BSea
01-23-2008, 15:55
what does luxfer mean? i've looked at a bunch of sites, ebay auctions, and whatnot and i'm not sure what it means..
Luxfer is a brand name. Like Zeagle is a brand of BCs (and other things).

in_cavediver
01-23-2008, 16:45
Catalina is the other major Al tank maker. Older tanks may be Walter Kidde, luxfer, Catalina etc.

MLenyo
01-23-2008, 16:46
Luxfer is a brand name. Like Zeagle is a brand of BCs (and other things).

now i know! thanks for the info.

CaptainRon
01-23-2008, 22:14
We have gotten both Luxfer and Catalina from ST...

mike_s
01-23-2008, 22:51

both AL80's from Luxfer or Catalina are very similar. If you used them without knowing which was which, you wouldn't be able to tell any difference.

either one is good as an AL80.

Aussie
01-27-2008, 04:55

both AL80's from Luxfer or Catalina are very similar. If you used them without knowing which was which, you wouldn't be able to tell any difference.

either one is good as an AL80.

I thought there was an issue with Catalinas being more positive bouyant when empty. Thats why you see tech divers prefering Luxfers as their stage cylinders.

Aussie

JahJahwarrior
01-27-2008, 07:45
The difference in bouyancy is a pound or two, it's not a HUGE difference, just a difference. :)

On theinternet, people dicker and fight and scream and yell and get their underwear in a wad over what is the "best regulator" and which wing they should use and how about these fins, or those fins, and which company makes the most comfy mask. In real life, people dive what they have. On the internet, Luxfers are better than Catalinas. In real life, catalinas will hold air just like a luxfer will.... :D

navyhmc
01-27-2008, 11:17
The difference in bouyancy is a pound or two, it's not a HUGE difference, just a difference. :)

On theinternet, people dicker and fight and scream and yell and get their underwear in a wad over what is the "best regulator" and which wing they should use and how about these fins, or those fins, and which company makes the most comfy mask. In real life, people dive what they have. On the internet, Luxfers are better than Catalinas. In real life, catalinas will hold air just like a luxfer will.... :D

Spoken like a man who uses Catalina cylinders... :D

He is right though. If you're doing recreational diving, the difference is negligable, if your going tech or cave, then you definitely want the reliability and there the weight makes a difference. Go with what you like/have/can pay for.

DarinMartell
01-27-2008, 11:33

If you are looking on e-bay be careful of the Luxfer's made 1990 and before. I think these are the one's that have ruptured and you may have a hard time getting them filled.

navyhmc
01-27-2008, 11:47

If you are looking on e-bay be careful of the Luxfer's made 1990 and before. I think these are the one's that have ruptured and you may have a hard time getting them filled.

Absolutely! The cut off date is 1988. Cylinders before 1989 are made with 6351 aluminum some of which have suffered some sustained load cracks and some have ruptured. On e-bay, you will notice that the same cylinders show up all the time-even looking at the stickers on the tanks I can tell they're pre-1989.

Buy with caution and caveat emptor!

WD8CDH
01-27-2008, 21:11
The biggest diferance between Catalina and Luxfer is in the 30 cf tanks. The Catalina is 5.25" diameter and 20 inches long and the Luxfer is only 4.88" diameter and a little over 21 inches long.

SarahBella
01-28-2008, 06:52
The biggest diferance between Catalina and Luxfer is in the 30 cf tanks. The Catalina is 5.25" diameter and 20 inches long and the Luxfer is only 4.88" diameter and a little over 21 inches long.

My husband and I were looking into a 30 for a pony set up-now that I know the size difference maybe we will try and get the one that fits better-He will be slinging it not me.

anvil
01-28-2008, 10:54
I bought a second hand Luxfer of the older type, took it in for a hydro and found cracks in the the neck, Previous to then Luxfer had a deal where they would discount a new bottle if you traded the affected ones.As this had expired my local shop contacted them and they agreed to do the deal for me. as a result I have a 95ft high pressure bottle for a couple of hundred dollars in total. Good on them.

Super-Duper Scubasteve
01-29-2008, 14:52
My favorite cylinder is the one with air in it.