PDA

View Full Version : Olympus camera & Ikelite housing

mona
01-22-2008, 18:06
I've been looking at trading in some 'reward points' to get a new digital camera.
Initially it didn't occur to me that my new camera could also be used for U/W photography; all I need is to be sure I can get a compatible waterproof housing. Regardless of whether I can get a housing or not I will be getting the camera as I need one for everyday/travel. The camera I'm looking at is an Olympus Stylus 820.

Anyways, my question relates to Ikelite housings. I saw some of you mention these housings on various posts and found them online. Seems they are working on developing one for the Stylus 820. When purchasing a camera is it best to get one that the manufacturer produces a compatible housing for it? Is Ikelite similar to a generic version of the housing for the particular camera? (Olympus doesn't have a housing for the Stylus 820 but if Ikelite does come out with one and it was okay to use then I certainly would consider getting one to allow for dual use of my camera!).
I'd appreciate your comments.

Puffer Fish
01-22-2008, 21:53
I've been looking at trading in some 'reward points' to get a new digital camera.
Initially it didn't occur to me that my new camera could also be used for U/W photography; all I need is to be sure I can get a compatible waterproof housing. Regardless of whether I can get a housing or not I will be getting the camera as I need one for everyday/travel. The camera I'm looking at is an Olympus Stylus 820.

Anyways, my question relates to Ikelite housings. I saw some of you mention these housings on various posts and found them online. Seems they are working on developing one for the Stylus 820. When purchasing a camera is it best to get one that the manufacturer produces a compatible housing for it? Is Ikelite similar to a generic version of the housing for the particular camera? (Olympus doesn't have a housing for the Stylus 820 but if Ikelite does come out with one and it was okay to use then I certainly would consider getting one to allow for dual use of my camera!).
I'd appreciate your comments.

A lot of questions there....

Ikelite makes great housing, they tend to be bigger and tougher than the one sold by the maker. They also tend to be a bit bigger, cost more and are not as elegant.

To my knowledge, none of the the japanese actually make housings, they appear to mostly be made by the same company.

You should also know that "working to develop one" does not mean that they will. It means they most likely will.

If you get a mfg housing, to use it with strobes will require some "modifications"..but I find they work really well. They usually are not rated for as deep as Ikelite, and their are optional extra lens for most of their cases.

If you are going to use the UW housing by itself, then the mfg type housing is ideal. If you are going to use it with strobes and other equipment, then the ikelite should at least be consided.

mona
01-23-2008, 11:07
Thanks PufferFish. Yes, I realize that although working on developing a case doesn't mean they will actually end up with one but I just figured I could keep an eye on the site or even contact them once in a while and who knows maybe in the long run I could end up with a housing for the camera (it would be an unexpected bonus and allow me to use the camera underwater if I want).
Sounds like a good option to get an Ikelite housing if available as it allows for use of other accessories such as strobes, etc as you mention (so it leaves door open to expand on my ability to do UW photography if I wish).
I wasn't looking for a camera thinking of UW photography (I wasn't a diver when I started thinking of getting a camera) and I'm not really at a point where I feel I have a need to really further investigate re: cameras that have to come with a housing or would be used primarily for diving....it would just be a bonus at this time if the camera I get has a housing available.

Sorry for long posts, I do appreciate your input and help!

Puffer Fish
01-23-2008, 12:21
Thanks PufferFish. Yes, I realize that although working on developing a case doesn't mean they will actually end up with one but I just figured I could keep an eye on the site or even contact them once in a while and who knows maybe in the long run I could end up with a housing for the camera (it would be an unexpected bonus and allow me to use the camera underwater if I want).
Sounds like a good option to get an Ikelite housing if available as it allows for use of other accessories such as strobes, etc as you mention (so it leaves door open to expand on my ability to do UW photography if I wish).
I wasn't looking for a camera thinking of UW photography (I wasn't a diver when I started thinking of getting a camera) and I'm not really at a point where I feel I have a need to really further investigate re: cameras that have to come with a housing or would be used primarily for diving....it would just be a bonus at this time if the camera I get has a housing available.

Sorry for long posts, I do appreciate your input and help!
Nothing wrong with a long posts (except Larry and Joe might not like their server being filled up).

I hope that most people who get a camera, use it on land also, I know I do. (ok, I actually have two, one for land and one for UW, and if and when I flood the uw one, I use the land one in it's place.

There are so many good camera's out there right now, that picking one that can go uw later, but still is nice on the surface is easy (or hard, if you have difficulty making a decision).

Ikelite usually does make housing they work on, only reason they would not is some control or button issue that they cannot make in the case.